B Comm/B Sci --> B Comm? (2 Viewers)

implicity

HSC
I just finished my HSC and I have enough to get into a B of Commerce.. but I'm also considering a B Commerce / B Science.
Question though, if I choose a B Commerce / B Science, will I be able to drop the Science component after the first or second semester if it doesn't appeal to me? Without gaining an extra semester or so worth of study?
I'm v. interested in majoring in Actuarial Studies (double major with Accounting or Finance in B Commerce), or if I do B Commerce / B Science then major in Actuarial Studies & Mathematics (or Statistics or Comp Sci.. still thinking about it!).

But what's the best plan? Since either way I'll have to complete a 4th year to complete Part II for qualification in Actuarial.. Is it better off being in a combined degree with that 4th year included, studying subjects which also appeal to me, or just a straight B Commerce with (I think) a lesser workload for the honours year?

Argh I'm so confused :S

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
i was told that acutarial honours needs crazily high gpa, but someone actually doing actuary can confirm this. im guessing the fact that you want actuary is because you are decent at maths, and for the sci component you can do pretty much nothing but maths so im guessing it'll be safer to keep sci so you can go through the the fourth year. thats what im doing anyway.

Raginsheep

HSC
Strangley, I'm wondering about the same question but I know that doing a double degree will also take 4 years so you can still get part 2 qualifications.

implicity

HSC
Raginsheep said:
Strangley, I'm wondering about the same question but I know that doing a double degree will also take 4 years so you can still get part 2 qualifications.
Yeah that's exactly what I'm thinking :)
But if I do a straight commerce degree, and come back for honours, I'll probably have a lesser workload than if I continued with the combined Comm/Sci - then again, with combined comm/sci I get 2 degrees :)

The reason I'm considering Comm/Sci actually though is because I'm really into computers - the application of maths to computing, especially in the field of cryptography (god I love that stuff! :)) so I think I'd have to choose maths/comp sci if I wanted to do that.. Then again, can't I just choose minors from science, whilst doing a straight Comm degree? That way I'd fulfill my interests AND save myself some workload.

hmm. any ideas?

Raginsheep

HSC
I'd get the two degrees and then find work. From what I've seen, Honours is not *that big a deal* in the grand scheme of things.

If you love computers so much, why not just do Comm/Comp Sci?

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Part II qualifications will require you to complete actuarial honours at university, regardless of whether you are doing commerce or commerce/science. So 4 years (including honours) for BCom and 5 years (including honours) for BCom/BSci if you wish to obtain Part II.

That aside, it sounds like you really enjoy the maths etc. I would recommend doing Commerce/Science and majoring in computing for the science part - it complements it quite well. Or you could pick mathematics or even statistics as your major. Really, you can pick any major you want for the science degree, even one in physics or life sciences.

As for dropping the science component, no big deal. As for workload, science subjects (espeically maths) tend to have more contact hours than your straight commerce courses.

Raginsheep

HSC
Actually, you dont need Honours to get part 2 exemptions. If you do a course which takes 4 years, part 2 can be completed in the 4th year.
UNSW said:
Note that the Part II subjects can also be completed in Combined degrees, the Co-op Program in Year 4, as part of the M.Com in Actuarial Studies or as part time courses completed after graduating while gaining experience in the profession.
As for honours,
UNSW said:
For a start, students applying for the Honours year must have obtained a minimum average of 71% in their year 2 and 3 courses in the Actuarial major. It does provide the opportunity to complete the Part II subjects, but it is primarily designed to provide high quality research training to capable students. It will open up opportunities to complete higher degrees by research such as a PhD.

Razengen

RaVeR MeMbEr
HSC
Im planning to do Bcom/Science also this year and yea i wanna major in Finance/mathematics.... this helped answer some questions... but my final dilemma now is that... is it WORTH the 4 years of full time doing a double degree especially since the Science degree takes up alot of contact hours and study.... to employers that only require say a BCom... or does the Bcom/Bscience really do appeal and look better than a single degree ?

Raginsheep

HSC
Double is more appealing and will generally give you more options than a single degree.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
To obtain Part II qualifications, you will need to complete:

ACTL4001 and ACTL4002

You need admission into the honours program to be able to undertake these subjects. In order to complete the honours program, you will also need to complete a thesis, ACTL4000 and ACTL4003 plus one other option. Thus to complete honours, it requires 48 UOC, which is another full-time load for one extra year. Please consult the UNSW handbook for details. Honours in commerce/science is an ADDITIONAL year, bringing the total to 5 years.

I'd say stick with the commerce/science. I would advise you to worry about the Part II/honours etc later. Anything could happen, you might end up dropping actuarial studies altogether, who knows?

lucifel

narcissitic angel
HSC
t-i-m-m-y said:
To obtain Part II qualifications, you will need to complete:

ACTL4001 and ACTL4002

You need admission into the honours program to be able to undertake these subjects. In order to complete the honours program, you will also need to complete a thesis, ACTL4000 and ACTL4003 plus one other option. Thus to complete honours, it requires 48 UOC, which is another full-time load for one extra year. Please consult the UNSW handbook for details. Honours in commerce/science is an ADDITIONAL year, bringing the total to 5 years.

I'd say stick with the commerce/science. I would advise you to worry about the Part II/honours etc later. Anything could happen, you might end up dropping actuarial studies altogether, who knows?
you can do those two courses so long as in the 4th year you only have no more than 2 of your part I courses left to do. That was written all over the UNSW site. Oh you also need work experience too, summer work i think it is. It's NOT just exclusively for honours students. Though if you do a straight Commerce degree then you'd need to do honours to get Part II.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)