Bachelor of Commerce (Liberal Studies) (1 Viewer)

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Hmmm. Id only do B.Comm Lib if you:

1) wanted to major in govt
2) wanted a major from arts faculty
3) wanted to do lots of subjects that wouldnt count for a major but would be helpful to broader learning.

Otherwise do B.Comm and resign yourself to being a rich, boring fag. :cool:

ps. hi stas!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
hi2u sexy ;)
p.s. youre a fag.

p.p.s. you're my fag ;)

p.p.p.s. not really, youre townie's fag.

lol peepee

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
i want a commerce major and a maths major...so it seems like com lib isnt for me...but we'll see

A

adamsaclown

most people who want that are doing B. Commerce/B. Science. Over at UNSW its a 4 year degree, same length as B Com Liberal Studies, you might want to try that

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
thats the exact course im leaning towards - but i might still consider b sc (adv maths) combined with b com at usyd.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
blackfriday said:
thats the exact course im leaning towards - but i might still consider b sc (adv maths) combined with b com at usyd.
If a job straight out of uni is what you want, then it matters not which uni you go to, but you as a person. A degree isn't going to get you a job itself, so whether you graduate at Sydney or UNSW doesn't really mean jack unless you have a good record, not just academically, and you can demostrate this at interviews.

The best suggestion - go to the open days and see what campus you like better

jpr333

HSC
Campus comparisons LOL. Go to UNSW if you like concrete.

steelite

HSC
Im so confused...im doing Com (lib studies) and i only have 42 credit points this yr instead of 48...:worried:

I think its because in my science component im doing maths (yay!) and each maths for each semester is worth 3 units...what do i do???

Im going to ask the SIO tomorrow...but im lost now and confused and about to break out in tears...haha

*oh btw this is my bros account cause im too lazy to log into mine..

luv neats

stazi

Nightman
HSC
you can overload in later semesters, but arent there more cp of maths you can do?
How are you getting 42 though? should be at 44.

Royus

HSC
Uni Grad
stazi said:
haha i love you brogan.
and seraphim, you can also do subjects outside your faculty in b com.

As said, if you just want to go into business ASAP (or a component of it), then b com is your best bet.
If you want to more develop your interests and have a more holistic education (and don't mind the extra year), b com (lib) is your best bet.

Personally, I am transferring to b com (lib) as it seems to be the only way for me to do an extended marketing major, along with a psychology major.
B(Comm [Liberal Studies]) is elite.

But I've transferred out of it. And USYD.

HSC
I would like to do Psyc & BCom, So would BCom Liberal studies be a good idea?

Whats "communications and critical analysis"? Cheers

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
ChilledAmbience said:
I would like to do Psyc & BCom, So would BCom Liberal studies be a good idea?

Whats "communications and critical analysis"? Cheers
Yeah you should be able to major in a science and either one or two bus and eco subjects. Im just majoring in 3 eco and bus subjects and taking my science units in 4th year. "Communications and critical analysis" is a stupid easy course that doesnt have an exam and has easy assessments and is thus a great bludge.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
u can only major in psych if you take four government units, as well.

HSC
stazi said:
u can only major in psych if you take four government units, as well.

What exactly are "government units"?

Also, is doing a language compulsory? If so how many credits worth?

Is there a link so I could find out the actual structure of the course? Instead of bothering you guys.
The usyd site link http://www.econ.usyd.edu.au/course/FH019 is not very specific.

Last edited:

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Government units = units from the faculty of Government and International Relations. Essentially, they are politics subjects. Stas means that you do these subjects in order to free up enough units to major in Psychology.

Languages are not compulsory. You can do whatever arts subjects you want as long as you fulfill the req of 24cp.

You can find more detailed information in the Faculty handbook as examples of course structuring are included. Find it here. http://www.usyd.edu.au/handbooks/

They are toward the front of the "book".

HSC
Are there any other similar or equivalant course at other unis? Albeit USYD is king.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I don't think so. I did research on this type of degree in Year 12 and couldn't find a close enough equivalent unless you consider a double B Commerce/ B Arts degree. I don't consider that close because it requires a full Arts degree to be completed and doesn't have the streamlined characteristics of B Com (Lib St).

Then again, B Com (Lib St) is relatively new, only introduced in the late 90's I think.

Last edited:

jpr333

HSC
So my sources tell me you cannot transfer out of commerce (liberal studies) to straight commerce after a year of study now due to the gayness in the new pre-req's for commerce. Any confirmation? I so don't want to be stuck at uni doing arts and sciences for a whole yr :(

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I guess you can if you have reasonable marks because the cut off for Com (Lib St) is higher than B Comm anyway. Not sure about all those new pre reqs though. Maybe asking the SIo is the best way to get an answer cos it's a complicated question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)