B Media Timetable- Help! (1 Viewer)

nicole

Hey guys,
I really need some advice. Im trying to put together my timetable for B Media in writing but i seem to be getting no where. There is only 3 core 100 level units, worth 9 credit points, and only one of them is in the first semester. Does that mean i just make up the rest of my credit points with other units ( liberal studies?) What goes well with media? I was thinking english, politics, sociology? Sorry if i havent used the right terminology- im still getting my head around all this uni stuff! Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Leanne

HSC
i soo no wat u mean about getting ur head around it!!

i am doing bachelor of creative arts- creative writing....and i'm doing stuff in ARTS, MEDIA, ENGLISH, and CULTURAL STUDIES....cos they're all quite similar...

yes- just make up the rest of ur credit points wiv other stuff- cos thats wat i did!! hopefully i'm right!!

good luck!

muli

yeh nic i'm doing the B media in vis production and I know what you're on about. The rest of your units are the optional ones that don't necessarily have to be media related.

Personally, i'm taking SOC175 & SOC180, as well as MUS100, just cause I wanna do some 200/300 level sociology & music courses. But yeh, just pick something fun, or units that are prerequisites to courses you want to do next year. Who knows, mabye you're a natural born speaker of German?

nicole

Thanks for ur help Leanne and Muli. Unfortunately Im not a natural born speaker of german so i guess i'll have to choose something else!
Muli i might see u around, i think some of our core units are the same. Im also wanting to do sociology, some of that looks really interesting. How many days are you at uni? In second semester im only there three days with Mas 105, Cul100 and Soc 180.
At the moment ive got Mas 104, Eng 120, Phil 132 and Soc175 spread over the whole five days in first semester- so dont wanna do that but they're the courses i want to do! I guess i could try and do some evening classes but does that mean i'll be with mostly matured aged students? Any suggestions?

Last edited:

muli

Good choice with doin SOC180, there's a 200 level SOC class called 'Sociology of the Media' or somethin similar, which i reckon ties in great with our degree.

I'm only at uni 3 days each semester, I'll have to grab a look at your second semester proposed timetable, we could well be overlapping our classes.

You're probably right bout the evening classes, it'd mainly be mature age, but on that same note, you're not gonna have much time to look for work if ur at uni 5 days. You could always leave one of the first semester courses out and clear some time up that way, we only need to do 68 credit points over the 3 years, so you'd get away doing 18 first year and 25 next 2.

Last edited:

nicole

Yeh i think im going to have to drop one of those units, i cant see myself going in some days for just an hour lecture. Muli, with sociology, do you think its important to do Soc 175, which seems to be a good introduction, or could i just get away with doing Soc 180 in semester 2? I dont want to feel like im behind if i start doing soc in semester 2 when others have prob already done one unit.

muli

You know to be totally honest, you bringing up this point made me go back and look at the undergraduate handbook and ask myself "Why the heck am I doin SOC175?".

Short answer, yes you would get away just doing SOC180, they're both designed to be introductions to the subject area and will give you a good basis.

I originally chose SOC175 because it looked at issues closer to home, such as the changing structure of families etc. However the more I look at it, the more I see the classroom turning into massive debates over Government issues, which I have nothing against, just chose not to get involved in.

Anyway, I should be thanking you now! I'm gonna go pick a different unit!

Leanne

HSC
well i'm doing SOC175 in 1st semseter....mainly cos it fit my timetable well....only going to uni 3 days...also i covered a lot of the same stuff in community and family studies in yr 11 and 12- so i'll already have a lot of the information....i'm doing soc180 in second semester tho.....

Muli- i've fixed me timetable so i think i'm ok now-

1st semester- 2nd semester-
ARTS100 ARTS105
CUL101 ARTS200
ENG120 SOC180
CUL175 ENGL106

muli

That's what I love about these 2 contact hour subjects, you can fit everything into 3 days. I picked PHIL137 to replace SOC175, they reckon the critical thinking skills are relevant to any course (I just wanna sound smarter than I really am :p)

But yeh, that timetable will work Lee (cept I think u meant SOC175, not CUL175)

nicole

Yeh i see wat u mean leanne, i'd be doing SOC 175 if it fitted well into my timetable too but ive got to get a full day off somehow.

Glad i could help u Muli after u helping me! I think i'm just going to do sociology in second semester- we can both start out together in Soc 180! Only doing 9cps per semester seems so little but i guess we'll have to do 14 from next yr if we're gonna be able to have the minimum 38 at 200 level and 18 at 300 level. (?)

Some of the philosophy units sound really interesting. Critical thinking sounds good, you could use those skills within heaps of subjects! I just wanna do phil132 to learn all the theory on morality, happiness and society. I really hope i like it, and its not too hard coz if it wasnt for that unit i'd only be at uni about 2 and a half days!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)