Bad first year, can I transfer? (1 Viewer)

PJS

HSC
Ok, so this is my current situation. I am currently in my first year of uni, doing the Bachelor of Health Science at USYD, and to put it bluntly, I hate it, and I'm not doing well at it (connected?). Now, I don't know anything about GPA's or NRSL's but I can say this, my results in my first year are not something to be proud of...

Anyways, I'm not completely sure on the course, but let's just say I want to transfer over to Engineering (Civil) over at UNSW. The cut-off for 2008 was 88.00, so I'm guessing the cut-off this year will range from about 85 - 90.

So, I'm just wondering, if I do apply for a transfer through UAC, do they have to factor in both my UAI and my tertiary results, or can they just factor in my UAI if my marks are so bad...

Also, I failed one subject in my first semester, and I wouldn't be surprised if I failed stuff this semester. If this is the case, what happens, do I have to like pass them to transfer or something?

Thanks in advanced

P.S. Does anyone know also if the HSC Plus Bonus Points scheme applies to someone that did their HSC in 2007?

tehsky

so lyk yeh.
HSC
Hey, if you do one year full time (ie. 8 subjects) they will usually look soley at tertiary results or a combination of uai/ tertiary results to give a nrsl rank. Alternatively, if you have a decent uai that is above the cutoff for the course you are planning to transfer to that will be used if you do less than one year full time and uni grades won't be examined. So ultimately it is your decision... if you can get good grades this semester and boost your gpa you have a chance that way... but if you really aren't happy and had a good uai that would have got you in maybe it would be easier that way? It may be best to phone admissions at the uni and contact the faculty aswell. Also bonus points don't apply to nrsl's.

doink

Clone
HSC
You unfortunately posted this topic 3 days too late.

IF it was before the census date of 31 August you could of dropped your degree and with less than 1 year FTE of tertiary study only your UAI would of been considered for the transfer. Now unfortunately dropping your subjects would destroy your GPA even more. Your transfer will be external and hence done by UAC by combining your UAI and GPA.

Best bet is to try very hard and try to redeem your marks in order to get into engineering. Also apply to UTS and other universities since engineering is a degree which is very similar across all universities.

Your fail will be accounted in your GPA.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
doink said:
You unfortunately posted this topic 3 days too late.

IF it was before the census date of 31 August you could of dropped your degree and with less than 1 year FTE of tertiary study only your UAI would of been considered for the transfer. Now unfortunately dropping your subjects would destroy your GPA even more. Your transfer will be external and hence done by UAC by combining your UAI and GPA.

Best bet is to try very hard and try to redeem your marks in order to get into engineering. Also apply to UTS and other universities since engineering is a degree which is very similar across all universities.

Your fail will be accounted in your GPA.
The census date is only for financial purposes. If he drops subjects now, they will be recorded as a WD- Withdraw. Not an Withdraw- Fail which would give you 0 GPA.

PJS

HSC
velox said:
The census date is only for financial purposes. If he drops subjects now, they will be recorded as a WD- Withdraw. Not an Withdraw- Fail which would give you 0 GPA.
Wow, this is intriguing. Ok, so according to you, if I understand you correctly, I can still drop all my subjects now, effectively dropping my course, and I will still be awarded a Withdrawal with out failure, or a DNF i think.

Ok, that being said, I also heard somewhere that they only award these withdrawals without failure or DNFs to students in difficult circumstances, like they might have an illness, or some family situation which is affecting their studies.

tehsky

so lyk yeh.
HSC
After the final date for withdrawals without academic penalty a fail is given and the only way to get this removed is if you have a very strong personal case to put forward. However, now you should be able to withdraw without academic penalty, you will just have to pay though. What was your uai and current gpa?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
PJS said:
Wow, this is intriguing. Ok, so according to you, if I understand you correctly, I can still drop all my subjects now, effectively dropping my course, and I will still be awarded a Withdrawal with out failure, or a DNF i think.

Ok, that being said, I also heard somewhere that they only award these withdrawals without failure or DNFs to students in difficult circumstances, like they might have an illness, or some family situation which is affecting their studies.
There's a date that you can withdraw before and it counts as a DNF, it's after the HECS census date. It is recorded on your transcript. After that date is where they award DNF if you have medical reasons, etc.

Look it up in your faculty's handbook/University policy.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)