B Commerce without Economics? (1 Viewer)

icecoffee

HSC
I'm thinking about doing commerce/accounting for uni but I didn't do economics as a hsc course nor have i done any other commerce related subject in high school. So my question is, will i be disadvantaged and if so, by how much? And will it make it much harder to cope?

My subjects were: Mathematics, Mathematics Ext 1, English Advanced, English Ext 1, Physics, Chemistry and 1 unit SOR.
UAI: 98.5

icecoffee

HSC
Thank you very much for your input!

I have another question though; will it be a fast-paced course in that they skim over the high school basics? For example, how to analyse a business report?

icecoffee

HSC
Thanks again! It just worries me that i might be stuck in a course where i'll be at a complete loss.

Commerce is just one of the many options that i'm thinking about at the moment. Honestly, people ask me what i'm interested in and i struggle to answer; i can't see myself at any particular job in the future. So i figure, what am i relatively good at and what might be a good career for me?

Majors? uhh maybe marketing. I'm not even sure how many majors i'm suppose to choose. The whole process of university confuses me.

icecoffee

HSC
Wow, that was seriously very helpful and encouraging. I am definitely going to the info days, hopefully to gain some more insight and finally make a decision.
I am a very indecisive person and so your idea of a double degree is more than helpful! I never really considered that option, but having a degree to fall back on is a very appealing idea.
And just out of curiosity, are you an accountant now and do you enjoy it?

Huy

HSC
N/A
You will be fine. You're not severely disadvantaged. Just do the work and stay on top of it all. It's only some algebra anyway for Micro/Macro. And reading some supply/demand diagrams which is easy to pick up.

I have a B.Commerce at USYD and am majoring in Economics among others. I didn't do Economics at high school or any other business subject for the HSC.

p.s. I did all of your subjects at HSC level and some others on top, so it's not hard to pick up Economics as a major (or just meeting the core units).

Last edited:

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
they teach you from the ground up with 0 expectations other than you'll work/put in effort.

icecoffee

HSC
Hmm ok! Thanks you guys!

I'm pretty sure i've decided on commerce, so hopefully i'll be able to keep up.

@matthew

HSC
When I started my economics course we were specifically told that often students with no economics background perform better due to the fact that they haven't been taught incorrect/oversimplified things. Commerce at uni is really starting at the start.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
commerce/engineering sounds like quite a good mix for you in my opinion - i might allow you to explore and enjoy your math/science background and have kickass opportinities - any accounting/finance role is easily within your grasp.

also, you dont need to worry about no business/economics in high school. I did very similar subjects to you. maths/phy/software/eng/sor and didnt find it a disadvantage to do the econ subjects at uni. i found that i just sucked at econ and gtfo out of uni with just a single commerce degree.

by the time you finish uni, we'll well and truly be back in an upswing in the markets which means jobs galore.

hey brogan - whats crackin mate? smashing up JET wkps?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)