Bachelor of Communication(Journalism) (1 Viewer)

Lisa88

HSC
hey
umm...just asking if anyone is doing a Bachelor of Communications because I'm just starting year 12 and I'm looking at doing it.
If anyone could let me know if its hard or anything like that...just let me know.
Thanks.

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
I don't think anyone on these boards does it, but I have a friend who is in her 2nd year and absolutely loving it :D She rekons that if it's what you want to do, then it's not hard at all....

agent_angel

HSC
only issue im aware of with the degree is that its meant to have one of the highest rates of grad unemployment in comparison to the other programs offered. i no ppl who havent found work within the field for 12-18 moths. but if its what u like doing why bother doing something else. just do activities to get yourself in front of the pack.

HSC
This year im doing just a BA but next year im doing just that: BComm majoring in Jouralism. I can't wait to do it. I'm working my ass off to get into it this year, but i know itll be worth it. I've wanted to be a Journo since i was like 8...how many 8yearolds wanna be journalists?!

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
haha i wanted to be a ballerina when i was 8... i got over that, and my astronaut phase pretty quickly, and then teacher seemed like a good idea :D

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
haha, when I was 8, a family friend asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, and I replied (not a word of a lie) "a Bilo checkout chick".
Now look where I am!!

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
then why the fuck are you still at uni?? you have everything you wanted! drop out now girl! stop killing yourself!

HSC
I'm about to start my second year of Combined Law and B Communication majoring in journalism and I really enjoy it. But like other people have mentioned there is alot of competition for jobs. The best way to get work is to go out there and hunt down experience, do your own writing, send stuff in to papers and independent magazines to get stuff published. That way you can get a decent portfolio together to show a prospective employer.

It is never to early to start I would recommend writing reviews of the movies or bands you see, short stories, poetry and opinion pieces. Often you will be able to get some of them published and if not you will still have examples of your writing to show prospective employers even if its only to beat the other students to work experience positions.

My latest thing is writing for www.vibewire.net which is an online magazine that can only be contributed to by those under 30.You can contribute various pieces to the site for them to include on it, they don't publish everything but if it is well written it will probably be used as the site doesnt have the same space restraints as a print publication. It also lists opportunities and events in the writing/media field.

lauren_carter27

Colossal Member
HSC
I like it, it's fun. 1st year subjects are a bit drab but you get to move into more interesting things in 2nd & 3rd year. It's not really hard, you just have to do your work and try getting industry experience.

Madddie.

HSC
agent_angel said:
only issue im aware of with the degree is that its meant to have one of the highest rates of grad unemployment in comparison to the other programs offered. i no ppl who havent found work within the field for 12-18 moths. but if its what u like doing why bother doing something else. just do activities to get yourself in front of the pack.
By in comparison to other programs do u mean other degrees offered at Newy or compared to other comm degrees? Cos i have offfers for communiations at newy and at UNE n have to pick asap!!!!!!!

aussiechica7

HSC
its RIDICULOUSLY hard 2 get a journalist/PR job in newcastle because people stay in their jobs forever so there's rarely an opening. however, if you're happy to move to sydney, go for it :)

Madddie.

HSC
Ah yeah syd is ok...
so what do u think? UNE or UNCLE for communications?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)