bad handwriting (1 Viewer)

Isolated

HSC
its gone to a point where no one can read it but me. I often lose marks for messy writing, and i always try to improve it but i does not want to. Writing slow does not really help, and certain pens can help- but barely enough for it to be noticable.

Any suggestions?

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
'but I does not want to" - if you don't want to why did you bother asking here?

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
Isolated said:
not literally
Wha? :confused:

That don't b making sense.

On topic: I suggest you use the Pilot BPS-GP (medium point) to write with. A good pen always helps. :)

williamc

HSC
Just pound it down who cares what it looks like:

cem said:
As an HSC marker I haven't seen any writing on here that is really hard to read allowing for the fact that scanning a full page onto a smaller screen.

Sure neat writing is lovely to read but we do get some really awful stuff.

In my 15 years as a marker I can honestly say that I have only ever come across two scripts that I couldn't read. In both cases I simply sat down with the Senior Marker of my group and we read as much as we could together and then I put on a mark. Later the SM had to repeat the exercise with the second marker. The reason for the SM doing that was if the two marks were then discrepant the SM would already have read the script twice and thus it should be easier for him/her to make a final determination.

Remember that the exam booklets have pages that are far more spread out so what seems really bad on a normal A4 page becomes easier to read on the exam booklet pages because it is more spaced.

Isolated

HSC
what i meant was that it was a figure of speech.

yeah i use pilots- fine 0.4 seems to be working fine, but keeps on smudging from the water based ink.

williamc said:
Just pound it down who cares what it looks like:
why the fuck do teachers keep nagging me about my writing and saying shit like "HSC markers would not look through it like i did" etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

williamc

HSC
Isolated said:
why the fuck do teachers keep nagging me about my writing and saying shit like "HSC markers would not look through it like i did" etc.
they are fucked in the head.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Isolated said:

Because markers are supposed to mark at a set rate and if all the students write really badly and we have to take too much time then we will be told to mark what we can read and that is all.

The BOS have a budget for the marking process based on number of markers and number of scripts to be marked per marker per marking session. If we vary too much from that then the poorer writing scripts will not get the same consideration as in the past.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
didnt we have, a thread really similier( almost exact) in the prelim forum?

cccclaire

HSC
our english teacher says that if a marker can't read words it destroys the flow of your essay.

Just practise writing neatly or apply for special provisions.

~untitled~

HSC
tanjin said:
Wha? :confused:

That don't b making sense.

On topic: I suggest you use the Pilot BPS-GP (medium point) to write with. A good pen always helps. :)
Pilot BPS-GP! The only pen worth writing with!

hunni.xx

HSC
i had da same prob lol took lyk 20 mins for teachers to read mi essays ! jst practise practise practise!! even if its onli a little neater it will make da biggest difference... i loved those blue bic islander pens........... i rli cnt remember da proper name bt deyr in woolies ! lol :D

partelephant

Monkey on a Rock
HSC
Wow...this thread really strikes a chord with me. I had a similar problem with teachers refusing to read my horrific handwriting last year. I guess that I was a bit slow to react to it in that I didn't really do anything serious about it until I got slaughtered in my trials. (Although before I'd started experimenting with new things like changing the way I hold my pen, changing pens, etc)

You should really think about applying for special exam provisions (such as a computer to type with instead of writing). Go and see your principal or Board of Studies liaison for the form/what to do. Also go and see an Occupational Therapist or some kind of qualified professional to see if they can help you. I went through the whole process but got knocked back for some pissy reason (i.e. I handwrote in all of my HSC exams)

As for the HSC markers refusing to read your writing - wrong. I was told that they would make every effort to decipher every single word of your writing. First they'll enlarge it to A3 or A2 in an effort to read it. If that fails then they'll ask a teacher from your school (not from the same subject as that exam) to come in and help translate it for them - so they really DO try.

Evidence of that is that in English (Advanced). I had been getting slightly below average marks throughout the year. However, I thought it possibly to be because I just wasn't very good at English. Then, I got absolutely killed in my trials and subsequently came 5th last in my grade (based on the trials alone). However, in my HSC exam, I received an exam mark of 95. This was brought down by my school mark of 87 to an HSC mark of 91.

