B Psych @ UNSW / USYD!? which one is better? (1 Viewer)

jessamine

HSC
hey, im just about to make a last minute change in my preferences.

i want to do psychology, but im not sure which uni is better for it. UNSW or USYD. The uai cut offs are quite similar, but ive been hearing things like, its easier to get honours at unsw than at usyd. i want to do honours.

what are the differences in the unis? what does each uni emphasize more on? which is more practical? etc. help me make my choice please.

what should i be basing my decision on? the campus? how easy it is to get honours? the course outline??

phrred

HSC
there have been many posts on this issue if u do a search.
yes unsw is easier to get into honours; u need a Cr ave i think as opposed to a D ave at syd
the course is apparently better at unsw because it is more practical and less old school

Lain

HSC
In 2005, I asked an Info Day advisor at USYD (or was it UNSW) and she said.. well I can’t remember exactly but something like.. in the past UNSW had a more scientific approach but the point is that now they are pretty much the same in terms of the psychology.

If you are accepted for Bachelor of Psychology, then you’ve already secured an honours place (provided you don’t fail miserably in your courses). I.e. the four-year B Psych program includes an honours year.

Base your decision on which campus you prefer. Not just the appearance, unless it’s really important to you. Consider travels times, travel costs, tuition fees, lecture halls and classrooms, the psychology buildings, food outlets, people, program structure (i.e. exactly which courses you’re supposed to do each semester).

I don’t think any of those differ significantly (except maybe the travel times and costs, and people). Bottom line: you can choose based on first impressions or intuition, and in the end you’ll still end up with a degree and (hopefully) years of enjoyable experience.

Initially I was lured by USYD's pretty landscapes but I then I liked the more modern look of UNSW better. And I just had better Open Day experiences there. So now at UNSW I don't wish I had chosen USYD, but I wouldn't wish I had chosen UNSW if I went to USYD either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)