B.science (1 Viewer)

JAZZAY

HSC
I quite enjoy the science subjects so im planning on doing science at uni next year. However im not a very big fan of mathematics which is compulsory in the degree. For those who do science degrees at uni would you say that maths is a fairly major component of the degree and is the level of maths involved very hard (i only did 2unit advanced maths for the HSC but all the sciences).

Thnx in advance...

Collin

HSC
N/A
Well for the BSc degree at USYD, you're required to undertake 12cp of 1st year mathematics. There are three levels of difficulty generally: Life Sciences (for the HSC 2uniters, i.e yourself), the normal level and the advanced level. The advanced level subjects are practically just like the normal level ones, except with more content and high difficulty. I'd recommend you have a sound knowledge of math, especially if you wish to do any mechanical or physics subjects. For example, in a typical physics subject, you may encounter concepts in the Waves topic which may require knowledge of the mathematical equations of simple harmonic motion, something you learn in either the normal level math subjects or the 3 unit HSC.

Again, it depends on which field of science you're into.. ?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I'm doing BSc (Newcastle) and we don't have any compulsory subjects, so if you wish you don't have to touch maths (yay!!)
As for the other subjects, some recommend having done hsc maths (eg bio) but having only done general, I found it to be more than do-able.

doe

HSC
N/A
at macuni it depends on what science you do ... maths is different at uni, its a lot more interesting imo. i did very poorly at hsc maths (did 2 unit average level and got maybe 55?) i ended up getting distinctions in my first and second year maths units (once i caught up with all the stuff i shoulve learnt in highschool!)

at macuni you can get away with doing only 2 or 3 maths units for a computing degree (i did 4) tell me what sciences your thinking about and ill see. id be surprised if for most sciences youd have to do more that 4 maths subjects.

its harder, but more interesting, mayhap challenging is a good word. high school maths was boring with endless endless repitition, yick. with some hard work im pretty sure anyone smart enough to get into uni can do it. if you let me know what fields your interested in ill check for you.

[edit] these are the available streams at mq http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/degree.php?edition=2004&id=21076

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
At unsw b science, you are not required to do maths at all. But you won't be able to major in the area where maths is required. for example physics, oceanography..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)