Bachelor Engineering/Commerce (1 Viewer)

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
It was recently pointed out to me that actuarial studies is really competitive for jobs. due to this i am strongly considering combining it with engineering in uni.

now i have a few questions:
* I had to drop physics in term 1 of this year due to a bad prac test result. will i be at any sort of disadvantage not having done it?
*also what is the most interesting or best engineering degree.

BobMac

HSC
Hey man I was in a situation similar to you before. I wanted to do engineering and actuarial but from what I've been told the workload is massive.
Im sure you've been told about actuarial being alot of work, well imagine that with engineering. You'd probably have no more of a life then you would in the HSC.
Although for me my interest in engineering has diminished.
If you do wan't to combine actuarial with something how about commerce, I've looked into that and it seems interesting and besides the workload isn't as much.
However, if you still want to combine it with engineering then UNSW is the way to go. Try this http://www.eng.unsw.edu.au/info-about/schools
Hope this helps.

EDIT: You will be at a disadvantage for dropping physics in you intend to go in the engineering field

Last edited:

decypher

HSC
If you want to enter the commerce field I suggest that you don't combine with engineering because:

1. Engineering is hard, if you aren't that interested in it you will get poor marks, not enjoy the course etc.
2. Why spend $32k (8*4*1000) on a degree you won't use?
3. Engineering requires a min of 12 weeks work exp as an engineer to graduate. This will be difficult for you to obtain if you aren't serious about the industry and can cause you difficulties obtaining a job in commerce later (especially if that is all your work experience).
4. Engineering is based around physics and mechanics, a field that you have difficulties in now. Why would it be any different at uni?

You are far better off doing a double with Maths, or even better get some form on work experience in the industry during uni as this is what will set you appart come graduation.

kr73114

HSC
It was recently pointed out to me that actuarial studies is really competitive for jobs. due to this i am strongly considering combining it with engineering in uni.

now i have a few questions:
* I had to drop physics in term 1 of this year due to a bad prac test result. will i be at any sort of disadvantage not having done it?
*also what is the most interesting or best engineering degree.
well uve done year 11 physics, so u know the basics

tambam

HSC
what about combining it with economix.
Why don't you just do a commerce double major? Like actuary with economics, finance or accounting.
Or does it not work, cos for actuary you need to do some specific subjects instead of some of the regular commerce subjects

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
Why don't you just do a commerce double major? Like actuary with economics, finance or accounting.
Or does it not work, cos for actuary you need to do some specific subjects instead of some of the regular commerce subjects
oh gud point. so i wuld do actuarial as one major and choose one other major. ill hav to go luk the up. rep for you.

tambam

HSC
oh gud point. so i wuld do actuarial as one major and choose one other major. ill hav to go luk the up. rep for you.
Are you applying for the UNSW actuary coop?
Because if you're really set on actuary, then getting a coop would actually pretty much guarantee you a job

imZerroo

HSC
I like both Engineering and Actuary. Does Mac-q offer this or only UNSW? I have no idea about this degree TBH.
I dont mind some workload, but hopefully its not that much of a workload that you dont get to have a life.
And, what career options are there if I do this double degree? It would obviously be better than on B Actuary right?
Sorry guys, but I don't know much about this and I would really like to know as this is something that interests me. Thanks. :]

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
Are you applying for the UNSW actuary coop?
Because if you're really set on actuary, then getting a coop would actually pretty much guarantee you a job
i considered applying but i havent done any community service and stuff. and what do you mean by it will guarantee u a job.

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
I like both Engineering and Actuary. Does Mac-q offer this or only UNSW? I have no idea about this degree TBH.
I dont mind some workload, but hopefully its not that much of a workload that you dont get to have a life.
And, what career options are there if I do this double degree? It would obviously be better than on B Actuary right?
Sorry guys, but I don't know much about this and I would really like to know as this is something that interests me. Thanks. :]
obviously if u managed to get though a engineering/commerce degree u wuld have career opportunities in a wide range of fields. but u shuld read the comments made by various ppl above about the workload.

tambam

HSC
Yeah, macq has engineering/commerce- but i'm not sure about actuary. http://www.engineering.mq.edu.au/degrees/undergrad/double/
And UNSW is super generous with bonus points. Like i think you need 97ish to get into commerce and/or engineering, but you get up to 5 bonus points just by getting band 5/6 (maybe 4) in stuff like maths & english.
So realistically, you only need to aim for around 92 atar.

But you should take into account that they are completely different degrees in completely different fields,
So one degree (and lots of money) is going to be a waste of your time, unless you want a 180degree career change half way through your life, I guess that gives you a lot of options.
But i guess if you're really really keen on both of them, then you could do both. But if ones just like a 'back up' in case you don't get a job in the other, when you actually do have a strong preference, then that's probably not worth it.

tambam

HSC
i considered applying but i havent done any community service and stuff. and what do you mean by it will guarantee u a job.
I'm not sure about actuary, but i know people doing accounting/finance coops who have done internships at several of the best firms in Australia,
And they pretty much give you a pending job offer for when your graduate.
So it would be the best actuarial firms in Australia sponsoring you to go through uni and do internships with them, and then at the end of your uni degree, basically everyone gets a job offer from a sponsor.
Or even if you chose not to work for a sponsor company, you have months/years of experience under your belt, which gives you an automatic advantage over ALL the other grad students applying for actuarial positions straight out of uni.

I think you should apply, you don't really have anything to lose by applying, but you're giving up a massive opportunity if you just don't bother.
I reckon as long as you have some sports,leadership stuff you could get yourself an interview, and then its a matter of being well presented and impressing the interviewer.

kr73114

HSC
its well recognised, employers will recognise it as a highly prestigious scholarship and will offer you a job

imZerroo

HSC
Yeah, macq has engineering/commerce- but i'm not sure about actuary. http://www.engineering.mq.edu.au/degrees/undergrad/double/
And UNSW is super generous with bonus points. Like i think you need 97ish to get into commerce and/or engineering, but you get up to 5 bonus points just by getting band 5/6 (maybe 4) in stuff like maths & english.
So realistically, you only need to aim for around 92 atar.

But you should take into account that they are completely different degrees in completely different fields,
So one degree (and lots of money) is going to be a waste of your time, unless you want a 180degree career change half way through your life, I guess that gives you a lot of options.
But i guess if you're really really keen on both of them, then you could do both. But if ones just like a 'back up' in case you don't get a job in the other, when you actually do have a strong preference, then that's probably not worth it.
ohhh ok.. makes sense. i didnt think of it like wasting a degree, so yeh.
thanks for your help :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)