B International Studies question (1 Viewer)

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
Okay so I missed the cutoff of B InSt by 0.7 (cut-off is 94.20, got 93.50, why the hell did it have to rise by 1.20 this year? :(). And I'm pretty sure that I won't get an offer in any of the later rounds.

Instead I'm taking a double degree of B Science (Adv) and either Arts or Social Sciences.
I'm looking to mock the International Studies course completely so that I could apply to get a transfer at the end of the year and not be behind that much.

Should I take B Science (Adv)/B Arts or B Science(Adv)/B Social Sciences?

Last edited:

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
Would you mind giving me a bit of an explanation? I thought Arts too, but at info day they kept associating International Studies with Social Sciences (the stand was called "Social Sciences and International Studies") but I remember speaking to a guy behind the desk about my options if I don't get in but I completely forgot what he said (his accent was annoying the crap out of me and that's all I could think about).

karoooh

HSC
I'd pick Arts cos you have a larger variety of courses to choose from. If you wanted to transfer to Int. Stud. later on, you could have the subjects from Arts credited toward Int. Stud.; languages, history, politics etc.

You could do the same in Social Science, but there aren't as many subjects compared to Arts; you can't do languages or one/a couple of the core subjects for IS if you do Social Science.

Arts: http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2008/3400.html

Social Science: http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2008/3420.html

There might be more to it, but that's as much as you'll get out of me right about now.

accolade

HSC
For this course there is an international business stream, is it good, does it have potential? I don't know whether to choose this or the other streams because i donno if there are any jobs that would recognise the other streams more than international business.

BTW did anyone here get accepted into this course?

Last edited:

Miliux

Livin' in Amsterdam
HSC
accolade said:
For this course there is an international business stream, is it good, does it have potential? I don't know whether to choose this or the other streams because i donno if there are any jobs that would recognise the other streams more than international business.

BTW did anyone here get accepted into this course?
I'm a 4th year B.IS. I can help you with that.

Well, International Business Stream is a lot different to other stream because it is managed by Faculty of Business, not Faculty of Arts. You will undergo studies related to international marketing and accounting. There are similarities with other stream such as compulsory 1 year exchange overseas, compulsory language and it's a 4 year degree.

Miliux

Livin' in Amsterdam
HSC
Martyno1 said:
I'm looking to mock the International Studies course completely so that I could apply to get a transfer at the end of the year and not be behind that much.
Good luck trying to do that. There is a quota of about 100-150 students in B.IS and it always gets filled. I won't tell you about why it's 100 (because there are big incentives involved). The only time you can get in is when a student from B.IS drops out because he/she failed two courses or cannot afford to go on compulsory exchange.

I only know two students from my level who dropped back in the 2nd year.

accolade

HSC
thx miliux :wave: .
but i have more questions!!
what stream do you think is enjoyable and academically creditable? (your personal opinion)

and say if i chose a stream which i didn't like, is it possible to switch streams like in a few weeks of starting the crouse because im not sure if i chose the right one......(i chose international business but i think global studies and asian studies sound fun but i was willing to go with international business.)

PS.i looked at the other threads u replied in and was about to message u but didnt know u were active cuz ur last logon was AGES ago!!

purpleshirt

HSC
that sucks about not making the cut-off.
i got into that course with 93.8 so you must've been pretty close.
if they're giving it to people under the cut-off maybe you will get one in late round?

Miliux

Livin' in Amsterdam
HSC
accolade said:
thx miliux :wave: .
but i have more questions!!
what stream do you think is enjoyable and academically creditable? (your personal opinion)

and say if i chose a stream which i didn't like, is it possible to switch streams like in a few weeks of starting the crouse because im not sure if i chose the right one......(i chose international business but i think global studies and asian studies sound fun but i was willing to go with international business.)

PS.i looked at the other threads u replied in and was about to message u but didnt know u were active cuz ur last logon was AGES ago!!
For B.IS, you have to contemplate on what your job prospects you prefer. BIS (Global) focuses more on global international relations where as BIS (Int.Bus) focuses on global business and marketing.

You also have to figure out where you want to do exchange program for a year. If it's Asian studies, then just Asia. If it's Global, then anywhere. If it's Business then any university which accepts business students.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)