B Chiropractic Science (1 Viewer)

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
Hi everyone, I'm seriously considering doing B Chiro next year. I have some (probably very silly) questions, if anyone could help me out I'd appreciate it very much!

- What kind of personality should the ideal chiropractor have?
I'm not sure if chiropractic would be the right career for me. I love helping people and my instinct tells me I should pursue a 'healing' career. I like the concepts in chiropractic - healing without the use of drugs and surgery.

- How good is the B Chiro course in Macquarie?
Macquarie seems like the only uni in NSW offering this course. Is the faculty good though?

- Does anyone have any idea about the income of chiropractors?
The hourly rates look very high, but do chiropractors in general get much business?

Last edited:

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
You might want to consider Physiotherapy too.

Income is dependent on location and popularity of your business. But of course income should not be considered if you really enjoy what you do.

Most Chiro students I know are friendly, outgoing etc. You need to be willing to provide a good service for your customers like any other business.

Is that a pomeranian in your avatar? :D

Last edited:

bubble_tea

:D wow! if you're thinking about doing it now, then you're already on a good start to enjoying studying chiro!

meLoncoLLie said:
- What kind of personality should the ideal chiropractor have?
I'm not sure if chiropractic would be the right career for me. I love helping people and my instinct tells me I should pursue a 'healing' career. I like the concepts in chiropractic - healing without the use of drugs and surgery.
Chiropractors are generally outgoing people, all the older years doing chiro are obsessed about chiropractic and your attitude towards the chiro profession is pretty good! You will deal with patients whom have little or no knowledge about the wonders of chiropractic so you'll learn how to communicate and explain to the patients in simple english about whats going on and how to fix their problem. You don't necessarily need the personality now, it builds up on u.. =] 5th yr students look so hot compared to 1st year students, some of my older year friends say that its a trend, everyone is so much more open and professional in 5th year chiro.

meLoncoLLie said:
- How good is the B Chiro course in Macquarie?
Macquarie seems like the only uni in NSW offering this course. Is the faculty good though?
Generally the chiropractic faculty is good, though i really despise the science faculty. We have excellent chiro lecturers. You do one semester of physics, one year of chem and three years of bio and anatomy. Its better to not do HSC physics cuz then the uni will put u into a easier physics subject. HSC Chem and Biology is a must, unless ur planning to do a bridging course in chem or study everynight for it.. they go through 2 years of HSC chem in a month!! I didn't do HSC Biology and im kinda struggling with it at the moment..

Hours are long as you're doing 3 science subjects (each science subject has about 3 - 4 hrs worth of prac!).. the chiro pracs are pretty fun.. Expect your average uni week to be between 22 - 29 hours without breaks. Good thing is that the friends you make in chiro will stick by you until you graduate (unless if you's fail) because chiro is such a tight course, the uni chooses your subjects for you and you always end up with the same people - unlike business courses where the range of subject choices is much more flexible.

=p u feel each other in chiro pracs.. which is awkward at first but you get used to it.. actually it becomes fun after a while.. heheheh!

So after you do your 3 year B.Chiropractic Science, you have to do 2 years of masters if you want to be recognised as a chiropractor and own your own practise

meLoncoLLie said:
- Does anyone have any idea about the income of chiropractors?
The hourly rates look very high, but do chiropractors in general get much business?
apparently first year graduates get between 60 - 80k p.a (being in the top 5 graduate wages).. the average chiropractor in own practise earns about 200k after expenses.. I guess with most other businesses you start off a bit slow until you build your client base.. chiropractic treatment is the 3rd most demanded health profession (following medicine and dentistry).. after being established, expect to get around 100 - 150 patients per week.. chiropractic is covered under some health care companies and are in need to analyse work place injuries involving heavy lifting, etcetc...

Since you're thinking about doing chiropractic now, i say you should go for it, or at least put it as one of your preferences for uni. The UAI's quite low because not many people know about chiro.. some of my friends got 97++ and are doing chiro because its such a good profession. I was always design-focussed last year and i wanted to be a graphic designer, but i guess something came over me and i decided to do chiro like 4 days before uni preferences were due..

anything else u wanna know? :p

Last edited by a moderator:

sillychikki

HSC
I think mz_bubbletea's covered it all!

Chiro's heaps of work but it's a lot of fun too. You have to be sure that you really want to do it, lots of people drop out of it in first year because they don't really know what is involved. It gets really easy then to forget about your goal and get depressed about all the irrelevant science subjects they make you do! If you were interested, keep an eye out for the advising days or do what I did, go to one of the clinics that the 5th years run (at epping, eastwood or summer hill). The first consultation's free, you can get your spine checked out and you get exposure to what you'll be doing later on. Most importantly you can ask the 5th years questions while you're there. Also, if you have any more questions just post 'em up.

