B Science/B Advanced Science (1 Viewer)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
What's the difference between B Science and B Advanced Science? besides the cut-offs?

The second question is, why isn't it possible to have any combination of double degrees? and ONLY a certain of double degrees together? For example (UNSW)
you can apply for B Science/B Laws as a double degree.
then why can't they have B Medical Science/B Laws???

Thanks everyone

Antisocial

If you have the 2004 UAC Guide, see PG 198 for B Science and PG 200 for B Science (Advanced). :)

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
I'm suddenly having a case of dejavu; I swear I've seen a thread exactly like this before *ponders*

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
b Science (Advanced) is more researched based (that's what i heard and read) and it leads directly to an honours year where as b Science doesn't... apparently it is consider to be more superior than engineering - my experience from Expo... the only draw-back of b Science (Advanced) is that many study plans are very constricted, apparently you "might" be able to combine it with b Art or b Social Science (they haven't worked it out when I last contacted UNSW).. they are also trying to work out b Science (Advanced)/ b Commerce for some study plans..

kaseita

they used to have b comm/b sci (adv), but then they pulled the program

I know cause I was planning to do it :p.

I don't know what they're doing, so would be nice if they do manage to work it out eventually.

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
is anyone doing b Science (Advanced) @ UNSW right now? what's it like? hehee.. maybe i shouldn't be be asking this 'cause i put it as my first preference.. but but.. *filled with curiosity* what's it like? what's it like? :)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
So why can't you have any combination of double degrees??

SoFTuaRiaL

Originally posted by Survivor39
So why can't you have any combination of double degrees??
it depends mainly of the flexibility of the program to be woven with another ... med sci prolly cant be "taken apart" ... u have to do all the subjects sequentially .... its as good as finishing the med sci, and then starting a new degree .... that MAY be the reason, i'm not sure

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
it is probably because some study plans are not compatible with others.. also.. according to what i have learnt, faculties have to agree with each other and work out the possilbe combined degrees together before they say certain combined degrees are available (experience from Expo :))

what is it that you wanted to do anyway?

Daedalus

Originally posted by mitochondria
b Science (Advanced) is more researched based (that's what i heard and read) and it leads directly to an honours year where as b Science doesn't... apparently it is consider to be more superior than engineering - my experience from Expo... the only draw-back of b Science (Advanced) is that many study plans are very constricted, apparently you "might" be able to combine it with b Art or b Social Science (they haven't worked it out when I last contacted UNSW).. they are also trying to work out b Science (Advanced)/ b Commerce for some study plans..
what do u mean by bscience is superior to engineering. arent teh ydifferent, and lead to different professions?

BuBBleZ :)

hang on y is there no adv sci / comm?? ohh mannn i thort that was what i was applying for...hmm oh wellz...not that m gonna get in .....

e8b313

HSC
what do u mean by bscience is superior to engineering. arent teh ydifferent, and lead to different professions?
Have a look at Advanced Science at Macquarie (Chemmistry, Maths or Biology). Very flexible, small (<10/annum) and personal. UAI is about 98 and has lots of research experience, even from first year.

lou071

HSC
N/A
What's the difference between B Science and B Advanced Science? besides the cut-offs?

The second question is, why isn't it possible to have any combination of double degrees? and ONLY a certain of double degrees together? For example (UNSW)
you can apply for B Science/B Laws as a double degree.
then why can't they have B Medical Science/B Laws???

Thanks everyone
i think the difference is that adv science goes more in depth.

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
Hahhahahaahah Survivor is now doing a PhD guys... a 2003 thread was bumped. It's kind of cute.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
i think the difference is that adv science goes more in depth.
hahaha thanks for the help! I think you're just 6 years too late! Advanced science doesn't go in more depth, it's just a marketing gimmick to get people in. There is no difference between the two except Advanced Sciecne students have to do one or two compulsory Life Science courses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)