B Building Construction Management! (1 Viewer)

RNN-A-MUK

HSC
hey all"
i am currently studying yr 12 and was thinking of doing B Building Construction Management @ UNSW dats if i get in ofcourse.. i was just wandering if neone studying the course could tell me a little about it and whether there is a demand for construction managers

Also would Civil Engineering be a better course to study???
Thanx

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
u get a lot of money in construction management, but there aren't that many jobs.

elfm

HSC
I'm doing civil engineering so I can give you a little info about it.

In civil eng, you can major in project management which might suit your interests. Being a civil engineer will provide you with much more knowledge into the whole process of building something and exactly how to do it - construction managers don't learn this into as much detail, ie. they wouldn't know how to build a building from scratch without a lot of help. Civil engineers are in high demand and will be for a long time, but you really do need to like maths based subjects to enjoy it.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
in the smh the salary quoted was $110k, but it didnt say how much experience was required for that salary.....

elfm

HSC
Numero Uno said:
thats pretty good though civil will be around there after ~5 years experience
i don't think you'd get over 100k with 5 years experience with civil. i'd say you'd get about 80k, and these days, 100k is pretty much the highest most people go in this profession. though it does vary a lot with employer and self-worth and skill...

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
imo it really depends on whether you go into project management etc..

xxPanDa

HSC
soo if i do civil and major in management
i get paid more?

which uni is good for management
or civil?

how come there arnt alot of jobs for managemnet?

elfm

HSC
you are thinking too far ahead. mellow out dude. do what interests you...

there aren't many jobs in management because they are higher-up positions, which means that not anybody can do them, i.e. you'd need experience before you can even think about doing it

pottsy44

HSC
elfm said:
i don't think you'd get over 100k with 5 years experience with civil. i'd say you'd get about 80k, and these days, 100k is pretty much the highest most people go in this profession. though it does vary a lot with employer and self-worth and skill...
Construction management salaries vary enormously from 60k-200k+ (im not particularly sure, just sourcing it from salary surveys).

but the degree does not just mean you are restricted to construction management.

the other major discipline is quantity surveying. where a general QS will earn 65-85k, a senior (5+ years exp.) will earn 90-120k, associate 110-150k (130k seems to be the go). then directors earning 150-500k.

im not exaggerating the above salaries, as they indeed to earn in the proximity of these figures.

(im a cadet qs and i 'happened' to stumble over these figures while in a storeroom :wave: )

miyoko

HSC
Just out of curiosity, UNSW or UTS is 'better' for the B Construction/ building management course?, I'm sitting on a fence on this one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)