AWAs and Common Law Contract? (1 Viewer)

yehdatsrite

HSC
Hey guys,

Being quite confused, what is the main difference between AWAs and Common Law Contract, they are both individual contracts, negotiated between employees and employers on a one on one basis, so what exactly is the point?

And also, since AWAs are to be abolished by the Rudd government, does that mean mentioning AWAs in essays or short answer would make my answer wrong or incorrect.

The current industrial framework is messy and confusing, after WorkChoices and 2008 Bills what exactly does the framework look like, Leading Edge textbook did a really shit job in explaining it.......

zammitm1

HSC
You could still talk about AWA's, but the Rudd Gov. has replaced them with similar ITEA's (Individual Transitional Employment Agreements). It would not be wrong or incorrect to mention AWA's though, mainly because eco is about knowing trends and recent history of whats happening in the economy, but u may still want to make mention of the ITEA's. As for Common Law Contracts, i'm not too sure what they entail or what they are exactly.

yehdatsrite

HSC
thx zammitim1
hopefully there wont be any essay questions on labour market reforms this year

coolcapsicum

HSC
yehdatsrite said:
Hey guys,

Being quite confused, what is the main difference between AWAs and Common Law Contract, they are both individual contracts, negotiated between employees and employers on a one on one basis, so what exactly is the point?

And also, since AWAs are to be abolished by the Rudd government, does that mean mentioning AWAs in essays or short answer would make my answer wrong or incorrect.

The current industrial framework is messy and confusing, after WorkChoices and 2008 Bills what exactly does the framework look like, Leading Edge textbook did a really shit job in explaining it.......
so agree about the text book not explaining it too well..
common law.. i think has something to with judges/courts setting laws?.. or sumthing.. i'm not to sure..

gnrlies

HSC
I can say something about the leading edge textbook. At the time of publication a lot of policy details were still being worked out which is why it is brief. But it is important to realise that for the HSC you dont really need to know the specifics (but of course you could throw it in an essay to impress). So anything that is in the textbook is above and beyond the requirements of the syllabus.

AWA's are in essence similar to common law contracts except that AWA's were within the industrial relations system and contracts under the common law system. There is a difference here. Firstly the IR system has certain inbuilt proceedures for dispute resolution, unfair dissmissal etc etc. Common law contracts are like any other contract and are often more expensive when dealing with disputation. Nonetheless they are a lot more popular because they provide complete flexibility in agreement making.

But of course they were both individual contracts that have the same core advantges in terms of productivity based bargaining etc.

coolcapsicum

HSC
gnrlies said:
I can say something about the leading edge textbook. At the time of publication a lot of policy details were still being worked out which is why it is brief. But it is important to realise that for the HSC you dont really need to know the specifics (but of course you could throw it in an essay to impress). So anything that is in the textbook is above and beyond the requirements of the syllabus.

AWA's are in essence similar to common law contracts except that AWA's were within the industrial relations system and contracts under the common law system. There is a difference here. Firstly the IR system has certain inbuilt proceedures for dispute resolution, unfair dissmissal etc etc. Common law contracts are like any other contract and are often more expensive when dealing with disputation. Nonetheless they are a lot more popular because they provide complete flexibility in agreement making.

But of course they were both individual contracts that have the same core advantges in terms of productivity based bargaining etc.
soo common law contracts are -- unregistered
AWAs --registered?

leisl1990

HSC
awa is a formal agreement needed to be registered with employment advocate. and it can be lower than award standard.

common lae contract is an informal agreement but the condition must be higher than award standard.

that's what i know

gnrlies

HSC
leisl1990 said:
awa is a formal agreement needed to be registered with employment advocate. and it can be lower than award standard.

common lae contract is an informal agreement but the condition must be higher than award standard.

that's what i know
Well yes that was the controversy regarding AWA's (i.e. they could negotiate away from the award) but lets not forget that AWA's dont exist anymore.

For this reason you will not be asked about them (I would doubt)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)