Bachelor of Computer Science and/or Bachelor of Information Technology Prerequisites (1 Viewer)

SASH_06_X

HSC
Just wanted to ask, is Maths a prerequisite for either computer science or information technology because I've heard it is, but some people say you can enter either of those degrees with just English, so wanted to confirm.

dav53521

HSC
From my knowledge I know adv computing at usyd requires a band 4 in maths adv to enter but comp sci at uts and UNSW don't require maths and info tech at uts and Macquarie don't require maths

Gr00by

HSC
Just wanted to ask, is Maths a prerequisite for either computer science or information technology because I've heard it is, but some people say you can enter either of those degrees with just English, so wanted to confirm.
Having a good mathematical literacy would definitely help a tonne in CS I'm pre sure though. Like if you go into without doing any HSC math, you will likely have a pretty hard time and have to put in a lot of work, not too sure tho so take with grain of salt.

SASH_06_X

HSC
Another q, can you transfer to USYD second year based purely on uni results????I've heard you can, but I just want to be sure

year10studentpreparin

HSC
I think only usyd, the others are just assumed knowledge.
Dont be afraid tho, even usyd with their prerequisites has u have a chance to meet them with their own bridging course on coursera, u can just apply for financial aid and get it free.
As long as you did HSC maths like Standard, then I really suggest you do this USYD course about precalculus then calculus for essential degrees.
If you didnt do HSC maths at all well the others are probs being nice but downplaying it and that you will probably be a part of the % of people who drop out of degrees especially in math heavy degrees like comp sci and engineering

but there is always a way if ur willing to work hard at it, u cant be a lazy POS at all.
Discipline yourself to say no to mundane crap and focus

SASH_06_X

HSC
I think only usyd, the others are just assumed knowledge.
Dont be afraid tho, even usyd with their prerequisites has u have a chance to meet them with their own bridging course on coursera, u can just apply for financial aid and get it free.
As long as you did HSC maths like Standard, then I really suggest you do this USYD course about precalculus then calculus for essential degrees.
If you didnt do HSC maths at all well the others are probs being nice but downplaying it and that you will probably be a part of the % of people who drop out of degrees especially in math heavy degrees like comp sci and engineering

but there is always a way if ur willing to work hard at it, u cant be a lazy POS at all.
Discipline yourself to say no to mundane crap and focus
The USYD course starts today, but I've still got one exam to prepare for. Do you know if it 's possible to start next week????

year10studentpreparin

HSC
The USYD course starts today, but I've still got one exam to prepare for. Do you know if it 's possible to start next week????
if ur referring to if ur able to start the maths advanced bridging course next week well yeah u defo can if u buy it (i think 75 bucks) or u could wait about 2 weeks which is certain u will then get the bridging course for free. which u can work on it in ur own free time
sorry if I didnt understand ur question

BTW you can enroll in the bridging course anytime on coursera and complete it for free, its just if u apply for financial aid or buy the course then you get a CERTIFICATE of your completion once you finish it which u can put on ur linkedin etc.

Last edited:

year10studentpreparin

HSC
Please note that registration for further exams for Semester 1, 2024 admission entry will open in late October 2023.
Please check this page for updates regarding confirmed exam dates for Semester 1, 2024.

if you are talking about the MOOC well that is the info above. you basically do the Coursera USYD maths bridging course in ur freetime and then u do the MOOC test and if u pass it then you will be admitted into the course.

However, if you are not going to USYD well just doing the USYD introduction to calculus course on coursera will definitely help and you can do it anytime in the holidays before Uni starts in January and February.
Highly recommend it, amazing course and will get you prepared better for Uni mathematics especially in comp sci

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)