Bachelor of Arts or SIBT? (1 Viewer)

ChrisAC

HSC
thats kind of odd. im a local student who went through SIBT and got expected results. Are you saying SIBT was biased against local students or are you saying that SIBT mid semester assessments were too easy, giving you a false sense of confidence for the final exam? in SIBT, final exams are all pretty similar to previous ones, so the confidence thing shouldnt be an issue unless you didnt study with the aid of practising past papers?

the only reason i wouldnt reccomend SIBT is for the cost reasons. SIBT is fairly strong in the other aspects. SIBT final exams are generally easier to the equivalent MQ final exams as well. If you are complaining about SIBT finals, i'd hate to see your complaints about MQ finals

Sandralee

HSC
N/A
I have no complaint about the final exams. I believed I didn't fail it that's why I was furious. It was actually how it was marked. I did not believe I failed it but from looking at the total final marks I was only given 10% in the final exam. At SIBT they didn't allow us to have our exam paper remarked independently like at a normal uni. There was no feedback given on how the paper was marked. I submitted a request for a grade review but my request was immediately rejected. We were never given any past exam practice papers. R u studying at MQ already? So you made it into Bachelor of Professional Acctg? Did you fail any units or you just cruised through & got your diploma? Did you pass Accounting 1A, 1B, Finance & Stat in one go?

Last edited:

ChrisAC

HSC
Well i never requested a grade review in SIBT nor MQ so im not sure on the process, but if you completed a paper 10% is pretty impossible. I know that grade reviews are contingent on your assessment performance and your attendence, so if you didnt do well in prior assessments or your attendence to class was lacking they dont bother reassessing your marks (this goes with uni too)

if you did passed all prior assessments and had near perfect attendence i would be furious as well. I dont know the process but i wouldnt have settled for anything other than someone going through my marked paper with me

i beleive some past papers or practise finals are given for some units but maybe not for the ones you did. Although with SIBT for ACCG you get that big book with all the content in it and the final is basically made up of the same exercises with different numbers

im currently in 3rd year prof accg at MQ. i went through SIBT with no fails, closest was a 63. I actually got good marks in 1A a 84, finance 83 and stat 77. i was in SIBT two years ago, times couldnt have changed much since then

Last edited:

Sandralee

HSC
N/A
My attendance was 100% in 1A and as I said my assessment mark was in the 90 percentile. Generally a student may request to see the Unit Supervisor to get feedback about the exam but by the time the Supervisor was available to meet with you , the four week period to withdraw from the course without financial penalty would've lapsed. I am surprised you got HD in finance. That's the hardest unit to pass and majority of students fail it at least once.

Last edited:

kkmok

HSC
Uni Grad
at MQ you have score 85 or above to get HD, I think accounting should be harder than finance lol

ChrisAC

HSC
My attendance was 100% in 1A and as I said my assessment mark was in the 90 percentile. Generally a student may request to see the Unit Supervisor to get feedback about the exam but by the time the Supervisor was available to meet with you , the four week period to withdraw from the course without financial penalty would've lapsed. I am surprised you got HD in finance. That's the hardest unit to pass and majority of students fail it at least once.
I see, well i really dont know what to say other than that i think you were treated wrongly and/or something doesnt add up and i cant put my finger on it

i will however say that SIBT for me was an overall positive experience for me and i know quite a few local friends who had a similar experience. I will also say however that i had a couple high school friends who did SIBT and failed (on finance as you indicated) but that was due to lack of effort/not good enough rather than the course/markers being harsh.

Good luck in UWS perhaps you can transfer directly back to MQ if you do well there and you want to come to MQ.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)