B Engineering / Project Management? (1 Viewer)

addoil

HSC
I'm considering Eng and heard that there's this new degree @ USYD that combines it with BPM (5yrs)..

Do you guys think the double degree is worth it? Does it really mean you have higher job prospects and you practically have a big advantage in being promoted to a management position? .. Because I think that it's generally more efficient to combine PM with Eng than getting a B PM degree by itself since that would be very broad.

Oh and how would you compare this to the B Eng/B Comm @ UNSW?

Any opinions/advice? It'd be good to hear from current students.. even though it was only introduced this year :\

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
UNSW > USYD for Engnineering. I'm not sure if the project management side of the degree is tailored to engineering, but if it isnt (i'd presume so) it would be no different to doing combined eng and commerce/business - unless you choose to major in something random for the commerce side ofcourse. You wouldn't want to get a seperate degree in commerce or project management etc. a lot of engineers who are on track to getting management positions end up doing MBAs and from what i understand your employer often pays or subsidises that. That is something to do after you have an absolute minimum of 5 years experience. I can personally see myself eventually getting an MBA anyway.

Just having a project management, commerce or business degree isn't going to magically open up your job prospects but it could give you an edge over competitors for some jobs. Either way it's just an extra 1 year on top of the normal degree, gives you bit of variety in subjects and pads up your gpa since commerce subjects are easier than engineering.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
In Civil Engineering at UNSW you can major in construction management which is essentially project management with a strong emphasis on construction.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)