bachelor of communications media arts a production 2010 (1 Viewer)

isjongood

HSC
Journalism is a pretty crappy field at the moment. My girlfriend who is going through the media arts production course regularly tells me that the death of the newspapers has alot of head journalists worried.

If you ask me it's a pretty stupid thing to worry about, media changes, people on the internet may operate according to a different context (abundance of information, aversion to paying) but given the sheer bulk of people, if journalists could pull their finger out and offer some quality online material in a mixture of paid/free format than there is money to be made.

On your question about what the course is generally like, well first year is pretty useless, its all intro units and because there are so many students doing the course first year (before the big second year drop off) whom are not really high performers the classes and assignments tend to be mind numbingly simple. Second year, I'm hoping is better, as the worst students drop off and the class sizes shrink.

So if your o.k with doing easy busy work for a least a few years go for it, the degree does open doors, otherwise try a different degree. UWS is probably best for psychology/business/medicine inclined people.

magickmidget

HSC
N/A
That's the best you can say... 'I need a life'?
I'm pretty sure I have a life... don't know about you though.

Anyways, I've had a think about why you would make such a dumb statement, and I've come to the conclusion that its just because I can/could justify my argument, considering you had none!
Actually it's that you went to all that effort to look up names for us. Thanks, but I have better things to do.

LAMBERS16

HSC
Actually it's that you went to all that effort to look up names for us. Thanks, but I have better things to do.
I had an argument to prove, so I had to use names.
Oh, and btw I didn't go to that much effort - just a click of a button. Their names were all listed on channel websites and wikipedia.

isjongood

HSC
I had an argument to prove, so I had to use names.
Oh, and btw I didn't go to that much effort - just a click of a button. Their names were all listed on channel websites and wikipedia.
Why does the CSU have a better journalism course? Is it like in acting colleges where the course itself doesn't matter but the deals the establishment has with television networks and the such or is it the selective intake of students leading to more success stories? (guessing both) Also I'm not too sure you should trust someone from News Limited (Newscorp) http://petermartin.blogspot.com/2009/10/they-do-things-differently-at-newscorp.html

Last edited:

LAMBERS16

HSC
CSU has a more practical course for those that are serious about pursuing a course in journalism. From the very first year, students are put into practical work - newsroom, the radio that is run oncampus, uni magazine and this is incorporated into their subject grades. Many unis that offer journalism wait until the last year to prepare journalism students for a journalism career. That is how CSU and UTS have attained great reputations in the media industry. What it comes down to is that potential employers want journalists who are ready to work, which is what these unis offer.
Probably going a bit too far to prove my point, but this video just solidifies my argument: YouTube - Study journalism at CSU (Bathurst, Australia)

I didn't solely rely on News Limited, a columnist from the Sydney Morning Herald also recommended CSU. But UTS is just as highly recommended as CSU for any potential journalism students.

Why does the CSU have a better journalism course? Is it like in acting colleges where the course itself doesn't matter but the deals the establishment has with television networks and the such or is it the selective intake of students leading to more success stories? (guessing both) Also I'm not too sure you should trust someone from News Limited (Newscorp) Peter Martin: They do things differently at NewsCorp

born2pry

HSC
Lamb guy...

to be perfectly honest, it doesn't really matter that much where you study media as long as you're proactive and do a stack of work experience.

Because that's what UTS and CSU have over other unis - the compulsory prac, where you learn the important stuff. But there's nothing to stop students at other unis doing it off their own back.

Stop freaking out... You can do just as well at UWS as you can at UTS if you work your butt off

btw ask 90% of those people on your lists and they'll say they learnt nothing at uni compared to in the field.

Grissom

HSC
^ Exactly, degrees dont mean anything in this area. Your showreel and networking abiltiies are your keys to success, and the best place to for both of these is either at Television Technical Operators College or Metroscreen.

Grissom

HSC
CSU has a more practical course for those that are serious about pursuing a course in journalism. From the very first year, students are put into practical work - newsroom, the radio that is run oncampus, uni magazine and this is incorporated into their subject grades. Many unis that offer journalism wait until the last year to prepare journalism students for a journalism career. That is how CSU and UTS have attained great reputations in the media industry. What it comes down to is that potential employers want journalists who are ready to work, which is what these unis offer.
Probably going a bit too far to prove my point, but this video just solidifies my argument: YouTube - Study journalism at CSU (Bathurst, Australia)
You do realise UWS has these things too? :uhoh:

Bananaberry

HSC
No actually, the Editorial Manager at News Limited in Sydney told myself and a cohort of students in a work experience journalism program last year that the two best places were UTS and CSU for journalism.

So I am sorry, but I am going to trust someone who has been in the media industry for over 30 years than some asinine person who thinks they know everything.

Journalists there across all departments also advised us to go to those places as they have the highest job rates for graduating students... and also not just high job rates, but jobs in high positions.

Here's a list of the uts journalism graduates to back up my point: (which I feel is very pathetic that I have to....)

