B.COM/LLB or B.ARTS/LLB at Sydney (1 Viewer)

hayesk

HSC
Just curious as to the necessity of 2u Mathematics in the Bachelor of Commerce degree, because I'm currently doing Mathematics and not really enjoying it.

I'm considering doing either the B.Com or B.Arts first, followed by a degree in Graduate Law, eliminating the whole 99.55 ATAR problem, except adding another year to my studies (I can live with that).

But yeah I can't decide whether I should drop maths, because it is likely that it will end up being my worst subject. Is it possible to cope in commerce without maths, even though it is "assumed knowledge"?

116Unashamed

HSC
I don't know about commerce but I can tell you that Arts at Sydney is really awesome. The main thing about it is the amount of options as there are no core units and the only compulsory units are junior units for whatever major you want, and you can choose from 50 different majors.

zzzz12345

HSC
Just curious as to the necessity of 2u Mathematics in the Bachelor of Commerce degree, because I'm currently doing Mathematics and not really enjoying it.

I'm considering doing either the B.Com or B.Arts first, followed by a degree in Graduate Law, eliminating the whole 99.55 ATAR problem, except adding another year to my studies (I can live with that).

But yeah I can't decide whether I should drop maths, because it is likely that it will end up being my worst subject. Is it possible to cope in commerce without maths, even though it is "assumed knowledge"?
I'm currently doing Comm/Law at USyd and if you want to do Comm personally I'd recommend that you keep the maths unless you really hate it/think that you'll do incredibly badly in it.
Though the level of maths for first year Comm subjects is quite basic, you don't really progress much past basic arithmetic in accounting, differentiation of linear equations and simultaneous equations in micro (well thus far though I hear that Business statistics has more involved mathematics), I have found that a strong grounding in maths has really helped my understanding especially in microeconomics. I think Advanced Maths is recommended for the Commerce degree as well and I know a few friends who find themselves struggling because they can't cope with the maths.
I'm not saying it's not doable and I'm pretty that with some self-study it's possible but I'd personally stick with maths since it definitely helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)