B Applied Economics? (1 Viewer)

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Anyone doing it, or know anything about it? Just curious about the course, so if anyone can help me out -- tell me what it's like and all, would be appreciated muchly.

googy_1985

HSC
N/A
Hello,
I am in 2nd year of Economics/Finance double degre - love it - great program...

NOTE! The University of Canberra is undergoing a major restructure of its academic program, and the BLIS Devision (which runs Economics) recommended to the Academic Board that ALL Applied Economic double degrees be closed to new admissions (due to low enrollments).. THis is why they are all cancelled on UAC.

BUT the University is creating a new course called Bach of Economics also with the option of a double degree with Commerce.

For info in regards to the course content, refer to www.canberra.edu.au/courses2005

Any questions , you can send me an email at c.m.elliott@student.canberra.edu.au (I dont come on here much, so best off emailing me)

Cheers,
Casey

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Yeah, I was really cut about that - I wanted to do combined Eco/Arts - so I could do History and Industrial Relations (though I can still do IR or something similar under BAEco)

Also, I'm not a school-leaver either (did the HSC in 2003) and also plan to defer for 6 months (Going to the UK), how does this work with UC?

I got 78.05 for my UAI, do you reckon that the cut off with jump above that? It was 75.2 or there abouts when I last checked.

What will the difference between the BEco and BAEco be?

And, most importanly, whats the social life like? Been told it's a rather laid back uni (in comparrison to say USYD or UNSW), which suits me just fine ;)

Thanks heaps for your help, Casey :D

Cheers,
Liz

googy_1985

HSC
N/A
Hello,

If you want to do Arts and Eco, you could do a Bachelor of COmmerce majoring in say Economics and Human Resources and and Bachelor of Arts majoring in something else..

Yes, it is 'ok' to start mid year with the Commerce/Eco program. Many people start in Sem 2.

In terms of the Applied Eco and Eco, there shouldnt be a lot of difference. I think they used the word applied to differentiate itself with the nearby ANU; but they are changing it back

In terms of the UAI, UC's minimum UAI goes up about 2-3 points every year. e.g. it went 70, 73 and 2004 it was 75. I would say it will go to 77-78.. But,, everycourse has different marks. I would put in an Arts degree as a preference and just pick subject you would be normally doing in the other degree and transfer in 6 months time and they will credit all the subjects...

Social life is really good, especially if you live on Campus. Yeh, very laid back. Everyone seems friendly etc which is good!

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Sweet! Sounds pretty good.. just off to change my prefs now :D Arts/Commerce first then?

Which hall do you recommend??

Thanks for that mate,

Cheers,
Liz.

Last edited:

googy_1985

HSC
N/A
Hey,

I am not sure if Arts/Commerce is on UAC yet - but DEFINATELY will be within the next month or two.... (As they have changed EVERY SINGLE course at UC, all courses have to get approved etc, and it takes a lot of time)

BUt.. when it comes up as New Course, just put that number in.

In terms of the new commerce degree, you dont have to decide on what major till yr 2 - so if you hate intro economics you don't have to go ahead with the major.

In terms of accomodation; I am off campus. My friends say it is good though. Apparently arscot house (?? spelling) is REALLY good for a socila life...

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
sweet!! Thanks for that, that'll be my first pref when they update then :D

Off to have a look at arscot house :)

Cheers!
Liz

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
I'mmmm coming tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! (On campus that is)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)