Stephen McDonnel (China correspondent for ABC)
Ross Gittins (economics correspondent SMH)
Martin Peers (senior editor, Wall St Journal)
Michael Atkin (ABC JJJ reporter and young radio journalist of the year last year)
Ben Cubby (SMH environment reporter)
Dylan Welch SMH crime reporter
Shannon Jones (now work as a producer for Andrew Denton)
Sunanda Creagh Reuters Indonesia
Daniel Street Channel Nine and young reporter of the year last year
Phil Thornton reporter and expert on Thai Burmese border
Emily Lawrence ABC regional radio
Ben Rossleigh 2UE producer
Jace Molan
Bonny Symons Brown AAP Canberra
Eoin Blackwell AAP
Belinda Merhab AAP (and just 20 years old!)
Brenden Hills news.com
Bill Birtles ABC
John Connell ABC documentaries
Eurydice Aroney Radio National
Mario Christodolou Illawarra Mercury and Walkley winner
Liam Phelan SMH night editor
Sharon Labi Sunday Telegraph reporter
Joel Labi 2GB
Kyle Taylor researcher at SBS Insight
Stephen Shore Financial Review reporter
Tim Palmer Lateline Executive Producer ABC
Jarrod Koh Channel Nine news
David Benuik AAP Sports
Jeremy Hartcher Fox Sports
Arianne Martin Channel Seven producer
Lauren Dubois Ten News
Carrie LaFranz Reuters
Morgan Mellish Walkley award winner who died in the plane crash in Indonesia and worked for the Financial Review
Cynthia Banham diplomatic editor the Sydney Morning Herald (also injured in the plane crash)
Jano Gibson SMH and now freelancing for the UTS
Belinda Kontominas
Sam Brett SMH columnist
Kelly Burke SMH
Amanda Phelan columnist for the Irish Independent
Julie Shingleton Jakarta Post
Tanya Plibersek (Federal ALP Minister but I refuse to pad this list with ‘authors’ like my friend from CSU)
Annabelle Hepburn Financial Review
Mawling Lam Telegraph
Bryce Corbett Reviewer Telegraph)
Bianca Martins Cumberland Newspapers
Nadia Jamal Chief of Staff Sydney Morning Herald
Alexandra Beech Macarthur Advertiser (hired before she even finished her degree after she had participated in the internship program)
Ben Hurley Cumberland Newspapers
Steve Lewis News Ltd political editor
Matt Brown ABC roving reporter
Brendan Trembath ABC
Julie Lewis SMH then the Australian
Jane Searle Financial REview
Stephen Long ABC
David Spicer ABC

CSU graduates of journalism:

Notable alumni
Sarah Armstrong - Author
Samantha Armytage - Seven Network 4.30 news presenter and Weekend Sunrise co-host
Mark Bannerman - ABC Radio National, The 7:30 Report
Alicia Barry - Business Today finance journalist
Chris Bath - Seven News journalist and presenter
Natarsha Belling - Network Ten news presenter
Sally Bowrey - television presenter for The Weather Channel
Andrew Bracey - news reporter for Medical Observer
Tara Brown - 60 Minutes reporter/presenter
Rob Canning - Network Ten presenter for Sports Tonight
Anna Coren - CNN journalist and presenter
Brendan Cowell - actor, screenwriter and director
Aidan Cromarty - political adviser to Rick Colless MLC, NSW Parliament
Andrew Denton - producer and host of Enough Rope
Trevor Dodds - NITV news journalist
Melissa Doyle - Seven Network Sunrise presenter
Celina Edmonds - News presenter for ABC, Sky News and Network Ten
Mike Fitzpatrick (broadcaster) - Triple M Breakfast Show Host
Angelos Frangopoulos - Sky News Australia reporter
Jane Hutcheon - ABC journalist and Foreign Correspondent
Amanda Keller - 2WS FM radio announcer
Andrew Kirk - radio broadcast journalist
Deborah Knight - Network ten newsreader
Allison Langdon - National Nine News reporter
David Mackay - Chief Executive Officer of Kellogg Company
Hamish MacDonald - International Aljazeera English news journalist
Scott McGregor - Television presenter, actor
Marguerite McKinnon - Seven Network journalist
James McTeigue - Hollywood Director
Kate Mitchell - WS-FM weekend newsreader and journalist
Matthew Moore - Sydney Morning Herald journalist
Thai Neave - Fox Sports news presenter, Sports Tonight reporter for Network Ten
Karen Pang - Play School presenter
Kathleen Reen - Regional director, journalist and producer for Asia Projects of Internews
Anthony Robertson - Ten News chief of staff and journalist
Chris Roe - Sky News Australia journalist and presenter
Kathryn Robinson - Sky News presenter, Network Ten report and producer
Jessica Rowe - Seven News presenter
Simon Santow - ABC News media reporter
Edna Tse - ATV News Hong Kong journalist and newsreader
Jacinta Tynan - Sky News Australia presenter
Kevin Wilde - National Nine News reporter
Charlotte Wood - novelist
Monique Wright - Seven's Sunrise weather presenter
Jack Yabsley - Saturday Disney presenter, Totally Wild presenter
Jessica Yates - Fox Sports News presenter

I rest my case.
Yeah well UTS is the best place to do marketing, but I never did it there and never got the marks to do it there so went to UWS and I'm doing more than alright in my career.
Not everyone can or wants to go to CSU or UTS.

BTW, you are yet to start uni...how can you talk about something you have not yet experienced. Have you been to UWS to look at what they have? More so, have you been to CSU to see what they have or do you base your research on the internet and hearsay?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)