• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Back to the 70's for good rock? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiny norman

HSC
Gangels said:
Almost everystyle relates to jazz cause everything is based on it.
Yes, baroque composers borrowed heavily from jazz.

Gangels said:
My logic is that you are bagging him out for his music taste when you have a picture of a guy in his underwear who really needs to stop his music career while he's ahead. Musicology was great but this new album was pretty ordinary. Plus the fact that your a guy with this picture maybe a bit sus. Unless you swing that way, then ignore everything i just said.
Given this picture was the cover for Dirty Mind, in 1980, I'd say it represents him near the top of his game.

And I'm heterosexual, though I must concede I do swing Prince's way.

Gangels

HSC
spiny norman said:
Yes, baroque composers borrowed heavily from jazz.

Given this picture was the cover for Dirty Mind, in 1980, I'd say it represents him near the top of his game.

And I'm heterosexual, though I must concede I do swing Prince's way.
I did not say they borrowed from it did i. I said that every music style is based on jazz or can relate to it.

Yes it does represent him at the top of his game, but that wasnt my point. the fact is that your bagging him out for liking 70's music when you have this picture. Specially seeming as it was released the year after the 70's. Does that not seem stupid?

Some_Guy

HSC
Gangels said:
By the way captain gh3y, how many accounts have you read? Have you ever spoken to anyone who has seen either bands live or seen a recording if them live? If you have then you would know that bands like Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Floyd and The who were some of the best acts in the whole of the 1970's, two of which were the loudest bands in the world and were rated in the top 4 live acts, according to Rolling Stone Mags from the time
Judging by the live albums ive heard. Led Zeppelin arnt that great live.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Gangels said:
I did not say they borrowed from it did i. I said that every music style is based on jazz or can relate to it.
You are a bloody tool.

Just stop now. Please. Based on jazz? It fucking preceded it by a few hundred or so years.

iwannarock

HSC
also you can't trace everything back to jazz, simply because jazz can be traced back to earlier african music.

i just read about pygmy music for this world music course i'm doing at uni. in the 60's and 70's many artists in jazz owe hommage to the style of music that is the pygmies.

the article i read basically had a tonne of jazz artists that were influenced by pygmy music. pygmy music also has a strong sense of improvisation, its completely vocal and they never sing in unison but rather just polyphony. this idea was brought to jazz.

its stupid to put jazz on a great big pedistal and say that all other music genres stem from it. jazz was preceded by a tonne of different styles of music that it borrowed from.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Using that logic, lets all pay homage to tribal music, because it basically was the first genre ever, therefore everything stemmed from that! :rolleyes:

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
robbie1 said:
well, 50 Cent cant control wat kids do

the subject matter in his music is about 'grown up' things so kids shouldnt even be listening to it

there are warnings on all his CDs about the language and themes and its up to the parents to be aware of this

however, kids these days want to rebel against their parents and unfortunately many use 50 Cent as their 'tool' to do this, giving him a bad name even though he hasnt done anything

also, what pisses me off is that in my experience, 50 Cent haters hate him because of candy shop and P.I.M.P which leads me to believe that people who hate him only hear his radio singles and judge him based on that handful of songs

what i say to you is that with the exeption of In Da Club (great song), his radio singles r at best average and the best stuff is definately not played on the radio

for example, listen to Patiently Waiting from GRODT or Dont Push Me from the same album....or Im Supposed To Die Tonight on The Massacre

great songs but not played on the radio

G G G G G G Unit!!!!! (lol just fucking with you)
what pisses me off is that dropkicks like you, and 50 cent exist

the.quixotic

HSC
Who here from Sydney listens to FBI (94.5)? There you will probably find that elusive good, creative, complicated etc etc music that shimmerz is looking for. It is often the case that mainstream artists place too high priority (not ncessarily top priority) on what they know will be popular / well receieved rather than trying something different. Most select singles from albums are the boring mainstream ones whereas the real gems are hidden in the albums. Therefore, what you hear on the radio from any artist are probably not their best ones.

