Bachelor of Creative Arts (1 Viewer)

beezjaxx

HSC
I'm currently doing my HSC in NSW and want to apply for the Bachelor of Creative Arts at Melbourne Uni. What do i need to do/know?

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
SWEET! Hi Beezjaxx. I'm excited to reply to your post, see Bach of Creative Arts is the course I'm actually deferred from - i'll be commencing in the 2006 academic year. I'm going to assume that you haven't gotten any info from the university itself yet, so some of the stuff I'll be writing down is actually straight from the Creative Arts course guide.

Anywho, to start off here are some fast facts. Bachelor of Creative Arts (BCA) enrols around 90-110 students each year. It is unique for the fact that it is one of the only degrees in Australia that offers the study of three 'creative' mediums, Creative Writing, Theatre Studies and Visual Media (Photography, Arts, Ceramics...you name it). The BCA consists of 300 points (100 points a year). You must major in at least one study (of the 3 above). In the first year however, you must study subjects from at least 3 study areas. In 2nd year, no more than 50% of your studies may be in one area. Subjects offered can be found here: http://www.unimelb.edu.au/HB/areas/ACREATA.html#S14701
That also has general information on the course.

Now it depends what kind of major you are looking at doing, but you have to remember that it is a rather academic degree...by that I mean sure you have your prac...but there is quite a bit of theory involved. Look at the PHD and MCA students summaries (you'll find this in the staff section of the School of Creative Arts page http://www.sca.unimelb.edu.au ) and this will give you an idea of the kind of avenues of investigation that students take on their thesis.

Now I only know one person who is doing this course at the moment...and last time I heard he had just completed BCA (Hons) and was ready to take on his MCA. He enjoys it immensely, but he also says this is because he involved himself in activities outside his course...like student theatre, college theatre etc. The course can become a bit stale if you don't take opportunity of these extra-curricular activities.

The BCA can be combined with Law, Teaching, Social Work or Music. Combined law is something ridiculous like 99.6 to get in. For music, you have to attend an audition in Melbourne. If I end up doing my BCA (I'm auditioning for VCA and if i get in there the BCA gets the flick) I'm going to aim to maintain at least a distinction average so I could 'pick up' Law in 1st or 2nd year.

Another aspect of this course which is unusual is the lack of audition/interview for entry. It is UAI/ENTER based (the clearly in for 2005 was 90.15. If you enter under 'Access Melbourne' [Special Circumstances] I think the minimum standard is 83), so you could just get some dodgy students that aren't good at any of the three disciplines and are just smart.

Its good to read everything you can get your hands on about the course, the website is particularly helpful and you can write to the SCA to request print information. Coming from Dapto, you might also want to look into college accommodation at Melb. It has one of the best college systems around http://www.colleges.unimelb.edu.au
That will give you links to all of the colleges/residential halls.

To actually apply for the course you need to fill out a VTAC application (victorian equal of UAC). This can be done online: www.vtac.edu.au
Other Vic courses that are a little bit similar are the Bach Performing Arts or the Bach Creative Arts (they focus on graphic design/visual media with theirs) @ Monash University. Bach Arts @ LaTrobe University (theatre studies is offered as a subject only). I think Deakin have a Dance and Drama teaching course too. If you are a hard-core arty-farty check out the Victorian College of the Arts. Very competitive for entry into VCA School of Art, Drama, Music, Production, Film&TV or Dance. It's audition based.

Hope this has helped a little bit.

gorgo31

HSC
I'm looking at doing this degree too, but hopefully combining it with Law.

99.40 last year, I hope to God it falls a little... or a lot :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)