B.Com (Liberal Studies) Vs a B.Commerce/Science (1 Viewer)

Imaginethat

HSC
Hey,

Thanks so far for the help received; just got another question in mind :l

I'm interested in doing 3 majors; preferably 2 related to economics/accounting/finance and one in science (mainly out of interest). The B.Com (Liberal Studies) looks like a nice degree with its flexibility and ability, maybe in my case, to complete the 3rd major in say the Faculty of Science. Compared to the structure of the double degree of B.Commerce/Science, is there much difference? (apart from the extra yr)

In general, is it alright to major in something which, perhaps, won't increase your employment prospects in the long-term but out of interest? For me, I cannot imagine doing all 3 majors related to the fields mentioned above...

a037422944

HSC
Uni Grad
you have to do arts units in com lib but you can use them on economics. and you can have another science major (4 majors) in the com/sci
i think that any extra knowledge you have would increase your employment prospects. even if the subject doesnt directly relate to your future employment, you are still at uni to learn how to learn, which you are doing with that anyway.

hope it makes sense and kinda helps.

Imaginethat

HSC
you have to do arts units in com lib but you can use them on economics. and you can have another science major (4 majors) in the com/sci
i think that any extra knowledge you have would increase your employment prospects. even if the subject doesnt directly relate to your future employment, you are still at uni to learn how to learn, which you are doing with that anyway.

hope it makes sense and kinda helps.
thanks for the insight man. so basically, the double degree of B.Commerce/Science allows you to have a max of 4 majors compared to 3 in the B.Commerce (Lib Studies) degree? Another benefit I can see of the double degree is that it has a larger CP limit (240 as opposed to 192), which I believe allows you to take more elective units; e.g. studying a language like French which would be good. But to anyone reading this, 4 majors seems like a lot of work and overloading required...

Can anyone tell me more about this :)

a037422944

HSC
Uni Grad
thanks for the insight man. so basically, the double degree of B.Commerce/Science allows you to have a max of 4 majors compared to 3 in the B.Commerce (Lib Studies) degree? Another benefit I can see of the double degree is that it has a larger CP limit (240 as opposed to 192), which I believe allows you to take more elective units; e.g. studying a language like French which would be good. But to anyone reading this, 4 majors seems like a lot of work and overloading required...

Can anyone tell me more about this :)
yes it allows you to do more (to the best of my understanding.. at usyd atleast.. that is the case for commerce/arts)
another benefit is the fact that you come out with a double rather than a single degree (dunno if it actually is looked up better though)
and technically, undertaking 4 majors doesnt mean more work.. it means that you just dont do as many elective units but focus on 4 major areas (rather than doing bits from 5-6 major areas), like to meet the minimum requirements for the degree you have to do a certain amount of units, which units you do is up to you.. but within this limit it is possible to undertake 4 majors without having to do any extra work (if you understand what i mean) like its not necessarily more hours than doing 3 majors and electives?

anyone feel free to correct me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)