Gangels

HSC
iwannarock said:
also you can't trace everything back to jazz, simply because jazz can be traced back to earlier african music.

i just read about pygmy music for this world music course i'm doing at uni. in the 60's and 70's many artists in jazz owe hommage to the style of music that is the pygmies.

the article i read basically had a tonne of jazz artists that were influenced by pygmy music. pygmy music also has a strong sense of improvisation, its completely vocal and they never sing in unison but rather just polyphony. this idea was brought to jazz.

its stupid to put jazz on a great big pedistal and say that all other music genres stem from it. jazz was preceded by a tonne of different styles of music that it borrowed from.
Once again, people have missed the point. Jazz has been influenced by many great composers from classical music to yes, tribal music. Therefore it can relate to everything! Jazz is a mixture of all kinds of music, for example, acid jazz. It is a mix of swing, rock and funk. Because jazz is such a mix it relates to almost every genre.

And if you wanna say that tribal was the first genre then define music. There are two. An arrangement of sounds and noise altogether. If the first one you think, then you are right in a way, tribal was the first, probably have to look into that, but if you beleive the second, which i do, then music has been around much longer than any tribe.

spiny norman

HSC
Gangels said:
Yes it does represent him at the top of his game, but that wasnt my point. the fact is that your bagging him out for liking 70's music when you have this picture. Specially seeming as it was released the year after the 70's. Does that not seem stupid?
Your argument seems stupid.

I am "bagging him out" not for liking 70s music (which brought forth some fantastic music) but for liking it at the expense of all things since.

gracie007

HSC
shimmerz_777: hmm, i dont think simple plan and gc would even b classified as rock anyway, how do they come into it?
also, im disturbed by the fact that u say "but not particularly the beetles."
not only did u spell it wrong, but shit, NOT particularly the beatles? sorry to say but most 70s rock that u claim to enjoy was all influenced by the beatles. maybe u should look into them more.

ellie belly: "Unless you listen to 101.7 or 104.9" serious? listen to 104.9 for all of next week and u wont be saying that anymore.

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
I agree with Shimmerz, 70s music > contemporary

But I used to completely hate rap too.. then I listen to some 2pac and began to think it was okay.. Now i like nas, some kanye west music ect. but contemporary rap is really bad, especially 50 cent.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Gangels said:
Once again, people have missed the point. Jazz has been influenced by many great composers from classical music to yes, tribal music. Therefore it can relate to everything! Jazz is a mixture of all kinds of music, for example, acid jazz. It is a mix of swing, rock and funk. Because jazz is such a mix it relates to almost every genre.

And if you wanna say that tribal was the first genre then define music. There are two. An arrangement of sounds and noise altogether. If the first one you think, then you are right in a way, tribal was the first, probably have to look into that, but if you beleive the second, which i do, then music has been around much longer than any tribe.
What the fuck....

Originally Posted by Gangels
There is a distinct difference between: jazz being able to relate to classical/baroque, and baroque/classical being able to relate to jazz.

Why the hell would a style preceding jazz be able to relate to it? That's the logic you fail to express in your original post. And even then, just because jazz 'took' aspects of classical/baroque or other styles does not mean that it's automatically the love child or the perfect incarnation.

Onto your second point: music has been around prior to tribes.

Ok, as a purely sociological/cultural aspect:

- music can only be interpreted as such when it is given some sort of meaning or ritualistic underlying, as is common with various things in our society.

Now as a musician/historian:

- please, enlighten me as to what precedes the culmination of sounds used for a social mean?
- the most basic instruments are that of the voice and the drums, so i'm VERY interested to hear your opinion on a precedent to this.

YBK

HSC
robbie1 said:
i cant understand why you people are so anti-50 Cent

if you dont like his music then ok dont listen to it but why do you hate HIM so much?

Curtis James Jackson III grew up in the South Side of Jamaica, Queens, New York in poverty-stricken circumstances. When he was eight years old, his mother was murdered in her home in a drug deal, and 50 Cent moved in with his grandparents. He soon became immersed in the drug trade, hustling around his native neighborhood by the name of "Boo Boo." Later he was consequently shot 9 times and stabbed

coming from that to where he is today is an amazing achievement and the man deserves respect for it.

well, just to make you burn even more....listen to this

Having achieved multi-platinum success with both albums, he has become one of the most successful rappers of all time, selling around 22 million albums worldwide....add to that his movie, his book, his clothing line, his shoes, his watch company, his water drink (formula 50), his sex toy line, his video game, his future movies with samuel L jackson and nicholas cage and of course his record label G Unit Records

oh and you probably didnt know that he runs a nonprofit organisation called the G-Unity Foundation, which aims to better the life of urban youth.

get used to him cause he aint goin nowhere

oh yeah, he's great 'cause he made money...
what does he bring to music other than hate?

