BA in media and communicats (social inquiry) and international studies (1 Viewer)

Rachael325

HSC
Hey guys im still at high school but im looking at aiming to do BA in media and communicats (social inquiry) and international studies and yeah i was wondering if anyone could tell me about it so i've got a better idea of whats going on there.

olay

HSC
^^ ok thats kinda creepy. i'm in the exact same boat as you. :D so.... any info anyone???

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
well, im doing social inquiriy but i cant help you with international studies. you dont do anyinternational studies stuff til 2nd year though. what kind of stuff do you want to know?

olay

HSC
out of curiousity, what WERE the cut offs???? i compared the UAC guide to the newspaper and the cut offs were different. odd, i thought. how are u liking the course? what subjects are u taking?

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
media and communications is a UNSW course as far as i know - at UTS the course is called BA Communications and there are six diff strands you can select to study eg. public communication (which you can choose to major in either public relations or advertising), social inquiry, journalism, etc

I have a girl that transferred from UNSW media and comm because she said it was directionless and vague. UTS has the best rep for communications as far as i've heard.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Originally posted by olay
out of curiousity, what WERE the cut offs???? i compared the UAC guide to the newspaper and the cut offs were different. odd, i thought. how are u liking the course? what subjects are u taking?
http://www.uac.edu.au/pdf/2004_uai_coffs_hecs_m.pdf

BA Comm (Social Inquiry) - 90.35
BA Comm (Social Inquiry)/B Laws - 97.55
BA Comm (Social Inquiry)/Int Stds - 94.95

re: Subjects- everyone in first semester does the same subjects with the exception of an introductory subject on their communications major
i.e
i am doing three core subjects - Contemporary Cultures 1, Power & Change in Australia, Communication & Information Environments - which everyone does, journalism students, media arts and production students, etc. everyone does it if you do communications. then i also do a subject called Introduction to Social Inquiry- if you were doing Journalism it would be Introduction to Journalism etc etc.

the work is ok but A LOT harder than i expected, and a lot more of it than i anticipated. there's NO exams so there are a lot of written hand-in assessments and tutorial presentations and stuff.

olay

HSC
:D :D :D *PRAYS* GARGH I WANT TO GET IN SO BADLY!!!!! thanks for the cut offs. not as high as i calculated. do you reckon they'll go up next yr? i love the idea of no exams. :) i like hand in assessments n such. :) what sorta things are u doing in those subjects?

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
well everyone thought that the cut-offs would go up heaps this year, but instead they went down for EVERYTHING. so i dont know- my guess is they'd probably stay around the same.

we do a lot of tutorial presentations, where you do the readings before the tutorial for that week's lecture, then direct the class discussion, pose questions and stuff. we also have a few essays, a book review exercise, stuff like that. basically all written things!

iH

Oldie
HSC
i don't do social inquiry or international studies...but just thought i'd butt in and say...

communications people are really nice too. They're mostly very friendly, introduce themselves in lectures and are generally really laid back crazy friendly people - it's quite cool. i haven't met as many as i'd like to but those i have have been pretty cool.

HSC
Ha, this degree sounds sort of like an international course of mystery... yeah, sorry about the lameness of that, but ihad to say it.

Im also in the class of 2004, and this course, or just social inquiry on its own sound interesting, but i cant get a straight answer form anyone about what it involves.

Can someone help a poor, rudderless, procrastinating soul?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Building 3- Bon Marche... the lectures are usually in Building 4 or Building 6.... all of those buildings are nicer than the tower....

Jinglebell

HSC
Albert K. Holic said:
Im also in the class of 2004, and this course, or just social inquiry on its own sound interesting, but i cant get a straight answer form anyone about what it involves.

Can someone help a poor, rudderless, procrastinating soul?
Well, what's actually involved in Social Inquiry has turned into something of a running joke among most of our class I think...I think we've finally figured out that there is no straight answer, it's just vague and airy-fairy (in first year at least). That said, I'm fairly optimistic about 2nd/3rd year subjects which may actually cover the content I'm interested in.

If you're looking to finish a degree with some sort of feeling that you're qualified for a real-world job, I'd probably recommend combining with law, or even int. studies...I do straight SI, and right now when people ask what I'm actually going to *do* with the degree, my standard response is "go back to uni and do something that'll get me a job". Of course that's a bit of an exaggeration, and I'm not trying to discourage anyone in any way, but a lot of people are really uncomfortable with the realisation that they've signed up for three years of study that seems to best qualify them to be professional students:)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Jinglebell said:
...but a lot of people are really uncomfortable with the realisation that they've signed up for three years of study that seems to best qualify them to be professional students:)
two words:

business. law.

ben_au69

HSC
hey i was just wondering about how many hours per week are involved in public communications?

and i heard somewhere that at uts access can get u up to 10 UAI instead of the usual 7 marks?
cos its humantities or something? is this true?

and finally, this isnt racist or anything but what's the predominant race there?

cheers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)