Band 6 in 2U (1 Viewer)

[Damo]

HSC
What raw mark would be the cut off for a band 6 in the actual HSC exam?

rama_v

HSC
I'd say around 100/120 should make it into band six, but its just an estimate at the very best, and it varies from year to year

香港!

HSC
ya... people have asked about it long time ago, and according to information last time it was 94\120

r.haidar

not crusin til schoolies!
HSC
doesnt it depend on how well everyone else goes? if a massive amout of people get 60% then the cut off for a band 6 will go down wont it? i think it varies on how well people do each year as long as the marks are close. if u get 94/120 and the rest of australia gets lik 105 u will get scaled down according to what ive bin told.

rama_v

HSC
r.haidar said:
doesnt it depend on how well everyone else goes? if a massive amout of people get 60% then the cut off for a band 6 will go down wont it? i think it varies on how well people do each year as long as the marks are close. if u get 94/120 and the rest of australia gets lik 105 u will get scaled down according to what ive bin told.
This is what Laz said
Lazarus said:
No, that's incorrect.

Your raw mark undergoes a process whereby it is "aligned" to the set standards for the course (and is thus typically called an aligned mark). It has nothing to do with the performance of other students. Theoretically, everyone could be given a mark in Band 6 - but they would need to produce work of Band 6 quality.

For example, take a look at the Band 5 standards for Mathematics:

Quote:
Exhibits sound knowledge and skills appropriate to the Mathematics course.
Uses multi-step logical reasoning in both numerical and theoretical contexts such as problems in calculus, geometry and probability.
Combines ideas of calculus with algebraic, deductive and modelling skills to successfully solve many difficult problems.
Exhibits a wide range of problem-solving skills such as applications of series.
Communicates effectively using mathematical language, notation, diagrams, and graphs.

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.a...04_12_15240.htm

If those qualities are evident in your exam response, you'll get a Band 5 mark.

HSC
you may get band 6, but in 2 unit that doesn't contribute that much to your uai, you need to get about 94 and above to allow it to contribute. so about 100 is a pretty good mark

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
r.haidar said:
Thats wrong. The board of studies pre-determines what raw marks correspond to what band, so theoretically everyone can get a band 6 if they all get above the band 6 cutoff that the board determined. And to answer the question asked, no one can tell you what this cutoff is.

ifsonotso_100 said:
you may get band 6, but in 2 unit that doesn't contribute that much to your uai, you need to get about 94 and above to allow it to contribute. so about 100 is a pretty good mark
That is also not true, a 90 in 2 unit last year would have contributed almost as much as a 90 in the sciences or humanities.

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
ifsonotso_100 said:
don't all subjets contribute the same after aligning or is that after scaling?

HSC
N/A
acmilan said:
Thats wrong. The board of studies pre-determines what raw marks correspond to what band, so theoretically everyone can get a band 6 if they all get above the band 6 cutoff that the board determined. And to answer the question asked, no one can tell you what this cutoff is.

That is also not true, a 90 in 2 unit last year would have contributed almost as much as a 90 in the sciences or humanities.
yeah .. that's what i heard - that it's predetermined after the examiners and BOS people look at the questions and see how easy/hard they are for that particular year

but i also heard that how everyone else goes also contributes to it ..

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
princessj said:
if i get a school assesment mark of 90.... wat do i need to get in the hsc to get a final mark of 95??? ( just for 2u maths)
Theres no way to tell, it depends on what you are ranked in your school, how your school performs, what mark you actually get in the hsc exam etc.

If you are ranked first in your school, then a hsc exam mark of 95 will give you a final mark of 95.

princessj

PRINCESS JACKLIN!!!
HSC
lol nah not sad....
my question was..... if i get a school assessment mark of 90 how much do i need to get in the hsc to get a final mark of 95 or higher after scaling n all.... for 2u maths~

princessj

PRINCESS JACKLIN!!!
HSC
acmilan said:
Theres no way to tell, it depends on what you are ranked in your school, how your school performs, what mark you actually get in the hsc exam etc.

If you are ranked first in your school, then a hsc exam mark of 95 will give you a final mark of 95.
hmmm thanx... guess theres no hope since im ranked 5/45.... *sigh*

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)