I hadn't actually done THAT much more work on English post-trials to suggest that kind of improvement (and with such large jumps they actually re-mark your HSC paper to see if someone stuffed up the marking the first time). I figure that my teachers at school had just been super lazy and fucked me over.

Therefore in conclusion; do something about it. NOW. It won't screw you in the HSC exam but it will kill your school ranks.

Last edited:

Paj20

HSC
Some teachers obviously take more care and time to read the writing. Some lazy ones i guess just have a whinge because they cant be bothered to actually have a good look. So what if some people cant right as neat, it dosent mean there work isnt as good. I guess thats why the HSC BOS exams are there, to make sure your getting the mark your knowledge deserves, they all would take care at reading the handwriting.

Do you believe it is true black pens set a more professional impression to the markers?

partelephant said:
Wow...this thread really strikes a chord with me. I had a similar problem with teachers refusing to read my horrific handwriting last year. I guess that I was a bit slow to react to it in that I didn't really do anything serious about it until I got slaughtered in my trials. (Although before I'd started experimenting with new things like changing the way I hold my pen, changing pens, etc)

You should really think about applying for special exam provisions (such as a computer to type with instead of writing). Go and see your principal or Board of Studies liaison for the form/what to do. Also go and see an Occupational Therapist or some kind of qualified professional to see if they can help you. I went through the whole process but got knocked back for some pissy reason (i.e. I handwrote in all of my HSC exams)

As for the HSC markers refusing to read your writing - wrong. I was told that they would make every effort to decipher every single word of your writing. First they'll enlarge it to A3 or A2 in an effort to read it. If that fails then they'll ask a teacher from your school (not from the same subject as that exam) to come in and help translate it for them - so they really DO try.

Evidence of that is that in English (Advanced). I had been getting slightly below average marks throughout the year. However, I thought it possibly to be because I just wasn't very good at English. Then, I got absolutely killed in my trials and subsequently came 5th last in my grade (based on the trials alone). However, in my HSC exam, I received an exam mark of 95. This was brought down by my school mark of 87 to an HSC mark of 91.

I hadn't actually done THAT much more work on English post-trials to suggest that kind of improvement (and with such large jumps they actually re-mark your HSC paper to see if someone stuffed up the marking the first time). I figure that my teachers at school had just been super lazy and fucked me over.

Therefore in conclusion; do something about it. NOW. It won't screw you in the HSC exam but it will kill your school ranks.
Its only the biggest problem in english really tho, having to right all those essays in the short time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Helenoftroy

HSC
I have anal writing, but I write far too small,( caused by my school refusing to give me extra paper in the SC). I'm spending these holidays trying to fix it up a bit.
it really does matter in the HSC, so don't just 'pound it down'. My english teachers favorite HSC horror story is of someone whos writing was so bad in the creative writing section that no-one in the marking could read it, so they gave the person 3/14. Ouch
Also, I'm left handed, so I smudge ink very easily if Im not careful. I don't know what pens I use, but I always use the very fine ones, that tends to make writing easier to read.

partelephant

Monkey on a Rock
HSC
Paj20 said:
Do you believe it is true black pens set a more professional impression to the markers?
I don't necessarily think its more "professional" to write with black pen but I think it's much easier for them to read in bad lighting. A teacher in Year 10 was telling us that the marking centre at 10pm has horrible lighting and blue pens don't stand out as much as black ones do and so its harder to read/gives them a headache (hence putting them into a bad mood whilst marking your essay - this is obviously compounded by bad handwriting).

Paj20 said:
Its only the biggest problem in english really tho, having to right all those essays in the short time.
Yeah you're right, it's only a major problem in subjects which require writing of multiple essays/extended responses where your hand cramps/becomes tired. These include English, Mod/Ancient History and Geography amongst others. My handwriting didn't seem to be affecting my marks in other subjects such as Phys/Chem which are predominantly short answer with a couple of extended responses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)