B Comm (Public Communication) @ UTS? (1 Viewer)

trao06

HSC
I'm only in year 11, but thinking I want to do that course with a 93.45 UAI rather than BA (Media/Comm) @ USYD with a 98.45 UAI.

What do you guys reckon with the UTS one? Is it any good? I'm considering doing that combined with an International Studies degree..

I know I have ages to think about it lol.. still wanting opinions though. Thanks!

[edit]
woops.. my bad, b comm means commerce doesnt it.. lol i mean b communication

Last edited:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
trao06 said:
I'm only in year 11, but thinking I want to do that course with a 93.45 UAI rather than BA (Media/Comm) @ USYD with a 98.45 UAI.

What do you guys reckon with the UTS one? Is it any good? I'm considering doing that combined with an International Studies degree..

I know I have ages to think about it lol.. still wanting opinions though. Thanks!

[edit]
woops.. my bad, b comm means commerce doesnt it.. lol i mean b communication
BA Comm (Pub.Com) isn't a bad course - in first year you start off with a core set of theory which involves studying the media, australian politics and social change, western colonial history, cultural studies (anthropology, gender studies and textual studies etc.) and communication processes. You will also do two practical subjects which involve the composition and writing of professional non-creative pieces, and editing them.

In later years you'd be studying advertising or public relations (or both, if you so choose); involving four subjects from one of these strands - which includes a professional attachment with a company.

To my knowledge, the CSU course has a much better reputation and more professional development - however if you want to stay in Sydney then this may be the best of the arts based PR/Advertising courses for you to take. It should also be remembered that arts based and business/commerce based PR/Advertising courses are different, so this course isn't really comparable to say a BBus (Advertising).

If you decide to add International Studies, you will study a subject comparing politics and social change on a more global scale, a subject dedicated to exploring the culture of your given country and then your study of your chosen language. Once you've reached your fourth year you'll go overseas to the country you have chosen. UTS offers International Studies in the areas of France, Canada (Quebec), Switzerland, Germany, Chile, China, Germany, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, USA (California, Arizona, Texas and Florida), Mexico, Spain and Thailand. You can also make arrangements to do further exchange to extend your time in those countries.

Either way, if you do the single or double, then you still get between four and six subjects that you can use on anything as well.

Essentially:
  1. CSU has a better course (possibly the best in the country) but its not in Sydney and doesn't have the same travel opportunities. You also get next to no choice in subjects. You'd also get to combine with a Business degree which would be fairly beneficial. It also as a very flexible entry scheme which involves submission of essays rather than the UAI.
  2. UTS has the most travel opportunities, has an extremely convenient location, has a good advertising/PR major but again, apart from those electives, doesn't have much choice in subjects.
  3. USYD has a (relatively) convenient location and there are some travel opportunities if you keep your grades high. Its media major is very generalised and has less recognition among the industry and has maybe one PR subject as part of its Media/Comm major. However you get a huge amount of electives to spend on other subjects as a result, which means you could major in almost anything - including advertising or marketing from the commerce faculty. Which is a fairly large plus.
  4. MQ is in Sydney but unless you live in the north, then it isn't very convenient to get to. There are also plenty of travel opportunities through their GLP program. Unfortunately you can only do a sub-major in PR, however you get quite a few electives that you can use on anything (though not quite as many as in the USYD degree - similar premise though). Its UAI is also lower than that of either UTS or USYD.

moose08

HSC
I'm a UTS Public Communication graduate. It's the most overrated uni course around and if I had my time again I wouldn't have done it. There is not a lot of choice of electives and the subjects are extremely repetitive. From what I have heard there is going to be even less choice in the future as advertising and PR will be blended as broad subjects.

As for the workload its a total bludge - show up for an hour lecture go to the tutes for 2 hours and muck around with pens and butchers paper. It's impossible to fail - I got almost a distinction for every subject but it doesn't count for anything - i'm unemployed most advertising agencies don't rate it very highly :mad1:. Don't think about a creative role in advertising either - you get a couple of 30 minute tutes in indesign and Pro tools and you're expected to be a graphic design expert or sound engineer. The thing that I laugh at most is that when you finish lecturers say that you should go to Ad School because the degree sucks.

Also don' be fooled into thinking that advertising people are paid well - starting salary is $30 000 with very long hours. And if you are not very good attractive the big agencies like Saatchi & Saatchi won't want anything to do with you.

If you get 90 UAI or over do something else. You can always find you way into advertising/PR later!

jennybeaan

HSC
BA Comm (Pub.Com) isn't a bad course - in first year you start off with a core set of theory which involves studying the media, australian politics and social change, western colonial history, cultural studies (anthropology, gender studies and textual studies etc.) and communication processes. You will also do two practical subjects which involve the composition and writing of professional non-creative pieces, and editing them.

In later years you'd be studying advertising or public relations (or both, if you so choose); involving four subjects from one of these strands - which includes a professional attachment with a company.

To my knowledge, the CSU course has a much better reputation and more professional development - however if you want to stay in Sydney then this may be the best of the arts based PR/Advertising courses for you to take. It should also be remembered that arts based and business/commerce based PR/Advertising courses are different, so this course isn't really comparable to say a BBus (Advertising).

If you decide to add International Studies, you will study a subject comparing politics and social change on a more global scale, a subject dedicated to exploring the culture of your given country and then your study of your chosen language. Once you've reached your fourth year you'll go overseas to the country you have chosen. UTS offers International Studies in the areas of France, Canada (Quebec), Switzerland, Germany, Chile, China, Germany, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, USA (California, Arizona, Texas and Florida), Mexico, Spain and Thailand. You can also make arrangements to do further exchange to extend your time in those countries.

Either way, if you do the single or double, then you still get between four and six subjects that you can use on anything as well.

Essentially:
  1. CSU has a better course (possibly the best in the country) but its not in Sydney and doesn't have the same travel opportunities. You also get next to no choice in subjects. You'd also get to combine with a Business degree which would be fairly beneficial. It also as a very flexible entry scheme which involves submission of essays rather than the UAI.
  2. UTS has the most travel opportunities, has an extremely convenient location, has a good advertising/PR major but again, apart from those electives, doesn't have much choice in subjects.
  3. USYD has a (relatively) convenient location and there are some travel opportunities if you keep your grades high. Its media major is very generalised and has less recognition among the industry and has maybe one PR subject as part of its Media/Comm major. However you get a huge amount of electives to spend on other subjects as a result, which means you could major in almost anything - including advertising or marketing from the commerce faculty. Which is a fairly large plus.
  4. MQ is in Sydney but unless you live in the north, then it isn't very convenient to get to. There are also plenty of travel opportunities through their GLP program. Unfortunately you can only do a sub-major in PR, however you get quite a few electives that you can use on anything (though not quite as many as in the USYD degree - similar premise though). Its UAI is also lower than that of either UTS or USYD.
Hi, I don't really understand your comment about USYD. Are you talking about a double degree in Commerce and Arts? Or something different?

asalvatore

HSC

Essentially:
Sorry but are you talking about UTS or UNSW in the first segment of your comment?? Because I want to do both advertising and public relations combined at UTS but they make you choose one stream apparently so I was thinking of doing it at UNSW instead unless its the same deal there too?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)