B Teaching/B Arts - computing must have other subject (1 Viewer)

HSC
I went to the info day at strathfield today and enrolled. From what I gathered (prior to today) I thought computing would be my major, technology my 2nd subject and then a non-teaching subject minor which was fine because I wanted to do communication.

The guy there said that now computing students must have another subject (overtaking the non-teaching area units) and that computing is sort of technology but majoring in computing. Now I dont know what subject im going to pick. Im thinking either geography or english.

English I really enjoyed at school and went well at it but think it will be a waste because most english teachers are teachers who majored in english and I doubt 4 units is really sufficient to be great at teaching english. Geography I feel is probably a better option in terms of it being needed and more suitable to my major but I dont like it as much as english.

Any advice or anyone else in the same situation?

Cass05

HSC
Go with what you like and know you are good at... you will enjoy it more and chances are you will do better at it.

SweetSeasons

HSC
Lil Miss Karly said:
I went to the info day at strathfield today and enrolled. From what I gathered (prior to today) I thought computing would be my major, technology my 2nd subject and then a non-teaching subject minor which was fine because I wanted to do communication.

The guy there said that now computing students must have another subject (overtaking the non-teaching area units) and that computing is sort of technology but majoring in computing. Now I dont know what subject im going to pick. Im thinking either geography or english.

English I really enjoyed at school and went well at it but think it will be a waste because most english teachers are teachers who majored in english and I doubt 4 units is really sufficient to be great at teaching english. Geography I feel is probably a better option in terms of it being needed and more suitable to my major but I dont like it as much as english.

Any advice or anyone else in the same situation?

Yeah I have to do computers as my 2nd teaching subject.. I pretty much suck at computers. I can use them.. but all the other info about them blows my mind. Do English if you enjoy it more.. You wont be a great teacher in geography if you don't enjoy it. It wont be like you'll be teaching yr 11 and 12 english.. if you end up at a school that has a shortage of english teachers u'll prolly end up teaching like a yr 7 english class.. or something like that.

HSC
Its literature studies though (is that much different from english in senior years?). And now im thinking Visual Arts because it sort of merges the computing and technology but im also not that passionate about it. Im really indecisive (like you couldnt tell already hehe) and this is worrying me.

SweetSeasons apart from Tech and comp what else are you doing for the remaining 4 units?

SweetSeasons

HSC
I'm doing

Contexts for learning and developmeant
Design Principles
Design Issues in Timber
Computing systems

Understanding Learning
Science for Technologists
Communication Systems
Designing with textiles

I'm a technolgy major but.. I have to do those units

HSC
Oh ok. See for computing majors we dont have those remaining units to pick from, you know that 4th unit in each semester after you've chosen the other 3.

SweetSeasons

HSC
yeah... I spose you could do art.. it would give you that extra edge in computers.
or are you allowd to teach health subjects??

Man I'd love to teach wood work and pe and bio lol..

That's my dream job, to be able to teach those three subjects. I think I'll get involved heaps with school sport and I have a science back ground so maybe they'll let me teach junior science

if i didn't have to do computers I'd be doing health or art units

what units are u doing

Last edited:
HSC
Contexts for learning and developmeant
Design Principles
Computing Systems
Introduction to Literature (provided I choose english)

Understanding Learning
Communication Systems
Designing with textiles
Aust Literature: Introduction (provided I choose english)

see where english is you have another tech unit whereas computing doesnt unfortunately.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)