B Computer Science enroll in units help/Math 130/135 (1 Viewer)

dolbinau

HSC
So my brother decided to enroll at Macquarie very late (Today), for his offer of B Computer Science.

But beside eStudent fucking up every second, he is having issues with the maths units.

Program of Study - 2009 Course Handbook - Macquarie University

It appears MATH135 is compulsory for this degree but he does not meet the pre-req. So I assumed he just had to do MATH130 in the first semester too but it still won't work when I try and enroll them in both. Does he need to pass MATH130 first?

If so, does this mean he'd need to complete MATH130 in the first semester, then take the evening classes of MATH135 in the second semester? (Since it's not offered D2 I think).

Guh. Thanks.

dolbinau

HSC
Just tried this won't even work since MATH136 needs a pass of MATH135 first.

So basically, how can I enroll in the computer science degree with only having done General Maths?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Numeracy Centre

I presume he has to do a Bridging course in Maths, so I'd call the Maths department on this for further clarification :)

dolbinau

HSC
Ok thanks, also though, is it possible to do compuslory 100 level units (namely MATH136) in his second year and still graduate fine etc..?

From what I've read, I don't know if a bridging course would be enough to get him straigh tinto MATH135 (since it is described as for MATH130 anyway on the Numeracy Centre website).

HSC
Ok thanks, also though, is it possible to do compuslory 100 level units (namely MATH136) in his second year and still graduate fine etc..?

From what I've read, I don't know if a bridging course would be enough to get him straigh tinto MATH135 (since it is described as for MATH130 anyway on the Numeracy Centre website).
I have had friends that are currently doing a Bachelor of Computer Science.
His degree will probably take longer to do. However he WILL have to do Math130 FIRST and a Pass before being allowed to enrol in Math135 and then get a Pass before enrolling in Math136.

russs

yeeeee
HSC
Please note that MATH135 is quite difficult.

I did the course 1st semester last year and I barely scraped a pass. I qualified for the course with a 2U Band 4, but that is barely there.

Odyssey2001

HSC
However he WILL have to do Math130 FIRST and a Pass before being allowed to enrol in Math135 and then get a Pass before enrolling in Math136.
That's right I'd also like to add that a PC (Conceded Pass) in MATH130 can't get you into MATH135 you need to P or they'll have to do it again. (Just thought I'd add it because some people think that a PC is enough to get through but its not)

whitemoo

HSC
dont think it would be possible to graduate on time if you cant do 135/136 in first year. if your lucky and get maths classes in summer / winter hols then you might finnish on time.

I just completed math130 and nearly managed a credit. was going to do 135, for cryptography, but the talk is that it is hard as.

Math 130 should be easy for him as long as he listens and doesent get a BS math tutor. Go to as many tut's as possible to find the right tutor as the ones i got (i failed it first time and passed it second) where completely shite. Like they didnt explain the working out enough for me to understand, completely i had to go to two tut's just to understand what was being taught. plus elena the lec was hard to understand.

Goodluck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)