B Comm/B Eng (USYD VS UNSW) (1 Viewer)

InVinsanity

HSC
Hey, I'm looking to do a double degree of bachelor of commerce and bachelor of engineering and just want to know which one is better, and what the lifestyle is at the university and most of all how many darn hours am I looking at.
Thanks

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
UNSW is better for both comm and eng.
Depending on your type of eng - 24-29ish hours per week? Commerce I think is like 12-13 hours. So depending on the subjects you do in a semester, somewhere between that.

kooltrainer

HSC
well im currently com/eng .. and honestly, its not the best combination.. all of those i no doing com/eng are either gona drop one in their 2nd or 3rd year .. or they gona finish it with the regret of not dropping coz it is quite a useless combo...
though i wont drop mine coz i've done 5 com courses already (and it'd be a waste of money/time to do so) .. but i'v realised that there are much better double degree combinations out there that compliments each other.. i jus so envy those people who was knowledgble enough to no what to do during their first years..my impression of com/eng ppl are those who are still floating around aimlessly, no idea wat career path to choose...

kooltrainer

HSC
and as u can see in my sig... whenever somebody sees it, 95% of them will be like, wtf, wat a weird combo... gives a weird stare... quietly thinking to themselves, good luck with ur useless degree mate.. ur fked ... gg ... u'll never be able to compete with those doing com/sci for commerce careers.. or compete with those doing civ eng/enviro eng for engineering firms..

kooltrainer

HSC
im telling u this now coz i wished some1 had told me this when i was in my first year... but i know that even if sum1 had told me this in my first yr,, i will still be wary about whether this is the truth and continue on with my eng/com degree

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
I was thinking of doing that combination because a part of me wants to do engineering but if it gets too hard I can drop my engineering down to science. I can do that right?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
well im currently com/eng .. and honestly, its not the best combination.. all of those i no doing com/eng are either gona drop one in their 2nd or 3rd year .. or they gona finish it with the regret of not dropping coz it is quite a useless combo...
though i wont drop mine coz i've done 5 com courses already (and it'd be a waste of money/time to do so) .. but i'v realised that there are much better double degree combinations out there that compliments each other.. i jus so envy those people who was knowledgble enough to no what to do during their first years..my impression of com/eng ppl are those who are still floating around aimlessly, no idea wat career path to choose...
Sunk cost? Come on kooltrainer, that's like basic Econ. You don't count sunk costs in future decisions <_<

Hey, I'm looking to do a double degree of bachelor of commerce and bachelor of engineering and just want to know which one is better, and what the lifestyle is at the university and most of all how many darn hours am I looking at.
Thanks
UNSW is better. You're looking at 30-ish hours.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Yeh I was thinking to switch to a double with Commerce and Engineering at the end of my first year, but it's pretty fucking useless. You can't work in both. After 5-4 years in working in one field switching is kinda useless, cos you'd have to compete with all the graduates etc. Just pick one. Try it for a year, if you don't like it, then switch to the other.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
UNSW is better. You're looking at 30-ish hours.
No he isn't, Commerce have less contact hours than Engineers and you don't add the two together to get what his timetable would be. If you're going to mix Commerce courses into Engineering courses, it will be lower than straight Engineering. I'd say probably 18-24 max

Lolnah, no one does 30 hrs in staight engo, let alone with commerce, commerce makes the total hours less.
this

Commerce and Engo aren't completely useless together. If you major in Management for Commerce, then you can obtain higher roles in Engineering firms, but you'll never work for anything to do with Commerce. Commerce is essentially just to get you promoted easier/more qualified. If you're majoring in Actuarial like kooltrainer up there (lol) then yes you've wasted lots of money and lots of time.

B

bar2

No he isn't, Commerce have less contact hours than Engineers and you don't add the two together to get what his timetable would be. If you're going to mix Commerce courses into Engineering courses, it will be lower than straight Engineering. I'd say probably 18-24 max

this

Commerce and Engo aren't completely useless together. If you major in Management for Commerce, then you can obtain higher roles in Engineering firms, but you'll never work for anything to do with Commerce. Commerce is essentially just to get you promoted easier/more qualified. If you're majoring in Actuarial like kooltrainer up there (lol) then yes you've wasted lots of money and lots of time.
lol give him a break k. Shadow only does advanced maths :p

B

bar2

this

Who the fuck would major in management for commerce? Management courses are just bullshitting, you don't need to do lots of management subjects to be a manager.

I realise that eng/comm probably isn't that useful for a double (but then again, what would be useful combined degrees?) but if nothing else it is sort of "interesting". Yes, it's a quite expensive thing to do "just for fun and interest" but that's the way it works. It's always good to know shit about business and what not and a bit further on you might change your mind on what work you want to do, so it's kind of good in that sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Who the fuck would major in management for commerce? Management courses are just bullshitting, you don't need to do lots of management subjects to be a manager.

I realise that eng/comm probably isn't that useful for a double (but then again, what would be useful combined degrees?) but if nothing else it is sort of "interesting". Yes, it's a quite expensive thing to do "just for fun and interest" but that's the way it works. It's always good to know shit about business and what not and a bit further on you might change your mind on what work you want to do, so it's kind of good in that sense.
It still makes you more qualified to take a more senior role earlier on. Qualified, not necessarily suitable.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
It still makes you more qualified to take a more senior role earlier on. Qualified, not necessarily suitable.
nah, those management courses are aimed at running your own business kinda thing

only the MBA makes you more qualified, a major in mgmt means nothing

L

Liability

huh, that's interesting

I am doing eng/comm and at the end of the last semester I was considering dropping the engineering side (because I didn't like the digital logic side of it, as well as the labs).

After reading this I think I am going to just go to normal commerce degree , major actuary minor accounting, something like that.

I cannot really see myself being an engineer when I get out of uni, I am a lot better at commerce subjects and business pays a lot more than engineering. I would have most likely just got a business job anyway if I continued. Not really worth putting in 3 more years of university work(and fees!) and doing a thesis and work experience just because I had an interest in engineering, no point doing uni unless you are going to work in the field.

I have done 2 computing courses, 2 physics courses and 2 elec eng courses so it probably seems like a bit of a waste but I am fairly sure that I can count those as my gen eds. I really hope I am exempt from MATH1151/MATH1251 as I did MATH1141/MATH1241 for engineering and I got pretty good results at those.

To be honest the only real reason I chose engineering was because it was said it had lots of maths. Now, after seeing the computing you have to do as an elec engineer I have decided to not worry about it anymore. I have read that actuarial requires a bit of computing (but I am fairly sure not a serious amount, probably like excel sort of shit?). I figure I would be happier (as commerce subjects require less time and most of them are easier than engineering subjects) in just commerce.

With regard to what is highlightly, 5subjects isn't that many, you need 2subjects (12unit of credit) of gen ed subjects anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)