B Science (advanced) (1 Viewer)

HSC
im going to be doin this course this year
and i was just wondering how many hours a week should i be expecting to spend in lectures and tutes, etc?

thanks

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Depending on what subjects you choose, expect at least 20 hours. Some people who take lab intensive subjects go for almost 30 hours.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Trebla said:
Depending on what subjects you choose, expect at least 20 hours. Some people who take lab intensive subjects go for almost 30 hours.
Agreed. Science subjects usually consist of lectures, tutorials and long lab classes. So science students are pretty busy around 25 hours per week, more or less.

HSC
All right thanks everybody for your help
someone told me it was a 40 hour week
so this is much better to hear =]​

HSC
Also when picking my subjects in advanced science, it says i should pick 24 advanced subjects. but the only subjects whose prerequisites apply to me are the math ones.
so what im wondering is: because im doing an advanced course, am i allowed to do these advanced subjects?

thanks

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Also when picking my subjects in advanced science, it says i should pick 24 advanced subjects. but the only subjects whose prerequisites apply to me are the math ones.
so what im wondering is: because im doing an advanced course, am i allowed to do these advanced subjects?

thanks
Yes, since you are taking the advanced degree you have the freedom to choose which units you want to take at advanced level at your own discretion. As a minimum you should take half of your units at advanced level and ensure you maintain at least a credit average. In first year you have to take for each semester:

2 Math units (3 credit points each)
2 Science units (6 credit points each)
1 Elective unit (6 credit points) this can be anything from other faculties or just another science unit

anonomis

HSC

thanks
taco im doing the same course as u and i spoke to someone from the uni and they said there is no requirement for advanced units in the first year so u can take as little or as many as u like while keeping in line with the degrees requirements.
im only doing my chemistry subs at the advanced level coz i didnt do 4u math :p

HSC
alright thank you heap both of you
i guess im going to do chem and maths at the advanced levels then =]

lou071

HSC
N/A
for science advanced, i know the assumed knowledge subjects are maths ext 1, physics and chemistry.;
but from your experience, do you think completing maths ext 2 will help you a lot?

frogbutt

Ugliest Member
HSC
I also am starting this year.

How do I know what subjects to choose? I don't know what I want to major in.
What's going to happen on enrolment day - am I supposed to know what points study I'm doing and everything? PLEASe HELP :(

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I also am starting this year.

How do I know what subjects to choose? I don't know what I want to major in.
What's going to happen on enrolment day - am I supposed to know what points study I'm doing and everything? PLEASe HELP :(
You should know what first year units you want to take by enrolment day. You have four compulsory MATH units (3 credit pts each i.e. "half units" as a unit is generally worth 6 credit pts) over both semesters and you have 6 spaces to fill up with units of study (2 of those can come from other faculties).
Read the handbook (available online and in hard copy) to see if you satisfy any prerequisites (if any) for the unit you want to enrol in. The handbook should be available to access on enrolment day as well.
So for example a possible combination can be (NB: 19XX denotes advanced units):

Semester 1:
MATH1901
MATH1902
CHEM1001
PHYS1901
BIOL1001

Semester 2:
MATH1903
MATH1905
CHEM1002
PHYS1902
BIOL1002

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)