Band Six for english standard? (1 Viewer)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Teachers have always advised students to take the Advanced course if they are capable of doing so.

If a student chooses not to follow that advice and decides to take Standard anyway, I don't think any complaint on their part would be valid.

A l

HSC
N/A
Lazarus said:
Teachers have always advised students to take the Advanced course if they are capable of doing so.
I would like to note that a teacher's interpretation of a student is highly subjective and in some cases inaccurate.

Estelle

Lazarus said:

If a student chooses not to follow that advice and decides to take Standard anyway, I don't think any complaint on their part would be valid.
i absolutely agree, i think if someone wishes to acheive band 6 or even 5 in english they should not pick standard in the first place.

HSC
I got discouraged by my SC results (58%) but my teacher even in year 10 said I should consider advanced and if I polish up my basic english (ironically) that I should do extension 1, I don't know what he was smoking but he said I had a really good nack for picking up techniques and creative writing D:

MeehShanku

MeehShankU
HSC
well my teacher said that in the 4 yr history of the new syllabus ONLY 1 person got a band 6 n she said that they should hav done 4u english. Again this is what my teacher said, when shes been marking it for yonks

Estelle

MeehShanku said:
well my teacher said that in the 4 yr history of the new syllabus ONLY 1 person got a band 6 n she said that they should hav done 4u english. Again this is what my teacher said, when shes been marking it for yonks
i'm pretty sure thats right, our teacher said only 2 people got band 5 from standard last year and she's also a marker whos being doing it for many years. Everyone is trying to say i'm wrong but i think theyre just bitter cause they wont believe that standard people just cant get good! i dont care if i am being rude either, if you want band 5 or 6 just choose advanced gees your just going to be dissapointed with your results if you expect that from standard.

A l

HSC
N/A
Estelle said:
Everyone is trying to say i'm wrong but i think theyre just bitter cause they wont believe that standard people just cant get good!
Actually, you just can't accept the fact that you are wrong in some aspects of your argument. You have no solid proof other than comments from teachers which are sometimes inaccurate. You are making a dangerous assumption that anyone who chooses English (Standard) is academically incompetent.

There are definitely more than 2 people who scored band 5 in English Standard and if you check the Board of Studies website, you'll have all the facts you'll need. I'm sure that is a more reliable source than the words of a teacher. I think that your teacher only marked 2 papers herself which totalled to a band 5 or two people scored band 5 in RAW MARKS which are aligned upwards possibly to a band 6. If you check the UAC Scaling Report, in the FAQ, (http://www.uac.edu.au/pubs/pdf/tsc-report-2004.pdf) there is a constant repetition every year that ENGLISH STANDARD AND ENGLISH ADVANCED ARE PLACED ON A COMMON SCALE.

No large candidature course would be scaled as negatively as you described it.
It is apprently clear that you have not gone through the following thread:
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=54082
Choosing between Standard and Advanced is not necessarily a question of ability in English. Unfortunately, that is what everyone perceives it to be thanks to the connotations in the name of the courses. It is rather the interests that a student possesses in different areas of English which determine which is best for them.

A student may favour certain texts studied in English (Standard) and choose that course because of the interests in the texts. He or she may still be excellent in English and his or her marks will be better because the particular texts are within his or her area of interest.
Also, if a person prefers to study the context of a text and how this shapes meaning of a text, rather than the aspect of language, then he or she would be suited to English (Advanced) because it emphasises this concept more than English (Standard). It does not matter whether this person is academically competent or not, it is simply on the basis of personal interest.

There are certainly many people out there who have a high academic ability in English, but choose to take English Standard. However, this does not mean that their abilities will go to waste; not at all. High marks above 90 are ceratinly attainable, but has yet to achieved. You seem to think that everyone who chooses English (Standard) is downright stupid if they want to get band 5 or band 6. What if they do not like the texts studied in English (Advanced)? Their lack of interest in the course will be more detrimental for their marks.

