Bachelor of Arts with a major in Psychological Science (1 Viewer)

Deniz_

HSC
Hey I'm considering doing the bachelor of Arts with a major in Psychology, my atar will be 75ish which means i wont be scoring high enough for the normal Psychology courses at Macq and was just wondering whats the difference to the normal psychology courses? It says it counts towards the first three years of professional psychology training but then after that it says it doesnt lead to professional postgraduate training in psychology so im abit confused :confused2:.., i really want to get into Macquarie Uni

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Don't take my word for it as i'm not up to date with this, but to qualify for Clinical Psych (that's practising as a psychologist) your program follows: 3 years undergrad + 1 year honours + practical experience of at least 2 years.

Now before there weren't any issues with doing the first 3 years of undergrad in either BAPsych, BSciPsych or the BPsych honours, since all three allowed you to access the 4th year honours program if you satisfied the relevant GPA requirement. However, I have heard that with MQ getting rid of honours, this will significantly affect those not in the B Psych (hons) program as it will be the only one with the 4th year rolled into it. I've only heard snippets from friends in their 3rd year from lecturers and I'm sure others will be able to clarify, but that's just the quick and dirty.

Deniz_

HSC
My atar will most likely not reach the 80s that i need to do BAPsych or BPsych however the Bachelor of Arts with a major in Psychological Science with its 75 cut off is within my reach, I just dont know if it still gives me the same kind of opportunities to further study in psychology, this is where i am really lost. If its not worth it do you know anything about how psychology is like in ACU or UWS?

craxyfox

HSC
Hi there :) I'm currently studying B Arts with the Psych major and I'm planning to transfer into the B Arts-Psychology course next year
From what I know, their structure for the Psychology courses have changed quite a lot, and basically in order to do any Postgrad in Psychology at Macquarie, you will need to do the Honours year, so as Asylum mentioned it should be 4 years before continuing to become a registered psychologist

you can check it out here
http://www.psy.mq.edu.au/courses/pdf/2013_Psychology_Pathways_to_registration_Flowchart.pdf

So yea, Macquarie seems to have made it harder to get into Postgraduate Psychology courses with the 4th Honours year becoming a requirement, whereas beforehand you could have completed something along the lines of a Graduate Certificate.

The main difference between the Psychology course and the Psych Major, is that the major is not accredited for any further postgrad work/registration as a psychologist, whereas with the Psychology course you can continue with further studies and become registered
Either way, it is absolutely fine to get into the B Arts with the Psych major, and then transfer into the full B Arts- Psych course after a semester, so no need to worry as long as you are committed to the course :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)