• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

bachelor of ecos and commerce help (1 Viewer)

wyho

HSC
N/A
HI EVERYONE IM A NEW MEMBER SORRY IF I ASK A STUPID QUESTION BUT:

i juz haf some confusion abt some courses at UNI ... b/eco and b/comm

i wana ask what are the career opportunities for these 2 course?
do they both lead to accounting career?
if i wana become a financial advisor then which one shud i choose?

kaitoufion

HSC
Hi Hi~
Are you doing your HSC this year?? :) Good luck!
You will soon get your UAC book~ (usually at the beginning of July)
Inside this UAC book, it will clearly tell you the career opportunities for EACH course in each different Uni~
Or maybe you can have a look at last year's UAC book first if you are eager to know ^_^

I guess it's very hard to clearly define their career opportunities by ourselves as there are a lot of different courses in Eco or Comm, so the UAC book is an excellent guide :)

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
wyho said:
HI EVERYONE IM A NEW MEMBER SORRY IF I ASK A STUPID QUESTION BUT:

i juz haf some confusion abt some courses at UNI ... b/eco and b/comm

i wana ask what are the career opportunities for these 2 course?
do they both lead to accounting career?
if i wana become a financial advisor then which one shud i choose?
What do you mean by fiancial adviser? Do you mean financial analyst or financial planner?

is a roflcopter
HSC
you're probably better off doing a B.Comm which wont have the compulsory economic major tagged along with it

of course either course is fine since UNSW is the best :D

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
Yeah to be fair, I can't think of any uni that has accounting, finance or economics better than UNSW. In Eco, I think ANU is pretty good, but the uni is way ahead in accounting and finance.

NiKz*~

HSC
just out of curiosity, what criteria is used to determine how far ahead a uni is in a certain areas compared to other unis?

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
mr_shittles said:
Yeah to be fair, I can't think of any uni that has accounting, finance or economics better than UNSW. In Eco, I think ANU is pretty good, but the uni is way ahead in accounting and finance.
100% with you on that one...

but we're biased ;D

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
NiKz*~ said:
just out of curiosity, what criteria is used to determine how far ahead a uni is in a certain areas compared to other unis?
Well, usually its biased people trying to promote the university by just making up stuff to get their uni to sound good. Like all those Macq and UTS people who pretend they've got the best Commerce degree.

The most unbiased estimator (though not necessarily a perfect measure) is the entry marks required for a particular degree. The higher the cut-off, the higher the academic standard required to compete against. The reason this is the most unbiased estimator of standards is because it is not subjective, nor easily subjected to manipulation.

The most accurate measure (though this could sometimes be objective) is from surveys carried out by global researchers. Here is an example of an excerpt from one of those studies carried out (that ranked UNSW Accounting #1):

http://www2.accounting.unsw.edu.au/...eArea&maxWnd=_News_LatestNews_UNSWRankedFirst

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
How does UNSW rank for Finance? I reckon the ranking system used to demonstrate that UNSW ranks 1st in terms of research in finance is suspicious because UNSW helped fund and develop the ranking system in SIRCA.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
mr_shittles said:
Well, usually its biased people trying to promote the university by just making up stuff to get their uni to sound good. Like all those Macq and UTS people who pretend they've got the best Commerce degree.

The most unbiased estimator (though not necessarily a perfect measure) is the entry marks required for a particular degree. The higher the cut-off, the higher the academic standard required to compete against. The reason this is the most unbiased estimator of standards is because it is not subjective, nor easily subjected to manipulation.

The most accurate measure (though this could sometimes be objective) is from surveys carried out by global researchers. Here is an example of an excerpt from one of those studies carried out (that ranked UNSW Accounting #1):

http://www2.accounting.unsw.edu.au/...eArea&maxWnd=_News_LatestNews_UNSWRankedFirst
Nice explaination.
But the cut-offs dont purely reflect the academic standard - but the demand also ?

another q. u do acct2522 ?
how u goin for that ? ...i need tips :D

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
kind of left out this part

Applying the study's methodology, the University of New South Wales would have been ranked 12th in North America, comparable to Columbia University

is a roflcopter
HSC
so you're saying unsw is ivy league standard perhaps :)

wyho

HSC
N/A
overall, which uni is more popular worldwide? usyd or unsw ?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Grizzly said:
lol...wots ivy league ?
sounds like gridiron .....
Courtesy of Wikipedia: "The Ivy League is an association of eight American universities, named for the ivy plants traditionally covering their older buildings. The term "Ivy League" has connotations of academic excellence, as well as a certain amount of elitism."

Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Cornell, Dartmouth, Brown, Columbia and Penn

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
redslert said:
both are on par to the rest of the world
but to the educated, unsw
so if unsw is par to columbia ? ... ohh rite. i get it ...

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
Grizzly said:
Nice explaination.
But the cut-offs dont purely reflect the academic standard - but the demand also ?

another q. u do acct2522 ?
how u goin for that ? ...i need tips :D
i do acct2522, its an ok subject (not too bad). just do the past papers and the std. cost and variance analysis tute Qs. that should be fine. (i hope)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)