Bad Teachers (1 Viewer)

pawabola

HSC
How important is the interaction with teachers for the process of learning.. ?

Some teachers at my school are just terribly lazy and bad at teaching, he literally lacks the ability and knowledge to teach the subject. What are your thoughts on bad teachers ?

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
i think its just bad luck, just make sure u dont end up blaming them for ur (bad) results. u cud always talk with the head of the department and like dob them in, or just like learn everything urself, which is pretty hard...i dunno

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
teachers are just there to guide you really. When it comes to HSC and everything, you shouldn't really blame teachers...

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Teachers play a role - but it's not as significant as some may think. Really - I think you can self study easily - especially with subjects like Business Studies, Religion and all those theory based subjects.

Teachers are important for subjects like English and Maths though.

verdades

HSC
I find that teachers have an impact on me, because I rely on them to explain the initial concept of the work.
I've had a couple who I simply didn't think do this well, and because I considered them to be a "bad" teacher, I didn't bother with the class as much as I could.
I also acknowledge that I am picky with practical subjects - the teacher shouldn't make a mistake, or not know what they're doing in them.
And that I'm extremely judgemental.

It probably depends on yourself, how much you actually need interaction with a good teacher.
Practical subjects, sciences, English and maths'd be beneficial to have a teacher you considered to be "good", though.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Teachers are important. If you have a shit teacher you won't do as well if you had a good teacher.

dp624

HSC
Nah not really,take my phys into account.
I had a good teacher for yr11 and did badly
a worse teacher for yr12 and i snapped it.

maybe crapper teacher motivated me more lol

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
the-derivative said:
Teachers play a role - but it's not as significant as some may think. Really - I think you can self study easily - especially with subjects like Business Studies, Religion and all those theory based subjects.

English especially, since learning yourself is much easier with Maths.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
Nah not really,take my phys into account.
I had a good teacher for yr11 and did badly
a worse teacher for yr12 and i snapped it.

maybe crapper teacher motivated me more lol
That's in your own situation...everyone is different.

But in general, I think better teachers definitely help. But I don't really care because having good/bad teachers really don't have much impcat.

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
Timothy.Siu said:
i think its just bad luck, just make sure u dont end up blaming them for ur (bad) results. u cud always talk with the head of the department and like dob them in, or just like learn everything urself, which is pretty hard...i dunno
erm, what if the crap teacher is the HoD? you're pretty much screwed then. /anecdote

teachers can make a significant difference, especially if they're the ones writing the textbooks or know the ins-and-outs of the board of studies requirements and give you extra tips on what to do. if you have a crap teacher, well, there's no nice way to tell them to STFU and they're unlikely to let you got to the library so you can do independent research.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
gouge.away said:
erm, what if the crap teacher is the HoD? you're pretty much screwed then. /anecdote

teachers can make a significant difference, especially if they're the ones writing the textbooks or know the ins-and-outs of the board of studies requirements and give you extra tips on what to do. if you have a crap teacher, well, there's no nice way to tell them to STFU and they're unlikely to let you got to the library so you can do independent research.
So true...

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
gouge.away said:

Yeah. It's really draining going into a class every day knowing you're going to waste so many periods of time because what your teacher's making you do isn't helping you learn. When you have a bad teacher, yeah, you can often take yourself through stuff to learn it. But this really effectively doubles up the amount of work you have to do at home (you have to not only teach yourself initial ideas but practice them as well) simply because you can't do your own thing in class - so all your class time is wasted.

Last edited:

-tal-

HSC
naisAtoN said:
Yeah. It's really draining going into a class every day knowing you're going to waste so many periods of time because what your teacher's making you do isn't helping you learn. When you have a bad teacher, yeah, you can often take yourself through stuff to learn it. But this really effectively doubles up the amount of work you have to do at home (you have to not only teach yourself initial ideas but practice them as well) simply because you can't do your own thing in class - so all your class time is wasted.
qft.

My English teacher - she's lazy, doesn't know her stuff properly, and even worse won't actually help you when needed. AND to add insult to injury, you have to do the work that doesn't help you conceptually to understand anyway.

Instance of bad teaching: I ask her to read my essay, she flips it over and over for 2 mins, reads "middle diction" and asks me to send her my techniques page. Then, when I actually ask about how my writing is, she cuts me off and doesn't answer the question, or give me feedback. wtf?!

HSC
Our education system is going downhill and I am glad to be out of it. I learnt the whole business and legal course last year by myself (not joking), so suck it up and deal with it. I did tell the head teacher, but he just went back to his old ways within 2 weeks. I did have the BEST english teacher however who basically spent her whole life marking essays and such... My history teacher was also excellent, until he up and left to go honeymooning the last 8 weeks before by HSC :evilfire:

MHSoR Student

HSC
N/A
In order to succeed in the Higher School Certificate, one must understand and be able to recall a lot of concepts contained within the subjects that he or she takes. In order to ensure that these concepts stay in a student's long-term memory, they must be taught in a very interesting, engaging and memorable way, and such level of teaching can only be achieved by a very good teacher. Therefore a good teacher is extremely important for a student's success in the HSC, in any subject.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Teachers do play an important. I know that if I don't get the initial concept explained properly in the sciences or math I pretty much won't understand anything related to it.

And with the histories and english, you could learn it yourself but it's so much easier with good teacher to point you in the right direction and to point out possible improvement etc.

Having good teachers certainly help, but it's not just the teacher. It's also the attitude of the students. I know from experience you could have the best teacher in the world but if the students don't want to learn, they'll just blame their bad grades on the teacher =="

MHSoR Student

HSC
N/A
However, the way in which a teacher teaches can also impact on the attitude of a student. For example, if a teacher is able to explain concepts in a very interesting and engaging way, or set work that is interesting, students in the class would be more likely to work harder and pay more attention. However, if a student is not taught effectively, he or she would be more likely to daydream and not care about the subject, as in the case of me during my Preliminary year for Physics and Biology, as my teachers for those two subjects taught in such a boring way that the thoughts in my mind during those classes were much more interesting than what my teacher was talking about, therefore it was extremely difficult for me to pay attention.

shaon0

HSC
the-derivative said:

yeah what if ur english teacher is crap?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)