B Business Administration (1 Viewer)

slab

HSC
Currently a HSC studnet.
Considering this option.

What's the degree like?

And also, I was considering combining it with Psycology (same cutoff and only one extra year).

Your opinions please!
:skip:

<3

Lou283

HSC
Hey,

Responses may be a little limited on here as it's exam period at the moment - I am just one of the lucky ones who has already finished.

I will therefore answer your question as much as I can, as I have friends doing the BBA.

I guess it depends on what you want to do with your degree. It's definately one to consider, the BBA tends to be more broad than the commerce degree and you don't major, you do however do 2nd year units in accounting etc so they degree itself is very useful if you want an holistic approach to business and managing a business. I would definately recommend the BBA if a) you don't want to major in something or don't know what you want to major in or b) looking to do small business management or own your own business. They do very similar 1st year units to commerce anyway so you can always switch if you decide to change.

Psychology is a good degree, if you think it will be useful and your right it is only another year. It is great accompanied with majors such as marketing or international business but may not be as useful (in my opinion) if you wanted to go into accounting for instance.

Do you know what you would like to do, or have an idea?

I hope that helps,

slab

HSC
Hey,

Responses may be a little limited on here as it's exam period at the moment - I am just one of the lucky ones who has already finished.

I will therefore answer your question as much as I can, as I have friends doing the BBA.

I guess it depends on what you want to do with your degree. It's definately one to consider, the BBA tends to be more broad than the commerce degree and you don't major, you do however do 2nd year units in accounting etc so they degree itself is very useful if you want an holistic approach to business and managing a business. I would definately recommend the BBA if a) you don't want to major in something or don't know what you want to major in or b) looking to do small business management or own your own business. They do very similar 1st year units to commerce anyway so you can always switch if you decide to change.

Psychology is a good degree, if you think it will be useful and your right it is only another year. It is great accompanied with majors such as marketing or international business but may not be as useful (in my opinion) if you wanted to go into accounting for instance.

Do you know what you would like to do, or have an idea?

I hope that helps,
Thank you very much!

Well, my ATAR is definitely not going to get to 89, which is what i intentionally wanted - for B Bsuiness @ UTS (with bonus points). I was going to major in management, and possibly marketing in 3rd year.

It is nearly impossible for me to get that ATAR, so I was thinking of this course @ Mq (Ryde; the City campus does not appeal to me).

So you say it'd be more recommended for running a small business? Well, that was what I was thinking of doing in the long run. But does it also equip you with the knowledge that you need to work as a manager in either the public or private sector?

Also, what are the people like?

Thanks again, and +repped :p

Lou283

HSC
Hey,

As far as I am aware yes, its very good at given you broad knowledge of every aspect of business functions. You will do 2nd yr accounting and finance aswell as business law, HR and strategic management etc - some units not available to commerce or any other students at the uni. Here is the link to the units that you must study: Bachelor of Business Administration - 2010 Course Handbook - Macquarie University

You could then take your electives in psychology or combine psychology like you said as a combined degree. The good thing about the BBA is, if you do it as a single degree you will have a number of electives so you can choose whatever you want to do.

Its basically just the bachelor version of the MBA, so it will be suitable for moving into any business or management job, depending ofcourse whether they would have preferred you to have majored in something. For me it's the only down point of the degree, but for some it's the best point.

As for the people and the uni itself, I guess thats all in the eye of the beholder. For me, I like macquarie because of the flexibility of the degree, I am doing a bachelor of commerce with a major in marketing and another major I am yet to decide on PLUS I get to take units from the media department as electives, which I am really looking forward too. Although I am sure its possible at the other uni's for me, it just seems so easy to do.

The uni itself is fine, some parts really need looked after but we are getting a brand new state of the art library at the end of the year. I find MQ a little bit disorganised, money hungry and rumour has it the exams are the hardest of any uni causing people to have to resit (which is more money for the uni) but I find the people really friendly. Lecturers are always a hit or miss unfortunately, I have had some great ones and some AWEFUL ones.

I guess every uni has its pros and its cons and I would just look at the first year units - if you are thinking of transferring, do the ones that are similar to the ones at UTS so when you move you will be credited for already doing the equivalent of the units needed - instead of having to do more 1st year units prolonging your degree.

Ziva

Banned
HSC
the exams are easy

easier than the content you do in lectures/tutes

and bba is the easiest degree in the world, 3rd year bba units aren't any harder than bba102

Lou283

HSC
Although I tend to agree on your point of it being a fairly easy subject - I'd like to make the comment that obviously you didn't do BBA102 this year. Easy classes and a bizarre exam with random questions that you had to have read every line of a chapter to come across it once.

Ziva

Banned
HSC
na when i did it, it was still that 150MC or whatever and you could just guess what was right using a business general knowledge

I have not found 200level or 300level BBA (or even mktg units from mktg101) to be any more difficult. In fact I would argue that they have been easier.

theaussieinhk

HSC
I am studying BBA with Commerce (Accounting).

I recommend that you do a double degree with BBA. BBA is a general business management degree and some people (if you don't have work experience. good at looking at the big picture and good with writing long answer questions in exams) you will not appreciate it as much. As you need to analyze so many aspects of a company.

I found BBA really hard (and performed poorly in this part of the degree) but I did really well in the Accounting side of my degree.

I also recommend a double degree because you might enjoy the other degree and it can be something to fall back on.

For me, I want to be a manage one day and I want to know how people work and how companies are managed and at the same time use my accounting skills.

Lou283

HSC
I am studying BBA with Commerce (Accounting).

I recommend that you do a double degree with BBA. BBA is a general business management degree and some people (if you don't have work experience. good at looking at the big picture and good with writing long answer questions in exams) you will not appreciate it as much. As you need to analyze so many aspects of a company.

I found BBA really hard (and performed poorly in this part of the degree) but I did really well in the Accounting side of my degree.

I also recommend a double degree because you might enjoy the other degree and it can be something to fall back on.

For me, I want to be a manage one day and I want to know how people work and how companies are managed and at the same time use my accounting skills.
I agree, double degrees don't go wrong and its a great base degree that will give you a great foundation in the functions of an organisation. Plus if you do decide you like one aspect of your studies much more than the others, it is so similar in first year to the BCom that you could easily internally transfer and major in whatever you enjoy.

kusokc

HSC
well .. if u wanna do bba along with psychology.. You are obviously looking on to organisational psychology or human resources right?.. cos this two are closely inter-related.

I m doing bba, ba-psych too .. I've just finished my first semster .. all i can tell u is that, psych is much harder than bba. sigh..

.. also i totally agree on the diffculty of bba102.. it was so bull shit.. serisouly, easy quizzes but crazy final exam ..I just barely passed bba102.. omg

Lou283

HSC
well .. if u wanna do bba along with psychology.. You are obviously looking on to organisational psychology or human resources right?.. cos this two are closely inter-related.

I m doing bba, ba-psych too .. I've just finished my first semster .. all i can tell u is that, psych is much harder than bba. sigh..

.. also i totally agree on the diffculty of bba102.. it was so bull shit.. serisouly, easy quizzes but crazy final exam ..I just barely passed bba102.. omg

I ended up getting a distinction - completely unpredictable. Its the worst organised subject I have ever witnessed but I assume the rest of the BBA Degree would be better.

Monstar

HSC
BBA is a generalist degree.. and it is the general consensus that it is easier avenue in terms of business degrees at mq.

With that being said, i suggest you do it. Why? just ask yourself, everyone wants Ds; you and most importantly employers. So why stress yourself out doing finance or accounting to get the same end result?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)