B Medical Radiation Physics (1 Viewer)

pman

Banned
HSC
Does anybody do/ Has anybody done this course,
if so, what sorts of workloads could I expect and howe many days per week would I be at Uni

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
I haven't done it, but my flatmate is currently in her 3rd year of the course.
The workload is rather large, with classes generally 5 days per week and many small (and large) assignments throughout the semester.

StandOff

Reidy
HSC
Hey.
Can someone confirm if this course is definitely at UOW? I didnt know it existed, and a mate is thinking of going to Charles Sturt, primarily because he didnt think UOW had a medical radiation course.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Hey.
Can someone confirm if this course is definitely at UOW? I didnt know it existed, and a mate is thinking of going to Charles Sturt, primarily because he didnt think UOW had a medical radiation course.
As I said above, I live someone who is currently doing the degree.

UoW has a Centre for Medical Radiation Physics currently located within the Faculty of Engineering.
Medical Radiation Physics - Physics @ UOW
The university offers both a Bachelor of Medical and Radiation Physics Bachelor of Medical and Radiation Physics - 2009 Course Handbook @ UOW and a Bachelor of Medical and Radiation Physics Advanced Bachelor of Medical and Radiation Physics Advanced (Honours) - 2009 Course Handbook @ UOW. This is pretty easy to find stuff, although I guess if your friend just looked in the Faculty of Science and not the Faculty of Engineering you could miss it.

Ninga

HSC
Hey.
I haven't been on here in years and this threads pretty old, but there's a little misinformation here. Medical radiation degrees and "medical and radiation physics" are two different courses. I did one of these, a while back :)

Medical radiation science is for becoming a radiographer or radiation therapist or the nuclear medicine therapist (I think?). I believe those courses are offered at Usyd and Newcastle Uni, not sure about Charles Sturt. These people basically interact with the patient and use the required technology - x-ray machines, linear accelerators, administer isotopes, etc to treat/diagnose patients.

Medical and Radiation Physics degrees can be used in the hospital setting to become medical physicists in the hospitals, with basically a physics type role - ie not much patient interaction, more machine/radiation safety/other physics type stuff. They generally ensure that the equipment works as specified, to tolerances and is calibrated correctly so that the patients, when treated, recieve the correct radiation dose, or have their images taken correctly, or have the correct amount of radioisotope administered Otherwise most of the other grads go into further research degrees and into research positions...

Just some info in case anyone ever looks at this thread. Hope it helps. Good luck :)

pman

Banned
HSC
TY for this, I had kinda let the thread lip cos I never logged on after anyone posted and it was still in the subscribed bit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)