Bachelor of Design 2009 cut-offs discussion (1 Viewer)

msh

HSC
I know design degrees at UTS are the most competitive creative arts degrees in the state, but my god, this year the UAI cut-offs for B Design went through the roof :eek:

602040 B Design in Fashion & Textile 96.90
602050 B Design in Industrial Design 87.60
602060 B Design in Interior Design 91.45
602070 B Design in Visual Comm 95.05
609260 B Design-Fash&Tex BA Int Stds 98.75
609270 B Design Industrial BAInt Stds 91.20
609280 B Design Interior BA Int Stds 99.90
609290 B Design Vis Comm BA Int Stds 96.65

Pretty much everything went up, except for visual communication design which actually fell quiet a lot, (I believe 609290 B Design Vis Comm BA Int Stds was 99.9 last year)
But now INTERIOR DESIGN with Int Studies is 99.9. It jumped by 10 uai points :eek:

I'm just curious, so who got in this year? Did anybody at BOS receive an offer to these degrees?

Last edited:

.miko

HSC
I received an offer for Design visual comm/international studies. Quite shocked at how much it dropped, and how much interior increased this year. Crazy~

edmond1

HSC
Got an offer for design in visual communication,
only just made it by a bit.

Almost all the courses except one requires 90+ uai, so does that mean UTS is one of the best uni for design related courses?

Last edited:

RIPYSL

HSC
Got an offer for design in visual communication,
only just made it by a bit.

Almost all the courses except one requires 90+ uai, so does that mean UTS is one of the best uni for design related courses?
Hey all.

I got an offer to B Design Visual Comm/Int Studies too :music::music:
I put it in as first preference even though it was 99.9 last year, and luckily it fell this year.:haha:
To answer your question, it's one of the best for design. At least that's what I was told at the open day, though it was convincing. They did mention the graduates are highly respected in the industry.
Judging by popularity and demand, (the uai cut-offs) I guess most people believe that it is, considering B Design is the ONLY field of studies where the UTS equivalent's cut-offs are higher than USYD or UNSW.

Ester123

HSC
The fashion design international studies cut off actually went down. It was 99.9 last year. Not much of a drop. I'm so happy I got in.

pecky's lemon

HSC
I got offered Vis Comm as well. The cofa design course seemed a little unprofessional, and I checked out the UTS exhibition work. Good for me. I'm looking forward to it.

Why do you reckon the courses went up considering the economic-climate-crap that everyone keeps talking about?

Congrats to those ppl who got in.

U people into any design magazines e.g. Idn? Any that you guys know?

mattbannister

HSC
U people into any design magazines e.g. Idn? Any that you guys know?
At the moment I'm too poor for magazines, but I have a massive stack from when I had a job, things like Idn, Juxtapoz, Empty, Desktop until it got too ad-full, Computer Arts Projects, an occasional Monster Children, and all that.

Last edited:

syworld

HSC
Aiiya~ The cut-offs are so high this year!! There goes majority of my preferences haha!

Fruitsalad

HSC
Yeah interior design really did jump up didn't it?! I wonder if UTS offered too many places last year or something, or it just got more popular and therefore competitive? :confused:

alexmartinek

HSC
that is insane.....my god im so unhappy right now

its my life goal atm to do a degree consisting of a BA of design and BA of int studies

RIPYSL

HSC
that is insane.....my god im so unhappy right now

its my life goal atm to do a degree consisting of a BA of design and BA of int studies
It's ok you can add on the BA int studies after a year of single degree in B Design if you meet their criteria, so you should apply for the single degree as well if your uai falls short.
My friends sister did that.. Though her UAI was 97 point something when she added on int studies on top of her interior design degree (but..she was eligible anyway, the year she entered it was 95ish for the double degree in interior design/int studies, she just didn't really want to do it at the time of application)

RIPYSL

HSC
Yeah interior design really did jump up didn't it?! I wonder if UTS offered too many places last year or something, or it just got more popular and therefore competitive? :confused:
Could you tell us how many people there are in the B Design program? I'm just curious.
By the way, interior design looks cool too...Especially judging from the works on display on the design faculty's website.. I was contemplating between the two when I was filling out the 9 choices. :)

pecky's lemon

HSC
At the moment I'm too poor for magazines, but I have a massive stack from when I had a job, things like Idn, Juxtapoz, Empty, Desktop until it got too ad-full, Computer Arts Projects, an occasional Monster Children, and all that.
Yeah, I've got my hands on Idn, Juxtapoz and Empty. Wanna check out Wallpaper but I'm also too poor right now. I found this youth magazine called 'Voiceworks' as well where you can send in short stories and/or illustrations and they'll give you some money. The illustrations didn't look too good in there.

Is everyone enrolling? What lectures and stuff?

pecky's lemon

HSC
RIPYSL - the number 300 keeps rolling around my head but I'm not too sure. I used to know

Fruitsalad

HSC
Hey again

Yeah, hmm about numbers. I remember at the beginning one of our tutors mentioning there were 80 people last year (2008) for interior design..which would've gone down a little into second semester as some people decided it wasn't for them. I can't be sure though about the student numbers for each of the other design fields (vis com, industrial, fashion), but I think the total (from one of my uts emails) was 310.

geegables

HSC
viscoms number is about 100
i know industrial is like 50 and not too sure with the other two

RIPYSL

HSC
wow.. over 300 people sounds a lot. It will be a big change from the art class of 20...Thanks :music:

w_design

HSC

msh

HSC
Hi I don't normally post here, (I'm a bit of a silent observer) but I wanted to ask about the cut-offs.

How come on the UTS design website, the cut offs are listed even higher than this?

UTS: DAB - Bachelor of Design in Interior Design - Faculty of Design, Architecture & Building It lists B Interior Design as 91.45

and

UTS: DAB - Bachelor of Design in Visual Communication - Faculty of Design, Architecture & Building B Design Visual Communication as 95.05
They are ATAR equivalents.

Dlee

HSC
could anyone plz explain me the difference between
Design in Interior Design & Design Industrial BAInt Stds? :)
here is an investment process

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)