Bachelor of Justice Studies(Policing) (1 Viewer)

Hermes3

HSC
Hi guys! I have been offered a place at CSU Bachelor of Justice Studies, and as it was my first preference, I am pretty happy, but.!

I have an issue. I have read lots about proffesional suitability and even recieved the booklet last year, read it through. I dont have my green Ps yet, dont ever have my red Ps yet - my test is booked in yearly February.. Because of this I gave up on going straight to Goulbourn to do Associate Degree of Policing Practise and decided to do a longer course..

By what date do I have to submit proffesional suitability application in Bachelor of Justice Studies?... Just wondering whether I will get my green Ps in time or not... All other requirments are fine, but that one...

I would be really grateful if someone mught advise me with this matter... I dont wanna waste a year - I wanna go study right now! .. What is the gbest decision to make??

Thank you!!

Thunderbolt

HSC
Hey mate!

That's one person from BoS that's going into the same course I am. :D

As for the licencing thing: as far as I know, you will need at least your P2 licence before you can pass Professional Suitability; but I am unsure to when you actually have to do Professional/Medical Suitability. I think it's done towards the end of the two years at Bathurst but I could be wrong on this.

There is a Police Careers Day at the Police College in Goulburn being held on the 10th of Feburary 2008 which I will most likely attend, but you should go and have a look and ask whether your situation will affect your advancement into the degree.

As far as I know (I could be highly wrong on this), because it's the 'longer way in' and not directly handled by the Police College in Goulburn, we might just be avoiding Professional Suitability until we have to move into the College. So if that's true, you've got two years to finish up your P1 licence (which you must hold for a minimum of 12 months) and then move up to your P2 licence; which this course does provide a buffer for; but again, depends on when the NSW Police want to do Professional Suitability.

If your still unsure, phone up the Police Recruitment Line and ask them. I'm sort of in the same boat, but only with fitness. I'm only eligible for my P2 licence on the last day of orientation at CSU Bathurst. :(

What a bloody hectic year this has turned out to be already...

Last edited:

Thunderbolt

HSC
I just phoned the Police Recruitment Branch and they said that Professional Suitability for Bachelor of Justice Studies (Policing) students (i.e. us) isn't conducted until "the last stages of the whole thing". That from a person who sounded like he had answered fifty-thousand calls before mine. So yeah.

He did say that the Recruitment Branch will send someone out to have a chat to us before we go into the Police College, so I think that's when Professional Suitability will be then talked about seriously.

You've got plenty of time to get your P2 licence. :)

Hope that helps, see you at Orientation. :D

Last edited:

Hermes3

HSC
Thunderbolt said:
I just phoned the Police Recruitment Branch and they said that Professional Suitability for Bachelor of Justice Studies (Policing) students (i.e. us) isn't conducted until "the last stages of the whole thing". That from a person who sounded like he had answered fifty-thousand calls before mine. So yeah.

He did say that the Recruitment Branch will send someone out to have a chat to us before we go into the Police College, so I think that's when Professional Suitability will be then talked about seriously.

You've got plenty of time to get your P2 licence. :)

Hope that helps, see you at Orientation. :D
ohh thank you so much matee for the detailed reply;))... you really lifted my mood up;).. coz I just failed my second driving test this mornng'_:bomb:

qnyways, see you at he Orientation!:) have fun, and great Australian day;))

tamimyaftali1

Tamim aka Timtam
HSC
best course ever iam in my 3rd year cause i transfered to criminal justice same course but 1 extra year casue iam going into feds but every year ever1 is heaps close in policing u guys will love it

portiaskye

HSC
hey guys.
i am wanting to do this course next year as i am in year 12 this year.
and i was wondering a few things.
where can i read about what the requirements are, i just wanted to check them out before i get set on this career.
and also, what kind of additional selection processes are involved?
thanks

Thunderbolt

HSC
portiaskye said:
hey guys.
i am wanting to do this course next year as i am in year 12 this year.
and i was wondering a few things.
where can i read about what the requirements are, i just wanted to check them out before i get set on this career.
and also, what kind of additional selection processes are involved?
thanks
Good on ya mate!
All the 'requirements' for the Associate Degree in Policing Practice (the direct way in) are available in an information kit that you can have sent out to you, by calling up the Police Recruiting Branch and leaving your details with them. It's fairly thorough, but it does need clarification on a few areas.

Additional selection processes? I'm not sure what you mean there. Do you mean if there is any additional criteria to get into the Bachelor of Justice Studies (Policing)?
As far as I know (and hope), the only real requirement to be accepted, is that you meet the UAI requirement for the course (as of 2008, it is still 70). Just on a side note: Do Legal Studies. It'll make you look good if you decide to do PREP for BJusticeStud.

It's interesting to note that this course may not be as popular (at least this year) as many have touted it to be. I come from a regional school, and I am eligible for the for the "five point bonus". My UAI was 60.25 (.75 off the 61 + 5 point bonus I was aiming for, for the ADPP).
I only applied for BJusticeStud through PREP, which at first; I didn't get. It was with great surprise that I was given a main round offer into the course; despite my not applying for the main round or my UAI being high enough.

So that's telling to say the least. It won't be indicative of 2009 though.
Best of luck.

Justin aka Thunderbolt

Matt Samson

HSC
Thunderbolt said:
Good on ya mate!
All the 'requirements' for the Associate Degree in Policing Practice (the direct way in) are available in an information kit that you can have sent out to you, by calling up the Police Recruiting Branch and leaving your details with them. It's fairly thorough, but it does need clarification on a few areas.

Additional selection processes? I'm not sure what you mean there. Do you mean if there is any additional criteria to get into the Bachelor of Justice Studies (Policing)?
As far as I know (and hope), the only real requirement to be accepted, is that you meet the UAI requirement for the course (as of 2008, it is still 70). Just on a side note: Do Legal Studies. It'll make you look good if you decide to do PREP for BJusticeStud.

It's interesting to note that this course may not be as popular (at least this year) as many have touted it to be. I come from a regional school, and I am eligible for the for the "five point bonus". My UAI was 60.25 (.75 off the 61 + 5 point bonus I was aiming for, for the ADPP).
I only applied for BJusticeStud through PREP, which at first; I didn't get. It was with great surprise that I was given a main round offer into the course; despite my not applying for the main round or my UAI being high enough.

So that's telling to say the least. It won't be indicative of 2009 though.
Best of luck.

Justin aka Thunderbolt
Its not popular because not many people want to become a cop.

Crap pay, crap conditions, you get treated like crap by a certain section of the community. Also you have long hours, and all that paper work :eek:

Thunderbolt

HSC
Matt Samson said:
Its not popular because not many people want to become a cop.

Crap pay, crap conditions, you get treated like crap by a certain section of the community. Also you have long hours, and all that paper work :eek:
Compared to most civilian jobs? Yeah. NSW Police are the highest paid in the country and Mum said (an enrolled nurse) that I'd be earning more than her right out of the College.

Go figure. :D

Matt Samson

HSC
Thunderbolt said:
Compared to most civilian jobs? Yeah. NSW Police are the highest paid in the country and Mum said (an enrolled nurse) that I'd be earning more than her right out of the College.

Go figure. :D
Last time I checked, the police are civilians, they're not soldiers.

Secondly, compared to most public service jobs, police are underpaid. My mother is a registered nurse.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)