Bachelor of Arts ??? (1 Viewer)

wyho

HSC
N/A
hello everyone how r u?

i juz wana ask about this course.... bachelor of arts

im interested in studying a language at uni and become a translator or sumfin.

what is the difference between bachelor of arts and bachelor of arts (languages)?

how come arts haf a low uai while languages haf a high uai?

dun they both teach the same thing? like languages/?

hello99999

HSC
arts (languages) is a 4yr degree with a semester or year overseas i think, and i'm pretty sure that the uni pays for you to go there as well. you have to major in at least one language

arts is a 3yr degree with no overseas requirement and you don't have to major in a language. (but you can if you want to)

my guess at the reason for the uai difference is that they would only let a very small number of people do arts (languages) (maybe 50 or so), but a lot more do just the arts (a couple of hundred). and more people would want to do languages because they probably assume it looks better, more prestige, i'm-doing-a-better-arts-degree-than-you sort of stuff.

you should think about what else you are interested in as well in terms of career prospects. you may find you'd be more secure in taking language units as part of another degree or doing combined arts.

wyho

HSC
N/A
oh, so they basically the same course but they just separate the brighter students from the other students is that right?

awww...free study overseas... im so envy of them... *dreams to get 97uai*

stazi

Nightman
HSC
wyho said:
oh, so they basically the same course but they just separate the brighter students from the other students is that right?

awww...free study overseas... im so envy of them... *dreams to get 97uai*
if you want to major in languages and become a translator you should work on your grammar:
"im so envious of them"

wyho

HSC
N/A
o sorry ar me a fob, ill try improve thanks for ur advice =.="

ez_19

Musikerin
HSC
With Arts (lang) you get $5000 towards a semester or year overseas & have to do a language major. Normal arts you don't have these requirements, and you also don't have to complete as many credit pts. The reason the UAI is so high is the demand for the course - all UAI cut offs are corresponding to the number of people applying.

chepas

HSC
^... Also you have to keep a credit average over all your subjects, or have at maximum three passes, in the first three years of the degree or until you go on exchange, lest they transfer you to a pure BA degree. :)()

Also with the BA Lang you have to do two majors, one of which must be a language. (And to complicate things further - it's 192 credit points' worth of subjects instead of 144. But don't worry about that yet lol)

And yes, high demand. Speaking to one of the course directors only about 30 people are admitted a year :S. But then, the pressure to do well never ends hehe.

The $5000 will also barely put a dent into the savings/deep pocketed relations it will need (they keep saying at least $10,000/semester overseas). I keep praying for an anonymous benefactor....

Also if you wanted to do Honours in the language you can chose do the fourth year as an honours year instead of just a normal year. So it's a neat little package.

Last edited:

chepas

HSC
Yep. The excahnge programme has lots of options. You can go on exchange with any degree.

ww.usyd.edu.au/io/exchange

Last edited:

jessum

HSC
i see you're doing german in your degree. what level, coz i am too! hehe. but im not doing arts languages, just liberal studies actually.
its a bit unfair that they give the arts(languages) people money to go on their overseas year but not the liberal studies (international) people who also have the compulsory language and overseas study year.
oh well. who am i to complain, i didnt get a high enough uai anyway :p

rebemol

HSC
hey chepas, are u doing a major in music as well as french? cos what kind of stuff do u do in music?

cos im interested in doing both music and languages.. what would be the difference to do them in b.arts rather than b.arts(lang)????

heidi_kak

HSC
you'd do the same subjects, just that you get an extra year in arts (lang).

rebemol

HSC
oh ok..
so if u did b.arts, how many subjects can you major in?
and what's the difference between b.arts and b.arts(advanced)??

jellybeenz

HSC
Bachelor of Arts Adv requires you to undertake 2nd year subjects in first year- therefore requiring more senior level credit points than just a regular Arts degree. You also get Arts Adv written on your degree, it also requires a higher uai, I'm not sure about other specifics...

In Arts I think you can major in three subjects at the most and that would take a lot of work, also forethought about your degree i.e. make a decision about what you want to major in while selecting first year subjects and so on. You can also major in subjects from another faculty as long as you have an Arts major as well.

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC
jellybeenz said:
Bachelor of Arts Adv requires you to undertake 2nd year subjects in first year- therefore requiring more senior level credit points than just a regular Arts degree.
Im pretty sure its not compulsory to do second year subjects in first year, its just an option we can take up if we want to...

jellybeenz

HSC
Really? my friend does it and he said it was a requirement of the degree... I dunno, I don't do it so I'm relying on second hand info anyway

chepas

HSC
rebemol said:
hey chepas, are u doing a major in music as well as french? cos what kind of stuff do u do in music?

cos im interested in doing both music and languages.. what would be the difference to do them in b.arts rather than b.arts(lang)????
Hey rebemol (Your name is excellent btw. Db is the world's best pitch (when A=440Hz) :p.

First question: Yes. I am (well, will be) doing two majors, music and French.

In first-year music there are two strands of music you can do - Fundamentals of Music (two subjects, one each semester) where you start from the very beginning of music knowledge: concepts etc, but for beginners. There is also the "Music in Western Culture" course available for first-years which is like a study of the history of western music from Medieval periods up until the Australian art music of C20th, with a bit of analysis. That was fun and good to revise all the stuff you'd have learnt in the HSC courses! This semester, those who did Music 2 or above can do "Concepts of Music" - what I'm doing. This is like a more advanced version of the "Fundamentals" - a lot more. After not having done any significant theory stuff for about 10 months it's a challenge! But it should end up being good.

You can also do a music subject for first year called "Global Sound - African-American Music" or something like that. That sounded actually really good but I couldn't do it cos of timetable clashes.

As for differences between BA and BA Lang - what other people have said above: 4 years instead of 3, compulsory 6 month or year long exchange (with the bursary thingo), and also the fact that you have to do two majors, one of which must be a language.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
chepas :D.

rebemol

HSC
Thanx heaps chepas!
and thanx for the compliment - haha..Db is the best pitch! also my fav key..(im so lame..) :p

so if u study music in with arts - BA or BA-lang, (ie do music as a major), u can also choose to major in performance/compo/musicology..is that right??

chepas

HSC
Major or minor? A lot of my comps last year were in Db major, a very nice warmth it gives. ;)

Whether you choose BA or BA Lang you will still study the same subjects and have the same choice of subjects you can do. For music and if you do a music major you can do pretty much anything. The way it works is that you do two first year subjects in music, then one compulsory senior (ie, non-first year) and that makes up the subjects in music that you HAVE to do. Then you have free reign for the rest of the 5 or so subjects that remain for the rest of the degree. Among the music options you have lots of performance options, lots of comp options and also analysis/musicology ones - so yes in effect you can major in one of the three within your music major.

Here's a link with all the music subjects that were offered this year.

rebemol

HSC
yeh- Db maj is my fav key ;) Oh really? So u did compo elective for HSC music?

Thanks heaps for all the info!! music at syd uni is looking more and more better :D cos first i was considering on doing BmusBA at UNSW, or Bmus at con, but now im leaning more towards Barts(adv) or Barts(lang) and doing music in with that.
So are all the music classes/lectures held in the seymour centre?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)