B Social Sciences and its majors (1 Viewer)

nick1689

HSC
Hey guys, first time poster here, I was just wondering for a B Social Sciences is two majors a maximum? Or can you take more than two? With the majors, should you do majors that compliment each other? Because I was thinking of doing government and international relations from social sciences and ancient history from humanities, and you can see they dont really match each other...

Also, who here is doing a B Social Sciences and are enjoying it? What are the good things about the degree? What are your career aspirations with this bachelor?

Whoa, alot of questions - didnt even realise. Well hope ya'll can help!

Thanks

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Given the structure of the degree, with the large number of core units, it'd probably be difficult to fit in a third major. It might just be possible, but it'd require very careful planning and the commencement of senior units in your first year.

KarmaKitten

HSC
nick1689 said:
Hey guys, first time poster here, I was just wondering for a B Social Sciences is two majors a maximum? Or can you take more than two? With the majors, should you do majors that compliment each other? Because I was thinking of doing government and international relations from social sciences and ancient history from humanities, and you can see they dont really match each other...

Also, who here is doing a B Social Sciences and are enjoying it? What are the good things about the degree? What are your career aspirations with this bachelor?

Whoa, alot of questions - didnt even realise. Well hope ya'll can help!

Thanks
Well your majors don't have to 'match', i will be majoring in government and in history because i find both interesting. I like the diversity of the two and I find that a lot of the time, both seem to compliment each other very well.

And like Triangulum said, you would really have to plan your degree very well in order to do 3 majors.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
take an extra year

nick1689

HSC
Ohk thanks guys.

When you say careful planning, what kind of planning do you mean? Im not to sure with figuring out what units to do and all that jazz..

What kind of jobs are people aiming for with this degree, and what majors are they doing? Also, does anybody do Islam and Middle Eastern Studies? How is it?

Thanks

KarmaKitten

HSC
Basically structuring out your degree so you know all the subjects that are required, how many subjects you're allowed to do outside of your faculty, etc, all the little details that are required for you to walk away with a degree in a few years.

Wait till after you've finally enrolled into a course and then buy the handbook or download the handbook right now from the website, and that should explain to you in detail,

nick1689

HSC
Question is a bit off this topic, but I thought it would be better to ask here than to make another thread:

If im hoping to get into some sort of government job, and I got into B Social Sciences, should I try and transfer into B Economic and Social Sciences becasue itll be better for my hopeful future career? Or would B Social Sciences be fine?

Thanks

bustinjustin

HSC
nick1689 said:
Question is a bit off this topic, but I thought it would be better to ask here than to make another thread:

If im hoping to get into some sort of government job, and I got into B Social Sciences, should I try and transfer into B Economic and Social Sciences becasue itll be better for my hopeful future career? Or would B Social Sciences be fine?

Thanks
only difference it would make is if you want employers to see that you've studied some sort of 'economics' in your degree, and you think it'll be advantage. Generally, it will be, but you can still study political economy in B. Soc. Sci, maybe economics too, not sure if it has enough room for it.

Otherwise, what you study and what marks you get will matter more. It really boils down to what degree title you want on your diploma (even the academics tell you that at the open day).

Do B. Soc. Sci if you want to do
-statistics
- a compulsory 'humanities' major (ie. english, languages, history, philosophy, etc)
- a 4th year internship

Do B. Eco Soc Sci if you want to
- focus on 'hard' social sciences: government, political economy
- &/or economics, industrial relations/human resource managment

Last edited:

nick1689

HSC
Ohk thanks justin. With transfering to B Economics and Social Sciences, will I not be able to do that untill my second year in uni? And, would i have to repeat everything, or would i just have to do the units i wanna do in B Economics and Social Sciences in B Social Sciences so it end ups being a continuation?

How useful would that internship be career wise?

Thanks

bustinjustin

HSC
nick1689 said:
Ohk thanks justin. With transfering to B Economics and Social Sciences, will I not be able to do that untill my second year in uni? And, would i have to repeat everything, or would i just have to do the units i wanna do in B Economics and Social Sciences in B Social Sciences so it end ups being a continuation?

How useful would that internship be career wise?

Thanks
You can transfer after your first year through the UAC. I imagine you wouldn't have to 'repeat anything' (i.e. you'd still be able to graduate in 3 years for the normal pass degree), you should be able to get credit for all your first year units.

Commuter

HSC
I'm doing the B.Soc.Sci at Usyd at the moment (going into 3rd year).

It can be heavy going if you're somewhat more of an "arts" student, but if statistics and Social Inquiry Methods (basically how to run a poll or survey) doesn't daunt you - then you should go for it.

It is more substantial than an Arts or Liberal Studies degree, because it goes for four years, includes an internship/research paper, and has a set of core units that are specific to the degree and give an excellent grounding in the development of modern academia (the birth of the university, the philosophy behind society and the study of, the great thinkers of the social sciences).

The social sciences as one subject is really a whole other world that not too many people in the general public know to exist. It has its pecularities, but is fascinating (I think).

If you have an interest in an arts subject, as well as something like government & international relations - then it's the course for you.
The internship, and the pracical grounding in methods of analysis and study translate into a very employable graduate.

Just my two cents.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)