HSC
whos seen this
what do u think?

i thought it was quite weird
but not too bad

saw it instead of Apocalypto tho :(

icecreamdisco

HSC
weird? wtf? unless you're completely unfamiliar with non-linear narratives, this film covers fairly familiar territory.

anyway, i though it sucked. histronic and contrived, with the japanese scenes being the sole merit. since when did the world need a global, verite-style remake of crash? of course, those negative qualities are likely to ensure oscar® success. bah.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
icecreamdisco said:
weird? wtf? unless you're completely unfamiliar with non-linear narratives, this film covers fairly familiar territory.

anyway, i though it sucked. histronic and contrived, with the japanese scenes being the sole merit. since when did the world need a global, verite-style remake of crash? of course, those negative qualities are likely to ensure oscar® success. bah.
Oh my bad
I might have got it if i was watching all of it haha

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
I want an entire film with the quiet intensity (lol, PUN!) and acting quality of the Japanese segment, without all the other shit.

Has Rinko Kukichi ever been in anything else I may have seen, because I think I am in love with her... what an amazingly complex character. When she was crying in front of the cop, I actually started sobbing, it was so real to me.

I was totally on team JHud for best supporting actress, but now...I don't know.

But I want Abigail Breslin to win simply because she is the most adorable little ball of squish ever captured on camera.

SharkBait

HSC
bah....babel is overrated. and may i just say that the 2 most well known actors in the film (pitt and blachett) did the worst job in the film! the mexican babysitter lady was very good and obviously rinko did a superb job considering the complex intensity of the character, esp since she cudnt speak...which is sucha important part of acting. but yeh didnt like the film very much at all actually. so i hope it doesnt take any gongs at the oscars.

icecreamdisco

HSC
the reliably vitriolic reverse shot tears this a new one:

The only thing keeping Alejandro Gonzalez Innaritu's Babel from being this year's Crash is that the filmmaking isn't as embarrassingly inept. Inarritu can at least stage a scene, allow a conflict to grow with burdensome intensity, and direct actors to gut-wrenching heights, even as we're rolling our eyes in immeasurable disbelief. Where Inarritu really shows his bluff (even more so than in the ridiculous Mexican nanny plotline) is in the Tokyo thread. Though it's been criticized for bearing only the most tangential relation to the rest of the film's interlocking tales of global woe, Chieko's story is problematic for far more significant reasons: How could anyone not call Inarritu out on his deathly combination of sexism and exoticism? What more simplistic, cynical, and vile way to exemplify the "heartache of miscommunication" (or something...the film's really not about communication at all) than to create as your lead a deaf-mute teenage girl who, in a desperate bid for connection, flashes her privates in cafeterias, puts her dentist's hand on her vagina, and, in her ultimate humiliation, strips naked in front of a much older police detective? Sorry, but this disgusting male construction (elevating schoolgirl-uniform fantasies to art-house pretension), complete with gratuitous beaver shots, reveals Inarritu and one-trick-pony screenwriter Guillermo Arriaga for the simple-minded provocateurs they really are. And if all that's not enough, when her father comes home, and finds her standing on the chilly, windy balcony, utterly nude, does he cover his daughter up with a blanket or coat? No, he just hugs her, and she stands naked, for one last titillation, as the camera pulls back, revealing the Tokyo skyline. Final director's words: 'For my children.' Gah, vomit!

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
I disagree.

I didn't think the nudity was gratuitous, and there was something very tragic, peturbed and unsexual about her whole story.

As I said before, I would like to see Inaritu direct an entire film based on this concept, I found it fascinating and heartbreaking.

I can see where he is coming from, as it doesn't stylistically mesh with the rest of the film, but I loved the segment regardless.

Regarding the mexican segment, I didn't realy dig it, but for some reason the scene where
the nephew tears the head off the chicken and the kids look absolutely scrambled
really stayed with me afterwards.

That girl was Dakota Fanning's sister, wasn't it? I thought it was Dakota, and was all "woah, she's small for her age"...She's a cutie. The boy too.

walrusbear

HSC
hahaha
one last titillation :p

i'm glad it brought attention to how entirely meaningless the japanese segment's relation to the film at large truly is

Last edited:

icecreamdisco

HSC
AlleyCat said:
I disagree.

I didn't think the nudity was gratuitous, and there was something very tragic, peturbed and unsexual about her whole story.

As I said before, I would like to see Inaritu direct an entire film based on this concept, I found it fascinating and heartbreaking.
oh, i agree that that segment was the best. i mainly just posted that paragraph cos it made me laugh.

i think my main problem with the film is that it's so sketchy in it's theme, so you just have to take it on the most basic level as a "why can't we all just get along?" film ala crash, but innaritu and arriaga are obviously having so much fun in giving us the ultimate slice of calculated, contrived, feel-bad, series-of-unfortunate-events entertainment that the film ends up negating it's own message. and amores perros works far better on a visceral level, so basically, babel has no reason to exist other than to pander to the academy's crash love.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
icecreamdisco said:
oh, i agree that that segment was the best. i mainly just posted that paragraph cos it made me laugh.

i think my main problem with the film is that it's so sketchy in it's theme, so you just have to take it on the most basic level as a "why can't we all just get along?" film ala crash, but innaritu and arriaga are obviously having so much fun in giving us the ultimate slice of calculated, contrived, feel-bad, series-of-unfortunate-events entertainment that the film ends up negating it's own message. and amores perros works far better on a visceral level, so basically, babel has no reason to exist other than to pander to the academy's crash love.
I totally agree with everything you said.
It is simmilar to crash, and even though I hated crash with a passion, I'd have to admit that at least the links and stories had a through-running theme...I have no idea what Babel was about, only that it was something about miscommunication.

Also, I don't really understand why the Mexican screaming babbler was nominated, her performance made me laugh at points, it was so over the top. Maybe I just don't like that style but can someone who liked her performance explain to me why?

Lori.

HSC
It reminded me a lot of crash as well. When I would tell my customers that its "about several intertwined stories and about cultural/ racial differences..." I'd always think Wow, that is exactly what I said about Crash!
Ally, you're right that its about miscommunication, and also about innocence.

I actually really liked this movie, mainly for the japanese segments (I loved how you could feel her frustration) and for the score - something that sadly, not many people even notice.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
I watched Babel again last night
you get more out of a movie the second time

I even drew parallels with Apocalpyto

jazzmuzik

HSC
I agree with most. i thought it was overated, long winded and dramatic. Lots of very good invidual acting however particularly from the young japanese actress (sorry not sure of her name) and the mexican babysitter. (my votes for the oscars!) i thought the japanese scenes were very accurate and that story itself could have been extended into an entire film. lots of great "lonely planet" style camera work. i thought most of those "confronting" bits of the film were a bit "shocking for the sake of it" ie. the young boy masturbating ??? I found it very similar to Crash which i enjoyed a lot more.
Overall some great features (camera and acting) others not so good (story, linking bits etc.)

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC
I thought it was an amazing story and througth the acting I could have believed that it was all true. Some of the stuff they showed was a bit much but it just helped reinforce them being more human rather than factitious character (IMO). I didn't hear much of it before hand so I went in blidfolded as to all of this hype and I am yet to see crash aswell so maybe I wouldn't have liked it as much had I seen crash before but it was still an amazing story. Best movie of 2006 I think

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
Overrated and found the themes and flow extremely weak, without even comparing it to Crash I would not rate it. Props to whoever did the score though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)