B Business Majors (1 Viewer)

mR.aCAdEMiK

Mo-del Student
HSC
Hi
Im startin B Business at Uts this year. I'm probably going to do Accountancy as my 1st major but i'm not too sure what to do as my 2nd major. So if anyone has any pearls of wisdom to share with me about what would be a good major to combine with accountancy, it would be greatly appreciated :)

I had a read of the majors available and found Financial Planning quite interesting. Does anyone know anything about this major and what its actually involves?

Also i heard that finance has the most maths to deal with in the business course. Is that true? What standard of maths is needed to do well in Finance?

Also does anyone know what the main differences between the finance and banking majors is?

Thanks in advance for your help.

mR.aCAdEMiK

Mo-del Student
HSC
Also current/new business students, what majors are you thinking of doing/ currently doing? How do you find that major? What career are you looking at after uni?

Jerruy

HSC
I hope to be mR.aCAdEMiK assistant after completing a b Business degree.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Sorry about the late reply mR.aCAdEMiK.

Firstly, you'll find what the financial planning major involves and the differences of the finance and banking majors in either of these online resources:
- Handbook: Business Major Choices (http://handbook.uts.edu.au/directory/cbk90169.html)
- B Business Course Brochure (http://www.business.uts.edu.au/courses/pdfs/ug_courseguide.pdf)

Any major would be good to choose for a second major. Honestly, I made up my decision to do an accounting major right after I completed all of my business core subjects (accounting for business, economics for business, managing people and organisations, marketing foundations, accounting transactions and business decisions or business strategy, fundamentals of business finance, business law and ethics and business statistics). These core subjects will give you a general idea of what you may be studying in the major (e.g. marketing foundations --> marketing major). So, I would not make up a quick decision before completing the core subjects and seeing where your interests lie.

Finance is probably the major which requires the most maths. From completing Fundamentals of Business Finance and Business Statistics, I found that you would need the knowledge of simple arithmetic and algebra, but the handbook (http://handbook.uts.edu.au/bus/ug/c10026.html) states that they recommend Mathematics (2 Unit) under "additional assumed knowledge". I'm not going to be doing a finance major, but I'd assume some more mathematics would be required other than arithmetic and algebra.

Financial planning does sound interesting. Some of my friends are choosing it over the finance major. You can see the specifics in the 2 links I posted above (about the majors).

I've chosen an Accounting major for a number of reasons: my interest in accounting, my performance in the two core accounting subjects, and I've also held two accounting job positions. I plan to complete my degree and enter the Chartered Accountants program.

mR.aCAdEMiK

Mo-del Student
HSC
thanks for the info man. helped me alot. still indecisive bout my 2nd major though lolz but i got a whole year to decide.

i wonder if sub-majors are too brief to be helpful thoguh as they only cover half the topics of that in a major?

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
mR.aCAdEMiK said:
i wonder if sub-majors are too brief to be helpful thoguh as they only cover half the topics of that in a major?
True. Have a read of the submajors and see if they interest you or not. I would not recommend something like an Accounting sub-major, as it does not meet the requirement for certification (ICAA, CPAA) upon graduation.

Also, be aware that there is a Business Majors Day sometime this year (happens every year). There is a short talk from careers advisors, the opportunity to speak to some lecturers and heads of faculties of all business majors and a free bbq.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)