YBK

HSC
Asylum, what kind of music do you listen to? You seem too keen on dissing shimmer's taste in music. It's his opinion, plain and clear.

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
YBK said:
Asylum, what kind of music do you listen to? You seem too keen on dissing shimmer's taste in music. It's his opinion, plain and clear.
There's nothing wrong with having an opinion, but there is something wrong with being stupid.

Gangels

HSC
AsyLum said:
What the fuck....

There is a distinct difference between: jazz being able to relate to classical/baroque, and baroque/classical being able to relate to jazz.

Why the hell would a style preceding jazz be able to relate to it? That's the logic you fail to express in your original post. And even then, just because jazz 'took' aspects of classical/baroque or other styles does not mean that it's automatically the love child or the perfect incarnation.

Onto your second point: music has been around prior to tribes.

Ok, as a purely sociological/cultural aspect:

- music can only be interpreted as such when it is given some sort of meaning or ritualistic underlying, as is common with various things in our society.

Now as a musician/historian:

- please, enlighten me as to what precedes the culmination of sounds used for a social mean?
- the most basic instruments are that of the voice and the drums, so i'm VERY interested to hear your opinion on a precedent to this.
Almost everything. This is just my opinion but ii beleive that everything is an instrument. A rock falling would be music, the air would be music, the sound of two animals fighting would be music.

A famous composer is the 1950..........i cant remember his name, he went out and sat at a piano for 5 minutes and then left without playing a thing. His arguement was that the noise of the crowd was musical and i fully agree with him.

YBK

HSC
Li0n said:
There's nothing wrong with having an opinion, but there is something wrong with being stupid.
I guess so, but where was he stupid. I didn't read all the posts here :S

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Gangels said:
Almost everything. This is just my opinion but ii beleive that everything is an instrument. A rock falling would be music, the air would be music, the sound of two animals fighting would be music.

A famous composer is the 1950..........i cant remember his name, he went out and sat at a piano for 5 minutes and then left without playing a thing. His arguement was that the noise of the crowd was musical and i fully agree with him.
John Cage.

Yeah, its great "i think everything is music" but having said this, you can't even identify the guy who composed the 4 minutes 33.

Lets all get metaphysical, lets call music the very concept of the electro-magnetic signals which are emitted from the very first life form, heck no, what is music if no one is around to hear it, no even further, music is the sounds of space, you know through a vacuum :rolleyes:

YBK: I'm not dissing other people's genres, I'm dissing the fact that these people wish to claim moral superiority over other genres and styles based solely on the fact "music is subjective" and then proclaiming how shit was better in the old days. I've questioned shimmer on his views that there isnt any decent music nowdays, and he's backtracked, used the 'music is perspective man' (all good but doesn't fucking mean its a justified position, if it were, then Hitler shouldn't be judged as a tyrant) and ultimately we've got that his conception of 'music' seems to be relegated to a piss-poor effort of commercial radio and stereotypes.

As for what I listen to, anything, tribal neo-classicist trance, to multilingual pop, to mainstream rock and whatnot. Furthermore, I dont think anyone has the right to tell people what to listen to, and that hasnt been what I've been talking about if you look through my posts, its about making decisions based on a limited scope of what 'music' is. Saying rock is dead, and then quoting that Good Charlotte, Simple Plan is the embodiement of this is just fucking stupid don't you think ?

YBK said:
I guess so, but where was he stupid. I didn't read all the posts here :S
Yeah, not many people have, and thus through the whining and kicking and screaming and cries of "oh noes, stop psychoanalysing my opinion, because I POSTED IT ON A PUBLIC FORUM, and I don't understand what you're talking about so please stop :(" I've been made into this "music nazi" FFS. Go read what I wrote and then come back and dispute.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)