BA Social Sciences (1 Viewer)

dsam

HSC
Hey guys,

I'm in desperate help. UAC Applications for mid year entry are now open and I still have not decided which uni to go to.

I'm hoping if anyone can give me little or much feedback as possible regarding BA Social Sciences @ UNSW. Any experiences?

Cheers :)

nunasdream

HSC
Not sure what it's like (it's my second choice) :D

Check the course plans etc on handbook.unsw.edu.au

and also the timetable! perhaps we'll be in class together? :D

dsam

HSC
Not sure what it's like (it's my second choice) :D

Check the course plans etc on handbook.unsw.edu.au

and also the timetable! perhaps we'll be in class together? :D

lol shall be interesting if it happens..
are you coming from HSC or what?

nunasdream

HSC
Nah, i was too lazy to do school so i'm a "mature age student" bah i'm only 21 :( I feel old.

The timetables from S1 show that the classes aren't paticularly full so we should have a good chance to get in ^_^.

SpoonSamba

HSC
i do a regular BA but all my subjects are social sciences except for a language unit I'm doing.

I've heard social scence has a compulsory unit that is social policy or something which is really really painfully boring

but the rest is pretty much up to you. it depends what courses you do etc , its reasonably flexible degree.

soopacow

Igloo?
HSC
I'd recommend a straight BA instead of BA Social Sciences. But of course, that depends on what you prefer? There's compulsory cores in Social Sciences, but there's none for Arts... And you can do the exact same subjects in Arts as Social Sciences...

Plus I think in Arts you have a higher flexibility in terms of majors than Social Sciences? Correct me if I'm wrong though... That's the impression I was given. :haha:

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
I've heard social scence has a compulsory unit that is social policy or something which is really really painfully boring

I did eco/social science when I first started university back in 07. Then I did that compulsory social science course (SLSP1000) and dropped the degree straight away after the first semester. I'm now happily doing commerce/economics.

Seriously though.... IF YOU MUST DO ARTS OR SOCIAL SCIENCE, DO IT WITH SOMETHING ELSE.

Thank fuck that social science course got counted towards my geneds.

dsam

HSC
hey guys,

first of all, thanks so much for your comments, your inputs are very helpful for giving me a general idea what it is about.

Well, I can tell you what I want to get into in the future- I'd like to work for NGO, UNICEF and the like.

I hear that Social Sciences is a lot of qualitative and quantative research? How is first year like?

Cheers in advance

soopacow

Igloo?
HSC
hey guys,

first of all, thanks so much for your comments, your inputs are very helpful for giving me a general idea what it is about.

Well, I can tell you what I want to get into in the future- I'd like to work for NGO, UNICEF and the like.

I hear that Social Sciences is a lot of qualitative and quantative research? How is first year like?

Cheers in advance
How about Social Science/Social Work?
UNSW Handbook Program - Social Work/Social Science - 4036

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
hey guys,

Cheers in advance
Do eco/social science instead then. A lot of foreign policy will include economics so you're one step ahead if you know what it all means. Consider a major in eco history as well.

Social science is mostly qualitative. Economics (in particular, econometrics) will provide the quantitative foundation that you might be looking for.

SpoonSamba

HSC
To work in that sort of organisation I think a BA is better than Social Science mainly because you can do language. and you can do all the same subjects and make it more relevant, thats what i wanted to do when i started my degree and i was going to major in development studies and french. I've changed my mind now but its not a bad idea.

Pretty much you can do anything and work in development, they need people in IT/economists/logisticians/anthropologists/lawyers/linguists/environmentalists/doctors etc. so its about working out what you'd enjoy and will make you employable.

I'd recommend doubling a BA with economics or health science or something, but you can also make or in environmental science or politics or any of that. They also need people to just be researchers and the like.

So yeah thats my input.

dsam

HSC
Which is better,

Social Sciences at UNSW or Macquarie Uni?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)