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
oh my god you guys rock!!!!

hey hey mz_bubbletea if i remember correctly, you're taiwanese too aren't you? :D
oh i'm doing HSC chem and bio now, i'll be fine so long as i won't have to do much physics and maths (ugh)

bscienceboi: yea i think it's a pomeranian :p soooo adorable

sillychikki: chiro looks pretty good to me at the moment, though i don't know if i can spend the next 40 years or so in this profession...but if i do change my mind during uni, i'll probably do something chem+bio related anyway

ReaveR

HSC
The view from a current second year student:

"chiropractors,,, ONCE graduated,, is a fine job to have.. i'd say u need naturally cheerful personality, not a made up 'nice guy' person.. That's AFTER u graduate though..... to graduate,, u gotta face dead cut up corpses, gotta face full on 25hr average weeks,, and to get into masters which u need to in order to become a chiropractor, there's fair bit of competition for spaces and u gotta face 8 to 5 daily uni life if u wanna complete masters in 2 years...

Otherwise it's good"

Oh, and you have to travel to USyd to cut up dead people. You get an optional excursion in first year I think.

Edit: For those who might be interested, here is his second year first semester exam timetable (sorry piro :p)

Fri 17 - Chiro201
Mon 20 - Bio223 (this is imposible)
Tue 21 - Bio246 (this is imposible coz it's so close to bio223)
Wed 22 - Hlth 207 (this tests ur memory.. like,, so many volcabulary)
Wed 29 - Hlth209

bubble_tea

:D go the taiwanese! do u speak min nan hua?

i don't know if i can spend 40 years doing this profession either... but so far it seems pretty good.. i'm scared that if i open a practise noone will come hehehe.. but it should be alright, my anatomy tutor is a chiropractor in his own practise and he seems like a shyguy..

=p and you have one straight career path: to be a chiropractor

overall fitness would be good (which i'm working on now), some of the really petite girls complain on how tiring it is to do some palpation tests - which is nothing compared to adjustments!

bubble_tea

ReaveR said:
u gotta face dead cut up corpses
^^ hey.. dead people aren't so bad... sure they have a weird distinct smell and the people who open them up, open them up brutally (scary), but after a few visits you don't see the bodies as people..

ReaveR said:
Fri 17 - Chiro201
Mon 20 - Bio223 (this is imposible)
Tue 21 - Bio246 (this is imposible coz it's so close to bio223)
Wed 22 - Hlth 207 (this tests ur memory.. like,, so many volcabulary)
Wed 29 - Hlth209
...... that makes me feel so much better......

bio and health are already nearly impossible for me..

ReaveR

HSC
mz_bubbletea said:
^^ hey.. dead people aren't so bad... sure they have a weird distinct smell and the people who open them up, open them up brutally (scary), but after a few visits you don't see the bodies as people..
You sound like you have experience cutting up dead people already?!?!!

And yeah, I remember him coming out of most of his exams not knowing or having done anything especially Hlth and in the end it was all good because you get compared to everyone else who also presumeably did just as bad.

bubble_tea

ReaveR said:
You sound like you have experience cutting up dead people already?!?!!

And yeah, I remember him coming out of most of his exams not knowing or having done anything especially Hlth and in the end it was all good because you get compared to everyone else who also presumeably did just as bad.
o_O nono i've just visited an autopsy a couple of times... the first time it was bad.. really bad, i sat in my seat cringing holding onto my friend for the first half hour.. then it got alright..

=p i got to hold a brain, and feel how squishy lungs are.. hehe truly amazing experience..

:( it seems like everyone studies really hard... the lecturer asks everyone a random question not expecting an answer because its beyong our knowledge and theres always someone in the crowd who shouts out the answer.. -_-

ReaveR

HSC
Ahh, first time is always the worst.
Travelling to USyd to do 'dead man studies' is a bit of a rort though, cos what if you have a class at MQ after lol

bubble_tea

well, hopefully it'll beef up my cooking skills.. :p

i think they'd consider us travelling here and there *crosses fingers*

ReaveR

HSC
I just had a look, both his usyd classes are at the end of the day.

It's really hard to make his timetable, I remember I helped him and it clashed to the shit, and now that it's done its totally retarded...random one hour breaks that no one needs.

Not sure what you mean by cooking, you cook dead people? :p

bubble_tea

thats so cool! do we get usyd student cards too?

eehe.. oh its just that i'm horrible at chopping meat.. :S

ReaveR

HSC
Nah you're there as guests you don't get student cards.

I'm not sure you should be practicing your cooking and cutting skillz on soggy eyeballs or hardened genitals :p

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
when I told my dad 'I'm going to study chiro" my dad was like, *raises eyebrows* you sure you can handle doing adjustments and stuff? they require a fair bit of energy!

mz_bubbletea: yeah i speak some min nan hua, I suck at it though :p

wow the workload looks pretty heavy... so you basically have to be at uni 5 days a week? and 8-5 daily during masters?! woah.

bubble_tea

yeah... but you get really used to it because all the chiro people are in the same boat as u..

=] build up your fitness.. you learn adjustments in masters which is 3 years away

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)