• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Bachelor of Ancient History (Honours)? (1 Viewer)

goshawk

Who here is doing the Ancient course?

It looks like it was only offered rescently however, cause there was no UAI cut off mark from previous years. It looks very good though, and I've applied for it. So fingers crossed. :)

If it has been run before, anyone offer some insight it to what to expect? (if I get in) lol

Thanks.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Im not exactly doing the B AHST, but i am planning to do a AHST stream with Philosophy, so im guessing you'll be doing subjects similar to me(if not the same)

The course and their lecturers/tutors are of a high standard and they know their shit. It is not particularly boring but quite interesting and if you're really up for it its something i highly recommend :)

goshawk

Thanks for that.

I've done really well in both my modern and ancient courses, and that will hopefully be the case for the HSC too. I gotta drag my 2unit maths up but should be able too for the UAI.

Good luck to you as well.

I got really hooked by the prospect of actually going to do fieldwork in Eygpt, Israel, Turkey, Greece and\or Italy. Its apparently intergrated into the course.

Will your Philosophy course require learning ancient languages too?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Haha, no, thankfully no ancient greek from Socrates so far.

Umm, as a note, the first year subjects will be kind of a recap and more indepth of your hsc ones, in my case Fall of the Roman Republic, it was kinda boring at the beginning but took a life of its own later and be prepared to do a lot of readings and spend a lot of time in the library and e-reserve :) i sure have.

goshawk

Its all good, I think I'll just be too happy to be in UNI to care about how boring the course is. ;) Then when it picks up the wow factor will ware off. hehe

Your lucky about no ancient greek, etc. I think if the course does offer trips to Israel and such, alot of people would be worried. I for one dont want to be featured as part of a 'dig' any time soon.

I have heard there arent many places the course can take you after you've finished it, but I'll be their for my interest in history anyway. Thanks for explaining the course further, now just gotta tackle the HSC. :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Well yeah its rather specific in its outcome as far as careers go but you could always do another degree and just combine with a BA : maj AHST if you really wanted

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)