"Axe the Tax" on clubs (1 Viewer)

midget68

I say lift the tax and use that extra money on poor schools and desperate hospitals.

david88

HSC
i reckon

the tax should be made alot higher.
the clubs are getting shitloads of money from the pokies and it should be put towards the community.
Clubs are rich, they can affoord to pay it.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
david88 said:
the clubs are getting shitloads of money from the pokies and it should be put towards the community.
Someone is making money through a legal and heavily regulated means that you don't like. DEAR GOD. STOP PRESS. LET'S TAX THEM.

I believe that numerous reports have been made stating the contrary (job losses, closures etc). But, your insightful analysis of the particulars of the financials of major players in the gaming industry is impressive. I love your logic btw, "OMG THEY HAVE MONEY, IT SHOULD BE TAXED." I suppose you think that self-funded retirees should be taxed heavily because they are asset rich?

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
i have no problem with gambling addicts paying for my education :uhhuh:

Adam B

HSC
midget68 said:
I say lift the tax and use that extra money on poor schools and desperate hospitals.
Wouldnt imposing a tax raise more revenue that can be used for schools and hospitals?
Sure there is a lag between the initial expenditure in implementing a tax and the benefit of the revenue being recieved by the government, but this is very short! What is your point? A tax raises revenue for the government! Which they can inject into the economy!

Last edited:

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
midget68 said:
Umm, getting rid of the tax would reduce the amount of money the state government would get hence reducing the amount of money available to schools and hospitals since they are state government funded.

miaomiao

HSC
N/A
BreaKing said:
i have no problem with gambling addicts paying for my education :uhhuh:
I do. Grow a conscience. And how about we all vote labor at the next election so we can give some extra money to "poor schools" (ie. public schools) and hospitals

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
yeah might as well use the money for something beneficial
if people are willing to just throw it all away
i dont see why they cant throw it into something useful for the community
that will benefit them too..

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
miaomiao said:
I do. Grow a conscience. And how about we all vote labor at the next election so we can give some extra money to "poor schools" (ie. public schools) and hospitals
What? Assuming you're saying voting Labor in the federal election, how would that help state government funded public high schools? Oh and hospitals have nothing to do with the Federal Government either by the way. Just so you know.

Want to help hospitals and schools? Then go lobby the state labor government for the funding because it isn't the responsibility of the Federal Government.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Raiks said:
Umm, getting rid of the tax would reduce the amount of money the state government would get hence reducing the amount of money available to schools and hospitals since they are state government funded.
When he said "lift" i think he meant "increase"

miaomiao

HSC
N/A
Raiks said:
What? Assuming you're saying voting Labor in the federal election, how would that help state government funded public high schools? Oh and hospitals have nothing to do with the Federal Government either by the way. Just so you know.

Want to help hospitals and schools? Then go lobby the state labor government for the funding because it isn't the responsibility of the Federal Government.
In its annual budget , the federal government allocates money to state governments to spend on specefic areas such as education and health. I beleive its Howard who has increased funding to private schools and reduced funding to publics, not Carr. Howard's the one whos fucked up medicare, not the NSW state labor government as i seem to recall from debates during the last recent election

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
miaomiao said:
In its annual budget , the federal government allocates money to state governments to spend on specefic areas such as education and health. I beleive its Howard who has increased funding to private schools and reduced funding to publics, not Carr. Howard's the one whos fucked up medicare, not the NSW state labor government as i seem to recall from debates during the last recent election
Actually, there was debate about the PBS (pharm benefit scheme), with the Labor government questioning whether the Howard government will scrap the scheme (this has been shown to be unfounded), there wasn't really much about Medicare, unless you're talking about Medicare Gold (a proposition by the Labor party that would allow seniors hospital access ahead of anyone under the age of 75).

State Governments decide on how their money is spent, the GST is only part of their revenue along with stamp duties, and while there is a clause that states that the federal government has some control over where the money is spent, it basically leads to public education and healthcare and the like. NO STATE MONEY GOES TO PRIVATE SCHOOLS, IT IS ALL FEDERAL raised from income tax etc.

Now, despite increased state revenue from stamp duties (caused by the housing boom etc) the state of our hospitals has declined, basically because the Carr government has neglected to spend money on tangible goals such as infrastructure and wasted a windfall of cash from increased income in pursuit of intanglible goals such as the budget surplus, which really has no benefit since their credit rating is so damn high anyway.

If you want to point your pretty little finger, point it towards the Carr government.

Oh and back to the topic, this is a state imposed tax.

Last edited:

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
I agree with that whole heartedly. I think the Carr Government must realise that maybe that forgoing the surplus and actually fixing infrastructure will be a better vote winner, because people place more of an emphisis on trains and hospitals than whether a state government is in debt... although the public does like to hold an interest in the federal budget. It's just simple politics, address the most public and seemingly most severe problems first.

Lorie

HSC
david88 said:
the tax should be made alot higher.

What about RSL's and sports clubs, their revenue from this goes stright back into the community.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
You can't justify a tax because it's on (what you feel to be) a distasteful industry. It's just a moneygrab. And yeah asq, I read the Pratt article, it was pretty good even though I thought his stance on Kyoto was questionable.

At a federal level though things are a little different, since the Carr government was actually running rather large surpluses which have been frittered away over time. In contrast the Federal government tended to run wafer thin surpluses (giving back alot of the surplus in the form of tax cuts). It wouldn't be prudent for the Federal government to go into debt, considering we are going through a period of growth now anyway it would lead to inflation. Carr however could have afforded to spend more.

Interestingly enough, our extended period of economic growth may have stalled infrastructure investment because of fears of inflation. :cool:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)