Bad move to not at least do General maths for the HSC course? (1 Viewer)

OReilly

HSC
Hey guys,
So this year i picked to do Mathematics with the inclusion of a weekly lesson with a tutor. But my ever-growing laziness, mixed with sickness, lack of transport, his involvement with uni caused our lessons to become rather distant and i eventually lost all motivation to give a dam about Maths again, which is generally my outlook on maths the majority of the time.

I tend to excel much better in courses that allow me to be creative and write, along with computer subjects which are my forte generally. I was going to drop down to General Maths next year for year 12 just for the sake of doing maths, with much doubt the 2 units from it will even go towards my ATAR. I was talking to one of my teachers and she made the suggestion that if I hate maths then instead of dropping Ancient history, i keep it and drop maths instead.
For what I want to do (yes, yes i can't just decide what i'm going to do for my career here and now..) I generally won't require much maths and i doubt not doing General maths will have a large impact on whether i get into a course or a career. Could someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

For interest, these are my (current) subject choices for next year:
- English Advanced + Ext1 + Ext2
- Ancient History
- Software Design & Development
- IT- Multimedia
- Information Processes & Technology
Plus a TVET course in Music Industry

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
If you're interested in IT at all, it may be worth keeping at lease a basic level of Math. Otherwise, if your strength is in language then you may as well drop it.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
IT? What kind of IT? Like... computer programming? If so, you'll need maths for that - at least some maths.

OReilly

HSC
If you're interested in IT at all, it may be worth keeping at lease a basic level of Math. Otherwise, if your strength is in language then you may as well drop it.
My forte in computer subjects is not really in the programming and theory side of things, more so the multimedia and software design side of it. So i don't plan to do any very theory based or coding based computer courses at uni anyway.

OReilly

HSC
I've pretty much made my mind up. But I'm still after people's opinions on this. I'm fairly certain on what i'm planning to do at Uni, i don't see any sudden callings to be a programmer or an electrical engineer or a scientist coming anytime soon. I think focusing on further expanding my writing and computer skills is the best choice for me.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
My forte in computer subjects is not really in the programming and theory side of things, more so the multimedia and software design side of it. So i don't plan to do any very theory based or coding based computer courses at uni anyway.
EDIT: Didn't read it properly.

Multimedia is pretty non-maths based, but software design is apparently. For example, Discrete Mathematics is basically highly recommended for any computing/programming course.

Last edited:

OReilly

HSC
lol dude, Software design requires heaps of maths
Yes, Software would require maths if i wanted to do a programming course. But for High School level programming it really doesn't require much maths. Visual Basic, is quite basic. And the Maths problems are nothing unmanageable for me.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Yes, Software would require maths if i wanted to do a programming course. But for High School level programming it really doesn't require much maths. Visual Basic, is quite basic. And the Maths problems are nothing unmanageable for me.
Yes, but are you sure that university level programming doesn't have more difficult maths?

If you took your view of real world Physics from HSC Physics, I would laugh at you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)