BA ( Psychology) (1 Viewer)

emozlie

HSC
Thanks ahen and veridis!! That really helped! and a big thankyou to veridis, those descriptions are really really helpful! I went to the sydney uni open day so that clarified quite a lot of things :D.

somewhereelse

HSC
so liberal studies students w/ majors in psych dont get direct honours entry- does that mean you have to apply like all the arts/psych kids or are you in an worse position for getting into it?

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
does anyone know if its true that psych requires heaps of maths? even in the ba degree, cos if it does then i'm out

LaurenHarvey

HSC
ahen said:
does anyone know if its true that psych requires heaps of maths? even in the ba degree, cos if it does then i'm out
Yeah, from what I've been told there is a bit of maths, certainly in the first year, as there is a big emphasis on statistics. I think you also use applications of calculus in this as well

Hysterik

HSC
When I went to the Open Day the main difference that I could see between the two was that with a Bachelor of Arts with a psych major you are not automatically allowed into the honours year as there are only a limited number of spots. To qualify as a pyschologist you need to do the honours year plus two more years in either a masters degree or professional training. So I guess the main reason that you would want to do a Bachelor of Arts (Psychology) is for the security that you will get into the honours year.

breakout-09

Awesomeness
HSC
Hysterik said:
When I went to the Open Day the main difference that I could see between the two was that with a Bachelor of Arts with a psych major you are not automatically allowed into the honours year as there are only a limited number of spots. To qualify as a pyschologist you need to do the honours year plus two more years in either a masters degree or professional training. So I guess the main reason that you would want to do a Bachelor of Arts (Psychology) is for the security that you will get into the honours year.
AFAIK, you need something like a credit average to keep your place in the Bachelor of Arts (Psychology) course. A credit average is around what you need for honours too. So really, it only guarantees a spot in honours as you're meeting the requirement.. as long as you maintain the same average in a normal BA you have just as much a chance of getting in to honours. :)

Or at least, that's what I gathered from speaking to some of those at the open day.

LaurenHarvey

HSC
No, for just a normal BA you will need most likely a HD as you will be competing for a limited number of spots that have already been taken up by the B psych and BA psych so it is much more competitive entry. However if you are already in these courses I think you can get in on just a credit or D average

breakout-09

Awesomeness
HSC
LaurenHarvey said:
No, for just a normal BA you will need most likely a HD as you will be competing for a limited number of spots that have already been taken up by the B psych and BA psych so it is much more competitive entry. However if you are already in these courses I think you can get in on just a credit or D average
I see... that's not what I got told on one of the open days. :confused:

We'll find out soon enough either way anyway. :)

sweetcandeeh

HSC
i was wondering if you could tell me whether there is a point in doing a art that majors in psch then transfering to art(psyc) if given the chance..
because i know that art(psyc) has more of a guaranteed enterance to honours
and when it was mentioned way, way back...

ahen said:
so basically it doesn't matter if you get a UAI of 85 or a UAI of 98, you can still do psych
sorry, but just need to reinforce that say i dont recieve a 98 UAI can i still do an arts majoring in psyc degree which is almost equivalent to art(psyc)

and for those who do an arts majoring in psyc or art(psyc) can anyone tell me whether they have the same first year outline..?

.thank you =D

carrots please!

not a malcontent
HSC
sweetcandeeh said:
i was wondering if you could tell me whether there is a point in doing a art that majors in psch then transfering to art(psyc) if given the chance..
because i know that art(psyc) has more of a guaranteed enterance to honours
and when it was mentioned way, way back...

sorry, but just need to reinforce that say i dont recieve a 98 UAI can i still do an arts majoring in psyc degree which is almost equivalent to art(psyc)

and for those who do an arts majoring in psyc or art(psyc) can anyone tell me whether they have the same first year outline..?

.thank you =D
eager to know this too!! :)

LaurenHarvey

HSC
Hi,
I am doing the BA(Psych) this year and basically it is just an arts degree with direct entrance to honours (ie. it is the same format of an arts degree in the first 3 years) The main advantage of doing this degree is that you get direct entrance to honours if you gain:
credit in first year
distinction in 2nd and 3rd year (same w/ BPsych)
Yes, you can do a normal B Arts and major in psych that is fine. But you CANNOT do Honours UNLESS you gain HIGH DISTINCTIONS in your degree.
Think of it this way: The Bpsych and Bartspsych are EXPECTED to get into honours.
First year starts off with 1500 students and then dwindles down to approx. 90 in honours. There are 45 people doing Bpsych and 25 people doing Psych. So that's already 70 places taken up, so only 20 left for the normal arts students. Therefore it will be highly competitive to get into honours!!!!
So aim high (you may be unexpectedly surprised as I was). If not there are many many many other ways of doing psych and lower cutoffs for Honours degress at university (ie Macq approx 93)
Even though it all seems a bit daunting, I would still encourage you to do psychology it is so much fun and you will learn so much. My favourite subject thus far!

carrots please!

not a malcontent
HSC
LaurenHarvey said:
But you CANNOT do Honours UNLESS you gain HIGH DISTINCTIONS in your degree.
but even with high distinctions, its still difficult to get into hons? or it just depends on the number that apply for it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)