balancing work + school (1 Viewer)

LaLaLa3

HSC
just wondering how many of youu work and how often?

i work 10-12 hours a week, it dosen't seem to intefere with my school work at all, but im wondering if ill need to cut down my hours for year 12.

HSC
LaLaLa3 said:
just wondering how many of youu work and how often?

i work 10-12 hours a week, it dosen't seem to intefere with my school work at all, but im wondering if ill need to cut down my hours for year 12.
At the moment, I work between 8-11 hours per week (and are in Year 11). I started the year working 3 days a week, ie Monday (3.30-6.30)/Thursday(5.30-9.30)/Saturday(7.30-3.30) as this was what I was doing through Year 10. I soon realised that this was way too much, and I cut out my Monday arvo shift. It meant that I ahd to change from Part Time to Casual, but I was okay with that (they also said that if I wanted to change back to pt I'd be able to).

But for your second question, I honestly don't know. There are quite a few people at my work who manage Year 12 and around about 11 or so hours a week, but I don't know how well they do. I guess you and i (and everyone else) will just have to experiment and not be afraid to ask for less hours if thats whats required.

Cheap Thrills

HSC
I normally work 8-10 hours a week, and its getting a bit much. I just got back from a shift. 6pm-12.15. NOT HAPPY:burn:

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
=/ those are pretty bad hours you do there Cheap Thrills. I wouldn't be fine with working like that.

cccclaire

HSC
I used to, all through year 10 and some of year 11.
I used to work a thursday night (5-9) and a sunday (10-4) and I got around $80 a week.
But school became too much a bit into term one. I found myself always getting sick (I think because I was putting my body into stress) and having to rush assignments and stuff. Also I started asking for no thursday shifts and they went a bit bitchy at me.
Last year I also did heaps of netball, I'd coach, umpire and play and it basically took up my whole saturday. I didn't really have time to do any school-work (but it was year 10 so who cares right?)
So when netball started this year I quit my job, I miss the money sooo much, but I managed to save a bit so thats alright.

The fact that I absolutely hated my job sorta influenced me quitting too.
One of the girls who worked at my work last year did her HSC and she managed a 97.5 - she used to work thursday + saturday +sunday too sometimes.

Cheap Thrills

HSC
sle3pe3bumz said:
=/ those are pretty bad hours you do there Cheap Thrills. I wouldn't be fine with working like that.
Yes well I can safely state that it eats ass

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
15 hour of work and about 7 hours of sport

fiona.p

HSC
i work about 16 hours a week and im going alright i guess...only failed one assessment so far =P I have to rush a lot of assessments though lol...i think i'll have to cut down to like 8-10 hours in year 12.

HSC
cccclaire said:
But school became too much a bit into term one. I found myself always getting sick (I think because I was putting my body into stress) and having to rush assignments and stuff. Also I started asking for no thursday shifts and they went a bit bitchy at me.
Last year I also did heaps of netball, I'd coach, umpire and play and it basically took up my whole saturday. I didn't really have time to do any school-work (but it was year 10 so who cares right?)
So when netball started this year I quit my job, I miss the money sooo much, but I managed to save a bit so thats alright.
I too played heaps of netball last year, and umpired too. Unfortunately when I got my job in August last year, netball season wasn't over yet. This is why I worked a few afternoons a week instead of Saturdays. But this year, I quit netball - there were 8 people in my team, 4 got jobs that make them work saturdays, and another two were no longer in our age group. This sucked majorly, but I knew that I wasn't going to be able to go on my schools east coast tour (I live in Perth - thats why its so spesh) unless I worked Saturdays. I know that after I come back from that at the end of July I will have to save furiously, knowing that I'll cut my hours back next year.

van.tango

HSC
My job is really irregular, so I vary between 3 hours a week up to a single 10 hour shift a week. It's the pits, pretty much. I wish I could use Year 12 as an excuse not to have a job, but it so wouldn't work.

Telekinetik

ça m'a fait du bien
HSC
My English teacher told us all "It's not possible to juggle both a working job and the HSC", but I honestly think it depends on the person.

wynnedoze

HSC
Yay!! Self employed!! I tecnically work one hour a week, but it often streches about 15 mins over and i have to prepare before it, so probably around 1 & 1/2 hours. With possible expansion to hours and a pay rise. Even better. And teaching music means good pay (for our age).

Telekinetik said:
My English teacher told us all "It's not possible to juggle both a working job and the HSC", but I honestly think it depends on the person.

I really recon it depends on the person, as well as how many units they want to take on. atm, i'm planning on 13 and dropping any if theres too much, but it helps that I have a good job and can afford to spend the time on school and other things that I want to.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)