B Chiropractic Science (1 Viewer)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
yeah its laggin for me too.. thanks the info is appriciated.. lolz im not saying that u were giving me crap.. im just making it clear that risk is different.. u didnt mention it earlier.. and i didnt want to start flaming :p..

most med students are more open to it but we need to know tat u wont waste patients time.. and compromise their safety.. lik i hav done this with 'natural' supplements and homeopath.. its normal to want to kno.. and considering that chiro is a lil more reputatable i was concerned..

btw for the asthma.. its the fast acting Beta2 agonist relievers lik ventolin and O2 in a hospital or EAR depending on consciousness.. .the appropriate management changes about every 2-4 yrs usualli up their meds.. :S.. and tats the result of incr research

sillychikki

HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
most med students are more open to it but we need to know tat u wont waste patients time.. and compromise their safety.. lik i hav done this with 'natural' supplements and homeopath.. its normal to want to kno.. and considering that chiro is a lil more reputatable i was concerned..
It's great that you wanna know more about chiro and that you're open to it, luckily there's not as much opposition to chiro as there used to be. Although no one went to jail for practising chiro in Aus, turf war still existed. In 1965 the Aus Med Assoc passed a ruling prohibiting professional liasons with chiros. There are still people who get "put in their place" when their doctor finds out they're doing chiro.

If there was nothing we could do for the patient of course we wouldn't waste their time or do anything to compromise their safety, we're accountable for our actions!! We have to test the patient's vertebral arteries by putting their neck into extension and rotation and by being aware of the predisposing risks (history of stroke, smoking, diabetes etc).

By the way, every chiro has to inform the patient of the risks associated with chiro... we just covered it in class, its part of informed consent. You should have signed something to allow them to perform adjustments on you saying that you're aware of the risks involved, the possible outcomes of the adjustment and that there are alternatives to chiro care. It's really important!!!

X

xeuyrawp

sillychikki said:
By the way, every chiro has to inform the patient of the risks associated with chiro... we just covered it in class, its part of informed consent. You should have signed something to allow them to perform adjustments on you saying that you're aware of the risks involved, the possible outcomes of the adjustment and that there are alternatives to chiro care. It's really important!!!
I know it is. I never sign anything without first reading it, and I 1. never signed anything, 2. never got told anything.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
we spent 4 f*cking months in yr 1 being taught to get informed consent.. srsly.. always have paper explaining it all .. i can sympathise with ppl

i guess i want to kno more efficacy of procedures ... lik in med you wouldnt give a full body scan to a normal person.. cos its not worthwhile.. but lik what sucess rates are we talking about.. and is there a cure rate over 5-10 yrs etc...

cos lik with PwarYuex his headaches came back.. and noone has been able to explain it to me! lik i want a technical explaination... none of this dumbing it down for patients stuff...

Last edited:

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
oh my god now i'm so paranoid.

what if i screw up someone's spine? i'm kinda clumsy. my patient could end up seriously injured if i do something wrong.

bubble_tea

meLoncoLLie said:
oh my god now i'm so paranoid.

what if i screw up someone's spine? i'm kinda clumsy. my patient could end up seriously injured if i do something wrong.
don't get taken back by what they're saying.. macquarie ensures that their graduates are good enough to be out there on their own.

roger321

HSC
N/A
mz_bubbletea said:
don't get taken back by what they're saying.. macquarie ensures that their graduates are good enough to be out there on their own.

hahah its just good to know what you are getting into ;p
also it covers our arses so we dont get sued like a bitch...

anyway i did a quick search for VAD during a study break... only had time to skim through them so i hope they are relevant. ill try look for more though...

X

xeuyrawp

roger321 said:
hahah its just good to know what you are getting into ;p
also it covers our arses so we dont get sued like a bitch...

anyway i did a quick search for VAD during a study break... only had time to skim through them so i hope they are relevant. ill try look for more though...
You just wasted about 15 minutes of my study time. :(

X

xeuyrawp

roger321 said:
lol its only been 8 mins since i posted u liar! ;p
yeh. Bit it's going to take me at least 7 mins to read the longer article.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
the first paper was inconclusive :s its a discussion paper and no real date

the second paper was a lil weird... it didnt cite the source of its 2nd table :| and it made reference to low velocity whiplash.. but the table didnt state whether it was low velocity still or its sources ..

im convince of when to do it.. but to say tat im 100% isnt right
meh its exam time.. and i cant find the data in the pdfs...
btw i kno about VAD.. i realli want to find a large scale study on efficacy.. but i found them :)

roger321

HSC
N/A
heh... didnt the 1st one say that the force applied during an adjustment is less than the force on the vertebral artery during normal ROM... but then again i realy only read the 1st page .. my attention span is too short..

argh im like so brain dead right now o_0

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
roger321 said:
argh im like so brain dead right now o_0
can you crack my back for me.

i'm also having lots of difficulty initiating sleep because my shoulders/neck region is aways sore and I cant find the right pillow.

can you do that thing like Austin Powers? "JUDO CHOP!" and make people go to sleep :p

roger321

HSC
N/A
hahah i can crack backs ;p
its a bit diff from the way mq teaches it cos i picked it up from my old chiro....

im a bit more hesitant to do it now though..

(hehe on another note.. how weird/funny do the mass of chiro students around the stage E7B look when they are practising.... if you get in the right position you would so think they are doing something naughty ;p)

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
roger321 said:
hahah i can crack backs ;p
its a bit diff from the way mq teaches it cos i picked it up from my old chiro....

im a bit more hesitant to do it now though..

(hehe on another note.. how weird/funny do the mass of chiro students around the stage E7B look when they are practising.... if you get in the right position you would so think they are doing something naughty ;p)
Are you one of them? cause know a few of them.

roger321

HSC
N/A
nah... i might go there if i really need somewhere to practise before a test or whatnot.... but ive only been there once this year.. so yeh not that often

bubble_tea

bscienceboi said:
How much do those table things cost.
lol! i looked it up on ebay..
:p a good one is about $1300.. though u can get an alright-ish one for ~300

and gosh.. u guys know more about chiro than me.. :chainsaw:

X

xeuyrawp

bscienceboi said:
How much do those table things cost.
My old chiro just used a stupid table, whereas my new one uses the cool hydraulic one:D:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)