Also, I would like to note that those who scored band 6 in English Standard are approximately in the top 1% of the state candidature for both 2 unit English courses. In other words the people who scored band 6 in English Standard scored scaled marks that are higher than about 99% of those who did English (Advanced). Observe the following table:
http://www.uac.edu.au/pubs/pdf/2004-Table-A3.pdf
Look at the top HSC mark in English Standard. The person who scored 90 in English Standard last year received a scaled mark of 46.5/50. Now look at the 99th percentile (top 1%) of English Advanced which scored a scaled mark of 46.6/50. In terms of scaled marks they are very close and the top person in English Standard beat nearly 99% of the English Advanced students in terms of scaled marks. Even look at the 75th percentile (top 25%) for English (Advanced) and the 99th percentile (top 1%) of English (Standard). The scaled marks are roughly the same and getting hence a low band 5 in English Standard places you in the mid-band 5 equivalent in English Advanced as the top 25% of the English (Advanced) candidature.
This shows that there are students that are much more academically talented than you think doing English Standard.

I have more evidence to show that there is no disadvantage in doing English (Standard) as opposed to English (Advanced). But for the sake of explaining them in detail, I hope you see my point and stop implying offence to some people in this thread. If you still disagree, then you are disagreeing with facts and actual statistics published by the Board of Studies and the Unviersity Admissions Centre.

Last edited:

Estelle

okay i have seen the statisics

but i wasnt trying to say that they scale you down for being in standard at all!

I was simply stating that it is more benefitial to do advanced, and you cant argue with that. The way the advanced course is taught makes it easier for students to acheive band 5 or 6. Why, if you wanted that kind of mark, would you knowingly choose a subject name "STANDARD", therefore catoring to students of a standard ability, hence advanced catoring to an advanced ability. I personally just find it agitating to see all the standard people thinking they can acheive band 5 and 6 with the easy work they have to do! People i know work so so so hard in advanced and its a struggle to get band 5, let alone 6 for even them. When you choose a subject thats designed for people of lesser abilty, why expect to acheive as well, its okay if your aiming for it, i'm sure a lot of people can get quite good, but aiming too high will just get you dissapointed.

hobbsy4

Hardcore Member
HSC
My teacher, a hsc marker, forced us to do advanced english, as in her words 'They scale down Standard English.' she also said that the BOS said it was 'unlikely' for a student to be given a band 6 result in standard english.

Always

HSC
hobbsy4 said:
My teacher, a hsc marker, forced us to do advanced english, as in her words 'They scale down Standard English.' she also said that the BOS said it was 'unlikely' for a student to be given a band 6 result in standard english.
That's ridiculous! My teachers are encouraging me to do standard english as they believe it's easier (for me) to obtain marks at that level. I'm no english scholar, but I got 89 in the SC which I thought was a fair mark in english for me.

Just because a student chooses the advanced course does not mean they will do better than if they did standard. It may be hard to obtain a band 6 in standard, but it is equally as hard to do so in advanced english. Scaling will not work in anyone's favour unless they do well.

P

pLuvia

It's basically impossible to get over band 5 let alone get band 6

nwatts

HSC
playboy2njoy said:
Ahh... But in my case, I was perfectly able to do 4unit, but I couldnt enter the advanced course because it was supposedly 'full'. Now that's a disadvantage to me, which shows how the system doesn't work.
Rofl. With your understanding of intertextuality? Sure.. go for 4 unit.

Move schools if your course was full. Obviously you weren't good enough.

wengsheng621

HSC
don't even think abt getting band 6 in standard eng... my frkn teacher said it would be scaling down so hard that normal student would only get a band 4

skyline

Proud Aurion TRD owner
HSC
N/A
ud wanna do the maths properly mate coz it was about 2.5% out of 30000 students in the state for standard whom got band 5 which is about an equivalent of 750 of those students achieving a band 5.. so dont exagerrate because it is possible for any standard student to achieve....

peace out!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)